Eye Care Expert Forum
IOL Multifocus lense replacement

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

IOL Multifocus lense replacement
My friend had  inner ocular lenses multifocal surgery for cateract surgery  and now cannot drive at night because halos are so bad from the lights. Is it possible to have  monofocal lenses replacement for the multifocal lenses?  If so are there any certain recommendations for doctors who might do this type of surgery. She wants to get it right.  She lives in St Paul Minnesota
Yes, it's possible, but first she needs a few questions answered:
Any remaining Ammetropia?
Any eye surface irregularities?
Any posterior capsular opacity?
If yes to any of the first 2, then treat these before treating question 3 (if a yes answer). If none of these solve the problem, then removing the IOL (intraocular lens) may be the best.

Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, Medical Doctor, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for your quick response....I was reading online and would Lasik be an answer to fix this problem or just replacing the IOL with a monofocal be the best.  This would be after the other 1,2, and 3 if applicable were treated.
Thank you.