Eye Care Community
Pterygium Removal Costs ..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Pterygium Removal Costs ..

I had one Pterygium removed about 4 months ago.  The area where the Pterygium was is still really RED...in addition to the area where skin was removed to place over the area where the Pterygium was.  The eye looks worse than before the surgery.  My Dr. told me it may "never" look totally normal again.  I am shocked and Horrified that she did not tell me this BEFORE I went through with the surgery.  Why in the world would it not ever look "normal" again?  In addition, the cost for this one eye - including the hospital - has been well over $25,000.00.  I am really disgusted by the amount of money a person is charged for one small surgery. I was only in the (outpatient) unit for ABOUT 3 hours.  How can this be legal?  She did not tell me the surgery would cost this much.  I did ask. They told me that I would have to call the Hospital to find out.  I got the run-around when I did that.  I am so disappointed with the costs and the results of this entire process.  I still have another eye to do.  Can you give me any suggestions?  THANKS!!  
1. Use the search feature and archives to read about ptyergium surgery. Recovery is long, eyes stay red a long time, reoccurences occur about 20% of the time.
2. You should have been told your costs prior to surgery.
3. If the doctor and hospital are participants in your insurance plan they will end up writing off 50-60% of the bill.
4. If not you can file a complaint with your insurance company, and you can ask your insurance company to investigate why you were not given a reasonable estimate of your costs.
5. You can ask the hospital and doctor to write off charges in excess of what your insurance pays.
6. You can get a second opinion from an Eye MD that specializes in cornea/external disease. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
you got f---ked