Eye Care Expert Forum
Obstructive Floater and retinal tears

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Obstructive Floater and retinal tears

Yes, I know floaters are fairly untreatable, but I have a big problem.  I've had cataract surgery in both eyes (around age 40) and during the initial exams, the surgeon noticed retinal tearing.  Laser surgery was necessary before the cataracts could be done.  After the surgery, while driving,  a capillary burst or tore, and sent blood surging into my eye - it looked like an ink blot, then like a swarm of insects.  It took almost a year for them to become transparent.  Now they have clumped into a HUGE floater that obscures the center of my vision when ever I work on the computer or do any close work.  I routinely read the middle of words wrong, and have to go back and reread to get the meaning - and at my job, that's just not acceptable.  The floater is not completely opaque, but not quite transparent either.  

I visit a specialist for the retinal tearing, and tell her about the vision problem, but she gets irritated with me and says there's no reason my vision should be affected.  (Trust me, she wouldn't be doing surgery if she had it!)  I have just moved and will see a new Dr. soon, as soon as my insurance is instated.  

Any tips on how to present this, so I am taken seriously this time?
Dear shadagee,

See the new retinal doctor and explain the difficulty that you have. Try to quantitate it and also learn of possible treatments as well as risks.  If you have a better understanding, you will be able to make an informed decision and participate in your treatment options.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

There is some laser surgery for removal of particularly large and relatively stationary floaters. It is still experimental and very controversy but it might be worth a shot in your case as it appears to obscure your vision. Note that it is an "off-label" use of YAG laser so there are still significant risks.

See here for example:

http://www.eyefloaters.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Has your doctor told you that you are not a candidate for a vitrectomy because of your previous retinal tear? I would ask that question and get a very clear understanding if a vitrectomy is a possibility for you. I had a huge Weiss-ring-attached-to-the-hyaloid- membrane type floater that drove me out of my mind for over a year. I ultimately had a vitrectomy to remove it. I'm not suggesting you should or should not do this, but inquire about the option.