Eye Care Expert Forum
Red Eyes from Contact Lenses
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Red Eyes from Contact Lenses

I started wearing Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism contact lenses about 4 months ago. My eyes have been slightly red ever since I started wearing them. I tried switching from Opti-free to Re-nu and I started to use Clear care today. My eyes were remained red when I switched to Re-Nu, and after wearing my contact lenses with clear care today, they have remained the same. The redness is not severe, you have to look closely to notice the redness. The white part of my eye has small red veins on most parts. I always wash my hands with a scentless soap when handling the lenses, I replace my contacts as I was told to, I don't sleep in the lenses and I clean my lenses properly. The redness is reduced when I stop wearing the lenses for a day and after I wake up. I use Systane Ultra lubricant eye drops after removing my contacts because of the dryness. I don't experience any other symptoms, except slight discomfort after removing my lenses, but it gets better within minutes. My contact lens fitters said that these contact lenses were right for me. I want to know if it is normal to have red eyes when you wear contact lenses?
Related Discussions
1573381_tn?1296151159
Sometimes, switching around between brands helps.  You may also want to limit the number of hours per day in contacts.  Some people never are able to do well with contacts.  I myself was like that and don't wear contacts anymore.

HV
2 Comments
Blank
I also booked an appointment with my contact lens fitter in 2 weeks to have this checked out. I wanted to see if anyone else suffer eye redness and wear contacts? It is also very inconvenient for me to wear glasses because of my active lifestyle. I have read many reviews for Acuvue Oasys lenses and almost all of the people say that they have suffered these symptoms. The contact lenses are also slightly sticky when I take them out.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
1731421_tn?1358826971
Timothy D McGarity, M.D.Blank
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D. P.C.
Columbia, MO
711220_tn?1251894727