For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
=
Update:

Had some further tests done yesterday. Everything checked out apart from on fundus exam, a cotton wool spot was noticed at the top of picture. Was told this was isolated and i'm being referred to an retina specialist. I'm also going to be having a glucose tolerance test for diabetes (although I have no other symptoms and apart from cotton wool spot, the rest of my exam was unremarkable with excellent eye health, which puzzled the doctor) and hypertension. Although I can see a grey "after image" arc on my bottom right peripheral that started out as a bright spot after blinking. I'm only 30, and fairly fit, feeling down, so this is now worrying me sick.
Hi stupid eye, was the cotton wool spot in the same spot as the new afterimage arc? Or nothing to do with this?
hypertension can cause a cotton wool spot.  And CWS go away after time.
=
Hi All,
Thanks for your reply Dr. I think it was just a bit of shock looking at some of the causes for CWS. But feeling a bit more positive now. But been told the majority of causes for CWS can be treated, managed or in some cases even cured. I will just go with that. The specialist was unsure whether the location of the CWS was the cause for my "after image" but said CWS can be in a different place but effect different parts of the retina. As you will see from previous posts, the after image spots "bright spot when blinking" is something i have been having for the last 8 years. I was also told I highly likely had other CWS but were gone before exam and therefor not seen as something recurring. We will see what happens, at least something has been seen and the cause treatable. Just not what I wanted for Christmas.
I dont think this has anything to do with the bright spot when blinking as you've had it for 8 years and its never been noticed. No one else has been diagnosed with having a cws who has bright spot when blinking either. I think you have bright spot with blinking condition & a separate cws which is not related
Maybe, or they could be related. My family, (both sides) have no history of any terrible diseases either. Saying this my blind spot is slightly worse today, some days, its better than others. It just odd. I can block out the mouse pointer now when at arms length. I was also asked by the doctor if I had a IBS or bloated stomach. Something about possible crohns disease link.  
Stupideye do you get every day 24/7 bright white ish blobs in your field of vision? Some sort of flare up, fade to a black afterimage then dissappear?! I get these 24/7 . As for the permanent blind spots i rarely get them, and when i do i cant notice them unless i cover the affected eye for a while then quickly uncover it whilst looking at a plain background!
Morning stupideye, good that there is some progress in the diagnosis and possibly some treatment options. Shame about the timing!!!
Keep your chin up.
Matt
Welshey, Mine can flare up and then fade, but always there as I blink. My latest one is just above the arc one in my right eye that has slowly got worse. I still cant get over the fact that these always appear after going through stressful periods/events. My smaller perm ones iv had for years I can only see if I concentrate and blink against a bright surface. But these new ones in my right eye are scary.Just hope the cause can be treated and I dont have something terrible. Which of course is just making my anxiety go through the roof.  
I think we have the same but different type of thing going on. Basically, every day (like melc who posted a few weeks ago) i get bright white spots , all over my vision in different areas, they are similar to looking after a camera flash afterimage. They start off as bright spots, then turn dark, like the afterimage then they dissapear. The permanent ones i havent had in ages, these are the same as yours they flash when i blink. Last one i had was in march, it was like a small arc shape below my right eye fixation point. My theory maybe is we have complication from migraine aura, like the blood vessels get messed up, causing decreased blood flow. This causes ischemia of that tiny area of the retina, causing a blind spot. In your case this might have shown up as a white cotton whool spot which indicates ischemia. Just a theory anyway.
My docs all say complicated migraine like most people on here.
Strangely though, the everyday bright purple/ white ish blobs alot of people on here dont seem to get apart from MelC? They are made worse by bending down and then quickly standing up. Thanks.
I also have very bad increased entopic phenomena ( those worms that are the blood travelling through the retinal veins or whatever) i notice them all over the place, i have increased afterimages, and i can see my blood vessels in my vision if i squint. The entopic phenomena seems to get 'stuck' sometimes when i look at a bright surface, almost as if the worms kind of slow down, stay for a few seconds, then fly off.
=
Update on my end. Woke up this morning with a sore throat and a hungover feeling. Seem to be getting sick. Around 2pm a spot appeared in my left eye just above centre which behave like my other permanent spots (opposite colour of whatever I'm looking at i.e. blue on orange/ yellow, however, is actually a blind spot in that I can't see through it). Getting me down a bit as my left eye has bee the less affected to date. Wonder if the link with sickness gives any clues, been diagnosed with migraine related. Are migraines linked to being ill for anyone?
Matt
Hi Matt,

Yeah, I got my own Christmas lights going on in my right eye. lol. My suspects for me are:

Hypertension (with slim possibility of CRVO)
Type 2 Diabetes (but unlikely, no other symptoms)
Something Autoimmune (again, absolutely no other symptoms)
Some complex migraine related to my eyes (I use to suffer from Migraines)
I doubt caterid obstruction (Rare, and only effects people, the majority are over 60 with poor life choices, smoking etc..)

I got a glucose tolerance test tomorrow morning followed by blood pressure. If these come back clean, then who knows what the cause is. Chin up Matt, at least you haven't been diagnosed with nothing terrible and been checked out.

