Eye Care Community
Maxitrol/Maxidex Drops

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Maxitrol/Maxidex Drops

I had a Pterygium excision with conjunctival autograft about 6 weeks ago, initially I was using Maxitrol drops 6-8 times a day for about 2 1/2 weeks, I was then switched to Maxidex drops 5 times a day. About 1 1/2 later I noticed a change to the lower part of the lower half of my field of vision, which appeared blurred and sensitive to light and is worse is bright light. The surgeon was consulted the next day who immediately stopped the drops and checked my ocular pressure which has risen to 31mm hg. Tablets prescribed to lower pressure which was within the normal range within 36 hours. After that bit of history my question to the medical experts is, the night before the vision problem started I had taken an over the counter sleep aid, Doxylamine Succinate 25mg (1 Tablet) could this with the other medication have contributed to my change of vision or is it purely coincidental? I will mention that field vision tests have been carried out and this shows that I only missed 1 light to the extreme lower left of my visual field and central vision is perfect.

Thank you...

Poorly eye
Your increase of pressure is consistent with steroid glaucoma and that should be noted to all future physcians taking care of you.  The medicines you took by mouth should not have caused this.

JCH MD
Thank you for your quick response!
In your professional opinion do you have any idea what would of caused this loss? (I was worried that the Doxylamine Succinate could of contributed to this loss) Will it be permanent or do you think it will return with time? For info, my surgeon has noted that I have quite small optic discs and there was no sign of glaucomatous damage to the optic disc or pallor. It was noted that there was slight tortuosity of the blood vessels in that eye but visual field tests as mentioned above showed that I missed only 1 spot.

Thanks again....

Poorly eye
About 8% of the population if placed on steroid eye drops or ointments have a increase of pressure often dramatic. The pressure generally goes away after the steroid is stopped within days to weeks, in few cases in several months and very very rarely does not go away at all.

Steroid "responders" are more common in patients with a family history of glaucoma.

JCH MD
The pressure has dropped significantly as I have been on Diamox tablets and Xalatan drops since the pressure rise was noted. Do you think the visual field impairment i.e the blurring of vision sensitivity to light and glare will return to normal with time or is this loss permanent?

Poorly eye
whats the difference eween maxitrol and maxidex eye drops?
The pressure has dropped significantly as I have been on Diamox tablets and Xalatan drops since the pressure rise was noted. Do you think the visual field impairment i.e the blurring of vision, sensitivity to light and glare will return to normal with time or is this loss permanent?

Poorly eye

Given the short time that the IOP was elevated there is a good chance that it will recover with time.

Maxidex and Maxitrol I believe are just brand names for the same medications

JCH MD
Thank you very much!

Poorly eye
-