Eye Care Expert Forum
Hot compresses help

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hot compresses help

I have dry eyes and so I try to put hot compresses on my eyes at least twice a day, but yesterday one of my eyes seemed to have gotten redder after the hot compresses.  Is that cause it was a bit too hot????  I thought you were suppose to put it as hot as you could stand it, cause it felt hot, but not to where it burned me  or bothered me.  Any info of help would be great...........
Dear ironman850,

Too hot of a compress can burn the eyelid skin.  I would recommend just using warm, not hot.  If the eyes are still red, I would recommend that you seek the care of your eyeMD. Dryness can sometimes cause redness as well.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I appreciate you getting back to me.  I think I'm going to try cool compresses for now.... I did go to my eyeMD and he said exactly what you said, that it was my eye, getting even drier than what it was already.  Couldn't understand how it's getting worse I've been on Restasis for 2 months and use artificial tears faithfully.  But nevertheless he put in the 3 mo. plugs and prescribed Zylet for the inflammation.  If there's anything else you think I can do, at my end to speed up some relief for my dry eyes, I would really appreciate any suggestions..... Thank you again.........