Eye Care Community
One eye bigger than the other...possible causes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi, hope you can help with my problem.

My right eye is larger than my left eye. In pictures, you can clearly see the difference. If i focus on something, my right eye will appear larger than the left. Is this because the right eye is weaker so is straining? Not sure if this is a "lazy eye".

Thanks in advance for any help; it's much appreciated.

RL
Tags: eyes, bigger
If this is "new" it could be a serious problem and you need to see an Eye MD. Take in some pictures, full face of you taken 4-5 years ago to document that this is new. The problem could be a droopy eyelid (ptosis) or a bulging eye (exophthalmos).

Find and eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Thank you for your reply Dr Hagan. It is not a new problem, I believe I have had this for some time (over 5 years).
Still needs evaluated but makes it less likely to be something serious.

JCH MD
Hello RL - It seems like it is a pigment or freckle in the conjunctiva of the eye or what they call "conjuctival nevus." This is harmless. Usually people with dark complexions have these and it is just the stimulation of melenin. But, just in case, the person should be checked up by an opthalmologist or eye doctor.
-
I just woke up and for the first time in my life MY right eye is smaller then my left eye... what is the problem. on the same side my ear has been killing me for a week..
APHRODITE 777:  Your eye will not suddenly change size. Most likely your upper eyelid is droping down (ptosis).    SUDDEN PTOSIS WITH PAIN IN THE HEAD, FACE, EAR MIGHT REPRESENT EVOLVING SHINGLES, EVOLVING CEREBRAL ANEURYSM OR OTHER SERIOUS PROBLEM. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU BE SEEN IN AN ER NOW, OR CALL AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST AND ARRANGE FOR AN EXAM MONDAY MORNING. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.

JCH MD
i hope doctors are aware that your right eye is bigger than your left eye naturaly before freaking your patients out and that probably changes based on if your right or left eye dominate as well as if you have cateracts,etc.
when you look straight ahead and put both fingers to your eye pushing your fingers to your nosebridge and bringing them out to judge the distance difference, you can see that one finger will bulge a couple of centimeters, its normal, depending most likely if your right or left dominate. if you look to the side is when your eyes level out. your eyes arent bigger than the other, the eyemuscles simply contract differently looking striaght ahead. also in my opinion people do not see cross eyed or parallel, they see cross parallel,your eyes are naturaly crossed and see at different angles from the inside area of your eyeball range (yes from the pupil). when you close your right eye a double image of your finger shifts to the left, the reverse when you do the right because your eyes naturaly see crossed, not parallel, more like crossed parallel (converging at left and right angles) that is a community medical myth lol. descartes realized this when he created the cartesian plane wich is why its at a right angle, for perfect mid range viewing (semi straight ahead is for normal viewing although your eyes converge at angles across your focus target). if your patients eyes are leveling out sizewise or changing over time can help a doctor decide to adjust lenses (thicker or thinner lenses depending on eyesize change). it can be both muscle related and other problems.
I have a lazy left eye since birth and the last few years the eye seems to look bigger than my right. It's now to the point that my friends are noticing and it's getting me down. It seems that the eyeball is bulging more than the right eye. What could be causing this
hi i am a teenage girl i have this problem
my left eye is bigger tHAn the right one i have tHis problem Over three years one doctor teLLs me i need to do an operation
pLEase tell me what to do ???
when i wake up in the morning my eyes are even and after i wash my face,
my left eye is bigger and you can tell through the day. even when i
take a picture, you can really tell the diffrence.

