Eye Care Community
Retina swelling treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Retina swelling treatment

Hi everyone.  I had my cataract removed about 2 years ago. Today I was in the Hospital for a routine follow up and Dr. told me that there is a swelling on the retina.  He showed me the picture of Retina with some swelling .
There may be a leakage or just infection.  I am just asking from the forum and our qualified members if its normal with some patients and treatment provided can help.   I feel that for a small area swollen a steroid injection might help.
Any comments or advice will be appreciated   I do have an appointment to see Dr. in the end of this month.
I assume the diagnosis is cystoid macular edema.  It is rare to occur this late.  I would recommend a flourescein angiogram to determine the cause of the cystoid macular edema before treatment.  A steroid injection is not without risk.  We usually treat CME with drops before going to injections if it is related to the cataract surgery.

Dr. O.