Eye Care Expert Forum
How long before Restasis works?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

How long before Restasis works?
I have had severe dry eyes since last June, including all the symptoms such as stabbing pains when I wake up. After 2 steroid drops, Sooth XP, Freshtears gel at night, and now finally Restasis and Lotemax, I see no improvment. I have been taking the Restasis for 5 months now. If it was going to work, would it have worked by now? I show no signs of improvment. After spending lots of money that is hard for me to come up with, I am at my wits end. Any other suggestions?
I would recommend a second opinion.  You may also have another condition like blepharitis associated with your dry eyes.  You have not mentioned punctal plugs which keep your own tears from draining out.

Dr. O.
Unfortunatly, I can't afford the punctal plugs. Should the 2nd opinion be from another opthomologist, or a medical dr? I will look into bepharitis.

Thank you for your reply. However, you didn't answer my original question...would it have worked by now if it was going to..