what should i do to make my eyes even?
This is my theory. It is highly unlikely all these people posting online have a serious eye defect that everyone else in the world does not. As the world turns to a more "high def" sense, we are going to notice more and more mistakes, especially within our perception of ourselves.
Take note of the English language. We read left to right, so technically your eye sight or vision is going right, back to start, right, back to start. Basically, it is building up momentum going to the right. As you'll notice most people reporting this problem, note an "enlargement" or dominance of the right eye. The people reporting the opposite kind of denounce my theory, but let's ignore those for now.
Japanese language can be written or read right to left, left to right, top to bottom or bottom up. I think they have it figured out. Hebrew was written right to left, maybe someone noticed a problem and tried going the other way to correct it.
I noticed this problem in myself, but I rarely notice a problem in people I meet, so I think of it in that positive way.
I also think this problem lies within when we talk to people we have to focus on one point, as we can't look into both of someones eyes with our own two eyes, so we end up focusing on one eye and the recipient focuses on that eye as well. When I started noticing this I noticed peoples eyes somewhat twitched back n forth as I changed my focus points. For me it helps to stare at the point between peoples eyes, as it gives the Illusion to be staring at the person. But our culture teaches us to look into someones "eyes" when talking to them to show respect, but I don't think that can truly be done. I could be crazy, or completely right but I think I'm right.
I also notice this problem in television, as when we watch tv we focus on the picture admitted as if we were there, completing ignoring the actual tv itself and all of it's actual surroundings, such as a wall or fireplace.  I think this is why all of a sudden there is a push for 3d tv, but that's another theory. Give me some feedback anyone
Hi!
I had an accident when i was 12 years old(i am 21 now), which caused paralysis of my whole right side of body. I have trained myself and become physically strong again and live a very normal life. However, after the accident, my face has had some weird changes.
I broke my nose and it was crooked; i had an operation last year where it got fixed. Still, my face seemed kind of pressed/crooked from the right side. It is very hard to explain, and everybody in my family, whom i ask, says i am making big deal out of things that NOONE notices. I still wish to get an answer about it, if possible.
I have done some research and my right side of the face have many symptoms similar to those of people suffering from Bell's Palsy. Only that I got this way after the accident.
What is most visible of all is my chin. It is drooped(only half/right side of it). My doctor says that it is because when i hit my face in the accident, the chin suffered inner injury and therefore produced alot of scar tissue inside. There is no scarr or even a wound on the chin. There is a lot of scar tissue in it, which has gathered like a bult at the tip of it, making the right side of it looking drooped.
Then, it is the right side of the upper lip. It looks slightly smaller than the left side of it. Also drooping, as if i am sad on the right side while it is fine on the left side. The philtrum(two lines between nose and upper lip) is also "dragged" towards the right side, where my lips are droopy. It is very annoying, because it makes it VERY obvious, atleast for me, to see that my face is hald skewed.
My right cheek is "pressed" and droopy, also when i smile it is very obvious in the pictures that i pull the muscle alot more + downwards; compared to my left cheek which appears more tight and i can control it while smiling.
Finally, moving to my right eye. It is difficult for me to see whether it has been big ever since the accident or turned big in past couple of years, since i was very uncomfortable taking pictures after the accident and have very little material to compare my current situation with. And, those little pictures that i do have, are with my face half turned to side. However, comiing back to my eye.
Not only is it bigger than my left eye, it is also somewhat lower than the left eye. It is the same issue with my eyebrow, right lower than the left. What is very strange is, that i happen to loose my contact lense (i hate using glasses because i feel my face appears moe crooked wearing them than without) much often from my right eye and rarely from left. In most cases, i feel like it dries and falls out. I have never noticed that i am slow in my right eye or anything. But it has bothered me a lot that it is drier compared to left eye. I have even tried eyedrops without noticin any change.
Could it be that i am slightly slower at my right eye, keepng in mind that i sufferred paralysis or that the whole muscle system on my right side of the face if weaker and therefore also my eye is weak? My eyesight is also weaker on on right, and it is the one getting more weaker for each time i get my eyesight checked. i have found some facial exsercises on net for those with bell's palsy, and hoping it might help me too. Is there anything i could do to improve my situation? I have been at my GP so many times, and  i now feel as if he doesnt care whatever problem i come with. He has asked if i want to consult a psychiatrist. Please help! ..

oh, i hear bad on my right ear compared to my left ear. I dont know if that was important to tell or not..

