Eye Care Expert Forum
Pink eye aftermath

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pink eye aftermath

I had pink eye over a month ago caused by a throat infection. All antibiotics were taken except for one pill. Everything cleared up just fine. For about a week and a half after my eyes would dry up and I felt as if someone put weights on my eye lids making it very hard to keep them open as if I was tired, though I wasn't.
Those effects happen less often as it had did at first. My main concern now is that ever since that my right eye has not been the same. It probably happens 5 times a week and any time randomly. For about 5 minutes it starts hurting, I have a hard time keeping it open, again like a weight was placed on my lid. And it's reaction time is quite a bit slower then my left eye. When I open my eyes the right one is quite delayed and opens very slowly as my left eye is already fully open. My vision has blurred in the right eye occasionally. I went to a doctor and he said nothing is wrong. But clearly something is. And I'm concerned as this happens at work, home and when driving. Help!
Hi Emily, you need to go to a Eye MD, Ophthalmologist. Not just any doctor knows about the eye. Some pink eye viruses or bacteria can wreak havoc on the ocular surface. This needs to be evaluated and an accurate diagnosis provided to you. Only when a correct diagnosis is made, can the symptoms be treated.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
www.tmcgaritymd.com
Thank you so much. I had actually been to an optometrist today. My eye is Inflamed, therefore I'm on steroid-type eye drops. Going back in a week to see if it gets better.