Although, when I get a virus, I also formulate another relative scotoma. Sometimes, after a day of coming down with something. And sometimes my other ones flare up a little.

I hear what you are saying Welshy. The specialist was also trying to put my mind at rest saying that these conditions allot of the time come out with no medical diagnosis, even with Cotton Wool Spots to mean nothing terrible is happening. I know someone who is a specialist neuro doctor and been told he sees allot of patients describing the same symptoms as me and says there have been links related to stress induced hypertension and ocular ischemia.

I need a hot sandy beach for a week after this is over.    

My update:

I've seen a consultant ophthalmologist twice and my eyes, barring a very small prescription in my right eye, are absolutely fine.  I had an OCT scan and visual field test.  So my eyes are physically healthy at least.  

He said he had come across it before a few times a year but that he had never followed it up.  He did say that he has never seen anyone with this develop any serious eye complaints.  He has referred me onto a neurologist.  I'll probably have MRIs etc. but mostly I want to speak to someone interested in solving it.    

I'm convinced this is migraine related due to triggers like light sensitivity, fluorescent lighting and computer use.  The doctor pretty much agreed with me.  Its not easy in this day and age to avoid these things.  

Matt, I get migraines and a "sick/hungover" feeling is definitely associated with them.  Recently I have been getting what I think of as silent ones, no headache but feel very tired and sick.  I found that even a full night's sleep will still not be enough a few times to feel ok.  Have the calcium channel blockers helped?

I have to say as well, another common theme here I see is stress.  Stress makes everything worse.  It's a vicious circle because it's hard not to worry about your vision.  I'm trying to make a determined effort to accept these flashes for now and relax a bit more.  Yoga, mindfulness exercises, things like that.  I'd recommend it.

Evening Latice eyes, I can't say for sure if the calcium channel blockers have helped. I am still getting the 'quick' spots that last seconds to minutes, however, I haven't had another migraine and the monocular blobs that last 5 - 30 min haven't occurred while I've been on them. So I guess they may have helped.
No real side effects which is good. Maybe more frequent instances of momentary light headedness on standing, but I sometimes get that anyway.
Matt
=
Thanks Matt.  I think I get the same "quick spots" which are fairly small and last 2-5 minutes at a time and are a temporary blind spot.  These are what I call ocular migraines.    

I was getting these every five minutes pretty much around the time that the "blinking" spot appeared.  This is the main reason why I think its migraine related.  

This blinking spot is what is like the afterimage of a camera flash when I look at a dark background and always in the same place in my vision.  It goes after a second or so.  Its almost like a portion of my vision is like a photo negative for half a second.

I had similar lightheadedness on beta blockers.  I found beta blockers really helped with ocular migraines but didn't stop the spot which appears on blinking and disappears after a few seconds.  The main reason I tried them was to stop this weirder symptom.  I went off them because I couldn't sleep well on them and felt tired all the time.  
Hi Matt/Welshy/Lattice eyes,

Do you have 24/7 "after image" spots. Mine are there after every time I blink, or look between contrasting surfaces. I believe I have an absolute scotoma now in my right eye. 4 clock mid peripheral vision, although its not a dark hole. It blends in with the back ground pretty well, unless I blink or move my vision across sharp/contrasting edges. The arc which is in the five o'clock position is now less prominent, I hope these resolve like the others iv had. I am contemplating going to A & E with this new flare up. I just want to know whats going on.      

I hope I can get some treatment on mine, (steroids, underlying causes), because its very annoying (trying not to swear!). I'm an IT professional, looking at monitors and screens comes with the job.
Morning Stupideye, mine run the gamut from permanent blind spots to temporary spots lasting seconds. In my teens I started getting migraines. Shortly after I started getting yellow or purple blobs that would appear in one eye. These would grow then gradually shrink over the course of 5 min to an hour. At 25 I got one of these just below my central vision in my right eye that lasted a day, this left a permanent triangular blind spot there. After this I started seeing a lot more spots that would only last a few seconds. Subsequently I have had phases where I get permanent spots and ones which last a long time. I have a couple which are not full blind spots but behave like the after image of a camera flash. Fortuantly these are fading a bit now.
Matt
Hi Stupideye

Yes it sounds like pretty much the same thing.  When it first started I would only notice it after going from a bright room to dark and blinking.  For the last 2-3 weeks the after images are pretty consistent in the same spot.  

Now its an after image in my right eye.  It got worse a couple of weeks ago, when I was particularly stressed.  Although the source of my stress was partially caused by my vision.  initially it was two spots which have now congealed into a larger one.  pretty much centre of vision to the right.   Sometimes I noticed that the border of my computer screen and black of the monitor distorts too.  That seems to have calmed down a bit fortunately.  

The after image effect was bad at first but calmed down with deliberately avoiding computers/reading in the evening and early nights (aiming for 9 hours sleep, hard to get).  I thought I was doing well and it was improving but it got worse after I went on holiday and was reading my Kindle all day in the sun.  I should've got Audiobooks!  

