Eye Care Expert Forum
Punctured Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Punctured Eye

I was on a ATV about 4 weeks ago when a tree branch wipped back and hit me it my left eye.  My eye imediately watered alot.  The next day the eye was very very sensative to light and I couldn't be in any room with lights.  Then the next day it got a little better but not great.  the next day I went to the local eye doctor who looked it over and said the branch had went 80% through whatever the coating of the eye is and just below the pupil and now was healing.  he gave me some steroid drops and to use every 3 hours.  I did all he said for 2 weeks.  Then I went back because the whole time I still haven't had perfect vision in that eye.  It is still a little blurry and is sensitive to light somewhat.  he looked at again and said there is a scar but it has healed and that is probably what I am seeing.  Well i don't want to see it and want it to be back to normal and get rid of the sensativety to light.  The eye still seems like it is irritated as it wants to shut on occation and makes me want to rub it but I try to resist but not sure if the scar is causing this or what else could be going on.  what should I be doing and what can be done to fix this as it had been to long and is really getting anoying. I have been taking eye drops with no luck.  Thanks.
4 weeks for this type of problem is a short time.  I have not examined you so you should ask these questions to your doctor.

Dr. O.
I have asked him but he said it should have been cured by now and said this may be the way it will be but I can't have that.  Can it take up to 6-8 weeks?  I just dont want to go back in if I dont habe to.  Will it normally cure itself and is there something else I can be putting in it for the time being?
If the scar is near the center of vision a corneal transplant may be needed.

Dr. O.
yes it is near the center he said.  Probably 1/16th of an inch below the center.
Anyone else have seen this and should I wait another month or so because I need to see clearly.