EYE CARE
COMMUNITY
One eye bigger than the other...possible causes?
by RL1988, Jun 26, 2009
Hi, hope you can help with my problem.

My right eye is larger than my left eye. In pictures, you can clearly see the difference. If i focus on something, my right eye will appear larger than the left. Is this because the right eye is weaker so is straining? Not sure if this is a "lazy eye".

Thanks in advance for any help; it's much appreciated.

RL
Member Comments (54)
If this is "new" it could be a serious problem and you need to see an Eye MD. Take in some pictures, full face of you taken 4-5 years ago to document that this is new. The problem could be a droopy eyelid (ptosis) or a bulging eye (exophthalmos).

Find and eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH MD
by RL1988, Jun 27, 2009
Thank you for your reply Dr Hagan. It is not a new problem, I believe I have had this for some time (over 5 years).
Still needs evaluated but makes it less likely to be something serious.

JCH MD
by katiejones83, Mar 25, 2010
Hello RL - It seems like it is a pigment or freckle in the conjunctiva of the eye or what they call "conjuctival nevus." This is harmless. Usually people with dark complexions have these and it is just the stimulation of melenin. But, just in case, the person should be checked up by an opthalmologist or eye doctor.
-
by aphrodite777, May 23, 2010
I just woke up and for the first time in my life MY right eye is smaller then my left eye... what is the problem. on the same side my ear has been killing me for a week..
APHRODITE 777:  Your eye will not suddenly change size. Most likely your upper eyelid is droping down (ptosis).    SUDDEN PTOSIS WITH PAIN IN THE HEAD, FACE, EAR MIGHT REPRESENT EVOLVING SHINGLES, EVOLVING CEREBRAL ANEURYSM OR OTHER SERIOUS PROBLEM. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU BE SEEN IN AN ER NOW, OR CALL AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST AND ARRANGE FOR AN EXAM MONDAY MORNING. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.

JCH MD
by 3dimensional, Jun 15, 2010
i hope doctors are aware that your right eye is bigger than your left eye naturaly before freaking your patients out and that probably changes based on if your right or left eye dominate as well as if you have cateracts,etc.
when you look straight ahead and put both fingers to your eye pushing your fingers to your nosebridge and bringing them out to judge the distance difference, you can see that one finger will bulge a couple of centimeters, its normal, depending most likely if your right or left dominate. if you look to the side is when your eyes level out. your eyes arent bigger than the other, the eyemuscles simply contract differently looking striaght ahead. also in my opinion people do not see cross eyed or parallel, they see cross parallel,your eyes are naturaly crossed and see at different angles from the inside area of your eyeball range (yes from the pupil). when you close your right eye a double image of your finger shifts to the left, the reverse when you do the right because your eyes naturaly see crossed, not parallel, more like crossed parallel (converging at left and right angles) that is a community medical myth lol. descartes realized this when he created the cartesian plane wich is why its at a right angle, for perfect mid range viewing (semi straight ahead is for normal viewing although your eyes converge at angles across your focus target). if your patients eyes are leveling out sizewise or changing over time can help a doctor decide to adjust lenses (thicker or thinner lenses depending on eyesize change). it can be both muscle related and other problems.
by Inspired111, Jul 02, 2010
I have a lazy left eye since birth and the last few years the eye seems to look bigger than my right. It's now to the point that my friends are noticing and it's getting me down. It seems that the eyeball is bulging more than the right eye. What could be causing this