Eye Care Expert Forum
One of my eye has a black circle in the middle and distorted vision.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi, I am 59 years old and one of my eyes has a black circle in the middle and my vision in that eye has become distorted. Also, it is blurry when I try to read.
I have seen the doctor and am currently awaiting for the test results. I am also waiting for a second opinion from another Optometrist appointment I have scheduled for tomorrow.
Any ideas what is the cause of this? I don't see flashes of light, so I don't know if it is associated with retinal detachment.
Thanks in advance,
Jim.
You need to see an ophthalmologist, preferably a retina specialist for a diagnosis.  Another optometrist exam will not be adequate.  Your symptoms could be caused by an epiretinal membrane, but also by macular degeneration.  Do not delay in seeing the eye-MD.
I had a similar thing happen to my eye 2 years ago at age 57...turned out it was an ERM Epiretinal Membrane=scar tissue that formed over my retina/macula area.  My optomotrist spotted the "glimmer" during a slit-lamp eye exam and sent me to a Retina Specialist, who confirmed it with his exam and an OCT test.

I went to 3 other Retina Specialists who also confirmed it and I needed surgery to remove the scar tissue.  The distortion is from the scar tissue tugging on spots on the retina, if this is indeed your case.

Good luck, get several opinions if it is a ERM as the Membrane peel/Vitrectomy surgery is a serious one that needs to be done by a super skilled retina surgeon.