Eye Care Expert Forum
Restasis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Restasis
I just got back from my optomologist & he prescribed for me Restasis.  He mentioned that once you're on Restasis, it's an on going thing it's not really temporary.   Is that the case, do I have to stay on it.  I was hoping that once my eye is feeling better, I could just use artificial tears to keep my eyes from drying so badly.  He also changed my contact lenses to Acuvue Oasys.  Any advice or info would be great.............................
Dear Ironman850,

Dry eyes are a chronic condition.  Restasis improves tear production and has been shown to improve progression of dry eyes.  If your symptoms are improved off of Restasis, it is alright to stop.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

A related discussion, macular degeneration was started.