Eye Care Expert Forum
Pupil dilating

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pupil dilating
Whenever I go from a dark room to a light room my eyes don't dilate like I've noticed others do. They will get small, then large back and forth and slowly oscillate to where they need to be, instead of going from large to small. Is this an issue, or just how my body is? I never thought anything of it until a friend saw it and freaked out.
Dear churchpunk1987,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether what you are describing is normal or not. The pupil does normally respond with a condition known as hippus and is a normal rhythmic movement of the pupil in response to light and dark.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

I'm taking 6 drops a day of Pred Forte post op. Had glaucoma surgery 3 weeks ago.  My pupil remains about 3/4ths dilated. Will this correct itself after I discontinue the drops?