Please reply, and i appriciate you spending your time =)

Thank you so much!
Hi, I was involved in an RTA, 20 years ago. I suffered paralysis down my right side. The problem of my larger right eye - only can be seen in photographs. I think the worst thing is that I'm an actor so my press shot I appear to look quizical - with one eyebrow shooting much higher than the other. In real life, even when I'm on the screen, you can't notice anything, but the simple fact of focusing on the camera makes the right eye appear larger. The camera never lies I guess, but as long as I don't focus on it it's something I have to live with. I am not perfect, no-one is, I've got to tell myself that - I was really surprised that someone else has experienced this. The earlier messages sounded cosmetic, and your reference to balls palsy sounds slightly worrying, I can look a bit CP when I enter the shoot full of emotion and shaking! I working on things so that I am healthy, but thanks for the info - I'll check out the facial exercises - thanks. T
Hi!
Thanks for replying, I have been waiting for quite a while now to get reply from Doc.

I wouldn't say am glad to hear there are more in my situation, but it sure is very comforting that you are working as an actor/model, even with such problem! I have shied away from cameras for far too long. I guess its about time I accept my appearance and make the best out of it.
I clicked on your DP, and I'm sorry if that bothers you. I did it only out of curiosity to see your eye, if it is your picture. I won't say there is as much difference in my eyebrows like in your DP, but the eyes' situation is exact same. And it is very true what you said above, it is most visible in camera only. Even I myself noticed it in my picture, and had never seen it before in morror. I still can't see it in mirror to be honest.
It concerns me, whether other people see what I see in the mirror or camera.
I also saw a model's picture in a fashion magazine who had eyes like you. And I asked my friends if they noticed what I saw. None of them noticed it and had to look at the picture for quite a while before they agreed with me.

This is the exsercise video I am trying to follow; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQlLbdZ5-G8

It is mainly for the entire face, while situation is a little different at your side. Still, hope it helps.

And I have to say, you are very good looking!

To Doc! I would appriciate if you could come with any suggestion soon :)

Thanks!
when i smile my right eye close more than my left eye.this thing is obvious if i looked at the mirror.i am 33.please wht is the problem?
does your eye look smaller when you sleep on its side?
ddo majority of people look at your right eye when they talk to you or the  left one?
hello doc i have the same problem of the above post...my left side eye is getting big..ang regarding for my sight its ok everything is clear but doc i notice that below my eyes both sides there is a red part side the nose and thin i applied some antifungal cream and its gone, but the problem my left side eye doc still big :( hope u can help me thank you...
hi, i m gourav my left eye is smaller then right nd i have been suffering from this problem since when i was 2 years old, plz suggest me
I one had this problem of my right eye being biger than my left one about 2 years ago and it had been a problem for many years. I have congential glacoma and my pressure was up and alot of water was being made in my eye. I recieved a freezing treatment, and it brought down the pressusre significantly in my right eye and my right eye was small as it grew back the pressure, for the most part remains stable and my right eye is the same size as my left. hope this helps!
hello i am try to share my problem here hoping somebody can answer my question, its all most 4months i suffer pain . i feel pain in my right eye and thru to my ears and down to my right neck and sometimes its connect on my teeth.. sometimes the pain is gone sometimes the pain is back. i been in the doctor and he give me a otic drop which is for the ears because he says maybe its cause of nerve disorder but then the pain will back again.. please help me ... sometimes my face numb because of to much pain i feel in my right eye thru my right ears and to my neck ,, i am hpinh you can answer my question tnx
I will make two suggestions:

first, since your pain is related to the way a particular nerve branches across your face, make an appointment with a neurologist, a specialist in this kind of problem.

