Eye Care Expert Forum
Ptosis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Ptosis
Hi! I am 14 and have mild congenital ptosis on my left eyelid.
I am planning to get a Frontalis Sling surgery, but my surgeon mentioned that there will be lagophthalmos and eyelid lag in downward gaze. Is this only a risk or will it definitely happen after surgery? Please tell me! Thanks in advance!

(I am asking because I'm afraid the doctor may over exaggerate things to prevent any dissatisfaction after the surgery)
You mention mild ptosis. Usually a frontalis sling is done for rather severe ptosis, with poor levator function of the upper lid. I would get a second opinion before having the surgery. Overcorrection and poor lid closure are risks of any upper lid procedure, if the eye lid droop is overcorrected.
But will there be any lagophthalmos and eyelid lag in downward gaze after other surgery is done? Since you mentioned that frontalis sling is done for severe ptosis, than i think im wrong. The doctor did not tell me the name of the surgery so it might not be frontalis sling i just thought it was frontalis sling.