Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular Hole Surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular Hole Surgery
I noticed on a previous post that a patient asked if a macular hole enlarges or causes further damage if left alone?  The response from Dr. Kutryb was that "If it is a partial hole it can get worse.  If it is a complete hole it can't really get any worse".

I have been diagnosed with a Stage III full-thickness macular hole that is the size of 170 micron.  I have had the hole since October 2009.  My acuity vision has gone from 20/20 to 20/50, but seems to have stabilized since the beginning of January 2010.  Based on Dr. Kutryb's reply that a complete hole doesn't get any worse, I'm not sure if I should proceed with the surgery.  I thought that my vision would eventually deteriorate without surgery.  

Could you please share your thoughts on surgery?

Thanks.
Dear jonicar,

As the vision diminished recently, it may warrant surgical intervention. Nonetheless, I would recommend that you ask your retinal specialist this question.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
My retina specialist is recommending surgery, but I wonder if surger is necessary in light of what I have read in an earlier post where Dr. Kutryb wrote that a complete hole can't get any worse.  Do you know what percentage of macular holes do not progress further and vision does not deteriorate any further?