Second, google 'migraine headaches.'  I have migraines myself, and they cause  headaches that are one-sided and can involve all the areas you mention, including the neck (where it is called carotidynia).
I too have a small left eye and a bigger right eye. I go to the opticians every 6 months or so they've never mentioned anything about it and neither have I. At my next check up should I ask them what it could be. ( I wear glasses btw if that helps :))
one side of my face is bigger than my left side, never noticed it before until a few years ago.. what coulld it be what doctor sould i see?
i have the same case, my rigth eye become smaller than the left eye, and i started to have double vision only when i look below, but my vision is normal when i look to eye level and upward... I only have double vision when i look downward.. do you think nerves are involved in my case? because i had a hard headache before i experienced this, I also experiencing neck pain and back pain, until now..
Hi, my name is carlos and I've had an eye bigger than the other for years and its ruined my life. I'm embarrassed to go any where, even around my own family, I've quit jobs because of it I don't like looking for jobs because of it. I feel like its blocking my way to getting on with my life. If you could help Dr. Hagan, I would deepley appreciate it.
You have to love all the nonmedical posters who dismiss posters eye issues (guess they stayed at a Hampton & got their medical degree over night?). the Dr. is correct with the potential issue & shingles, etc.

If you have had some "smaller eye issue" for years since birth (look through pics), than it is not an unusual issue. It is common for one to have a smaller eye than another...but if it concerns you, see a Doctor

If you woke up, suddenly have a droopy eyelid &/or pain, you must go to a Dr today. That IS a sign on shingles. Happened to 2 friends of mine & you must get immediate treatment (I also had shingles; however it was not on the face). If you suddenly have a bulging eye &/or pain...go to a Dr immediately.

If you have had a cosmetic issue all your life & it bothers you to the point it inhibits living, talk to a plastic surgeon.

