Lasik or IOL
I am being advised by the surgeon at my local clinic that the better option for me would be to have RESTOR lens's fitted rather than Lasik surgery.

They confirmed that my eyes were clear with no signs of cataracts.
I am 50 years old and my eyesight is -2.5 and -3.5

My problem is that the more I research on the internet the more confused I get. For instance, I read that the maximum for astigmatism in IOL surgery is 0.5 ... yet my eyes have -0.75 and -5.7 ... yet my local surgeon still recommends the IOL ? Who is right ?

It is a huge decision and I don't want to get it wrong.

Many thanks,

Robert

You are going to need to do a lot of research. Since you have no cataract you are having a clear lens exchange essentiallly a cataract operation without a catract. Use the search feature and archives to read about all the problems with multifocal IOLs like ReStor. Get at least 3 different opinions. If you go with ReStor insist on the new aspheric +3 ReStor.

JCH MD
Thank you for your comments.

I am very unsure about the ReStor option but I felt some pressure from my local surgeon to choose this.

I would prefer the Lasik treatment but was advised against this due to my age, 50.

Robert

You should never feel pressured.  Everything you are talking about is elective.

You need to get two more opinion.

I don't know if you understand but if you have lasik and it works perfect you will not need glasses for distance (20 feet away or further) However at age 50 you will need glasses for reading and a different RX for shopping,computer, etc.

You will not be glasses free.  If you are able to read some now without glasses or use a computer without glasses now after lasik on both eyes you will NOT be able to do these things.

JCH MD
Thank you very much again for your advice ... I will get another 2 opinions before I make my decision.

Many thanks.

Robert
I have had cataract surgery, but would never have considered such a thing if I had good corrected vision with glasses. You would have to be a real glasses-hater to think of having that done. There is a risk associated with any surgery. In the case of cataract surgery, there is a risk of getting a detached retina. I found this risk to be shockingly high - something on the order of a percent or so. The multifocal IOLs also seem to have greater risk of dysphotopsia, which you can read about extensively in the various threads on this forum as the doctor suggested.
I agree with Harold.  I am a 62 year old male, myopic with -6.25D in each eye.  If my natural lens did not have a cataract or could have been corrected with eye glasses, I would never have had cataract surgery.  Eye glasses (or contacts) for your fairly mild myopia is the way to go.  Even if you had to also have reading glasses later, keep your natural lens for as long as possible.

I do have two Restor IOL's, but they are not as good as natural lenses.
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to send their honest comments.

Having read the replies on this forum and other forums it has become blindingly obvious to me that I would be crazy to trade in a perfectly healthy lens for an artificial lens.

I will therefore be opting for the Lasik procedure.

Thanks again,

Robert
I don't really understand your question. If you are going in for surgery just in order to avoid wearing glasses, ask yourself this question. How many eye surgeons have you seen who have gone in for surgery to correct vision? How many eye surgeons at your age (50?), wear glasses?
All the best
sam
i agree with lasikiol

if your perfectly alright with glasses,why opt for laser correction as it can have complications also the procedure is irreversible so please ask yourself if you really need that
sorry, its sam500016
Wow... This discussion is really making me reconsider IOL even though my vision is bad there seems to be a fair chance this procedure could actually make I'd worse.  Perhaps there is another option for me short of IOL.  The TV ads make it seem so simple & that you have perfect vision!