They key is a unique, sudden (or evolving) change must be addressed!
For days I've had migranes (migraines) they come and go, today I cried because of a situation I witness and I had to wash y face and get back to work, later felt my right eye like droopy and slow to blink, but didnt think much of it, when I got home my mom told me my right eye was very small, when i saw my self in the mirror I saw it and got a headache again, is it serious?
I REALLY DONT NO WHAT IS GOING ON, BUT LATELY MORE DAYS THAN OTHERS, IT HAS HAPPENED OUT OF NO WHERE, MY GOOD LEFT EYE'S EYELASHES FALL TO WHERE MY TOP OF MY COLOR BEGINS, AND MY RIGHT EYE'S EYELASHES FAL ALMOST TO THE BOTTOM OF MY PUPIL, AND I DONT NO WHAT IS GOIN ON, IT'S NOT PAINFULL OR IRRITATING, IT JUST LOOK REALLY BAD, LIKE I SAID SOME WORSE MORE DAYTS THAN OTHER, SO SOMEBODY PLZ TELL ME WHAT'S UP.
i too have the same problem  .
same problem ..i huv ...if u ever got any solution plz ..tell me .. my email : ***@****
I also noticed it in pictures for a while.  even though i've never questioned about it 2 doctors that i've seen now have requested that i have my thyroid checked.  I will be having the test soon but that ,aybe something you want to see if your dr's noticed.
i have bad eyes one eye is almost blind but when i take pictures i notice that my left eye which is my good eye is smaller then my bad eye it looks really bad and embarrasing to take pictures can someone tell me why that is or is there something i can do to fix it thanks
I've noticed that today too! I think it is because of my lazy eye, my weaker eye is bigger, I believe it is straining itself!! I might start to wear one contact lens to see if the issue persist (since my other eye is perfect sighted)
I found this while searching google for an answer to why my right eye is larger than my left, and its ruining photos, because the flash makes my right eye look huge and my left eye stays the same, i have only noticed this getting worse over the years, my brain never sleeps its constatly working over time, and i cant stop it, i stare through tv etc, and people talking like if im ot listening then im constantly day dreaming even when i sleep, i have insomnia, so could it be to strain maybe
Forgot to mention i had bells palsy when i was pregnant 10 yrs ago, where one side of my face looked paralysed, it was since then this problem occured with my eye, could it be that is just didnt relax back to normal because the rest of my face did.
I'm having something like this except my eye just looks bigger than the other. Like it's bulging and my eyelid is different too like I don't have a crease above my eye on that eyelid anymore. It's even more frustrating when doctors think my eye has always been like this & I'm overthinking it. If anyone has similar syptoms (symptoms) as me and has found the cause please dont hesitate to message me.
i ve been wearing d spectacles for almost 5 years .but i ve experienced a slight  size decrease in ma right eye compared to d left eye nw ,when i watch any thing without spectacles i do observe this so any precautions r ny reasons for this eye size decrease!!!
Its new for me that my right eye is smaller than the left eye I have only noticed about a month and sometimes it looks different ans also when I wear make up like mascara or eyeliner it looks even more smaller.Could you  please tell me if there is anything to worry about.It looks really abnormal.
My left eye is smaller than my right eye. It is really noticable and everybody makes fun of it. I am 14 years old and i was born with this problem can it be fixed?
Hi jb341, not sure if you've found the root cause to your problem, but i just wanted to share with you that i'm experiencing the same problem, i.e., both eyes look even when i wake up in the morning, but one side of the eye gradually becomes smaller throughout the day. I've been dianogsed with Myasthenia Gravis, which causes me to experience partial ptosis (droopy eyelid) on one side of the eyes. Perhaps you should get yourself checked out too, if you have not already done so.
Hi enleen please get yourself tested for Myasthenia Gravis - Acetylcholine Receptor Antibodies. I've been tested for the same and a couple of the syptoms (symptoms) are like partial droopy eyelid and double vision. I've been on medication for approximately 1 month now and the double vision has greatly improved. I reckon what you have might be the same that i'm experiencing.  
I do have thyroid problems, since i was 21. however just the last 5 years i had noticed that my right eye is bigger than the left. than it seemed it went back to normal and just the other day i noticed it again. Can being tired, and mentally drained from studying cause it look bigger? is there any sort of facial exercise that would help me so that it would drop my eye lid?
i have noticed that as well, that my right eye is 2mm bigger then my left eye, this was confirmed by the doctors. They told me that it could be tyroid but were not sure. i went to go take my tyroid tests and they came out to be normal. Although i am a  pre-diabetic. I have done many many research (iam a medical research dork) so i research alot and read many things. some are stupid and come make alot of sence and i came up with that its most probaly glucoma...but its sad to say that many doctors dont know this?
hi i'm also a teenage girl. i too have the same problem as u .if u find any sloutions pls share that with me .thank u
my id:***@****
my right eye is bigg and left is small and i have recently shortsightness
Hi, I Have Had This Problem From Over 4 Months Now I Have My Right Eye Smaller Than My Left eye, I have Gone To The Doctor, I Guess My Eyelid Had Some Bumpy Little Balls That Made My Eyes Close And Had A Pink Eye,The Doctor Give Me Some I Drops And My Eye Doesn't Get Pink Anymore Or Swollen But I Notice That I Still Kinda Have Some Little Bumps" Is Nothing Like Before " But My Eye Still Smaller Then My Other Eye... I Don't Know What Caused That ? What Should I Do ? Help!!!
Everyone points out that one of my eyes (my left eye) appears to be smaller, or even almost closed SOMETIMES whenever they see my pictures. I don't understand..is it just naturally like that? It's annoying because in most of my pictures, the left we seems to be smaller and duller while my rigt eye is bigger and seems more natural
Everyone always points out that in pictures, my left eye seems smaller and even almost closed SOMETIMES. I don't understand. My right eye appears to be bigger and more natural while my left eye is smaller and duller.
my left eye is getting smaller. 1 am 23 and it happen a week ago. when i focus on screens or in light i little bit irritate. plz suggest me what to do.