I also have a larger one in my left eye on the edge of my vision which I see if I move my eyes fast from side to side when looking at a white wall or move my finger over my eyes.  There's several other spots appeared in the last couple of months but they don't seem to cause the after image effect.  For these ones if it wasn't for the methods I have to make them appear I probably wouldn't have noticed them.  

I probably need a monitor that is like a Kindle screen, but I'm not sure that exists!
Latticeyes, do you get the bright peristant spots that arent 'strong enough' to become permanent? Theyre always around 24/7, worse on standing up, and they appear bright at first, they then fade to dark afterimage, and dissappear? I have these like melc said up there^ 24/7 and are worse against white backgrounds. They are like the afterimage of lookig at a camera flash but white, they start then fade over the course of 1 minute, both eyes. These i find are so annoying, and i rarely get the permanent spots anymore that flash when blinking.
The more I read peoples comments and their symptoms, the more I don't think I have the same condition. My flashing arcs, blobs are 24/7 depending on what lighting I am in. Does anyone experience this all the time? I don't understand. How can your spots only last a few seconds? Mine are every single time I blink! Can anyone help me out?
=
welshy - that sounds like ocular migraines to me (exactly as you describe, but eventually fade, and generally not in the same place all the time).  I was getting these all day at one point.  I found beta blockers significantly reduced these for me (but obviously, discuss with your doctor) but generally made me feel pretty bad so I stopped taking them.  

I found that some glasses called theraspecs helped me a bit with these, (the spots on blinking are still there though) but you have to get them from the US (it could be placebo but I'll take it).  so has reducing the number of fluorescent lights.  Boots in the UK also do a blue reflective lens which is quite good - I'd get them even if I didn't have a prescription - especially for computer use.  I'm convinced constant computer use and fluorescent lights are a trigger for me (I used to get migraines after playing the Playstation as a kid) so I try everything I can to alleviate it.  

Lulu - mine are there (lying dormant almost) all the time but are more visible in certain conditions.  It sounds like the same thing.  They are in the same place consistently.  Some days are worse than others.  

These are the ones that concern me and are the spots that appear when I blink (especially after waking up and looking at my phone for example).  They also look like the after image of a camera flash in certain circumstances.  They are black/green on a white background and white/red on a dark background for me.  They are always in the same place.  I'm trying to learn to ignore them in the hope they go away and while I wait for more appointments with consultants.

Lattice eyes, mine are bright white blobs which are there 24/7 as ive explained. They are similar to the permanent afterimage dark spots however they dont stick forever, just for 1-2 mins. They are bright against white backgrounds, and sometimes appear purple / dark in colour. I rarely get permanent ones that flash silvery metallic when i blink that are there forever. So i guess thats positive . What type of beta blocker were you on? Thanks.
Can i also establish they are not ocular migraines, as i have these aswell. They are very different. These spots i see every second of the day are purple/ white blobs which flare up, then fade away within the space of a minute, exactly like looking at a light. Worse upon standing up quick or going from light to dark
If this is vascular like some think, I have read that taking Cayenne pepper capsules helps the blood vessels in the eyes. I have started taking a couple a day, so I am not too far into it.

Unless it is a partial PVD I think it could be related to a damaged capillary, but I am not sure. I don't get any straight answers from doctors either, most say Vitreal traction with NO offer of relief, treatment, support...
ahh ok Welshy, sorry for the misunderstanding.  We all have our own definitions for things I think which is why we confuse each other a little.  So those ones fade, do they move around your vision?  

To me your definition of this sounds like what I call ocular migraines.  I was also getting these things pretty constantly.  It sounds like a migraine variant of some sort.  Its very hard to find a proper definition when it comes to migraine because everyone is different.  what you call ocular migraines might be something I've never had.  

I was on propanolol and was also combining with 10 mg amitriptyline which I was already on.  I ended up getting a very strange feeling in my mouth with this combination so I stopped them both.  this could be a coincidence but the flashes which go away after a minute or so increased when I started on the amytriptyline.  

I also think its vascular, which is a reason why I think stress is another factor.  
I had diabetes test yest and will be getting the results after Christmas (HBA1C) but i'm not confident that the results will come back positive due to having no symptoms and talking to the nurse.

My blood pressure was high yest (168/80) during the first reading, but was told that could be white coat syndrome, I have since had it checked twice after and both times it was normal (117/74) / (115/75). It will be checked again tonight for a 3rd reading.

The general nurse gave me a good MOT, height weight and BMI index calculation, looked into my eyes, I asked about being anemic, to which I got the reply, "I very much doubt it", with the skin under my eye looking nice and pink and no symptoms of fatigue. I guess the full blood count might confirm that.

So, it might possibly be autoimmune, but really hard to define what it might be, as its something that is recurring over the years with no obvious symptoms. I just hope this gets sorted soon with my new job starting in Jan.

I agree with laticeeyes do believe that this is vascular in nature. Yest afternoon I had a very stressful period in work and suddenly I noticed more of these "bright spots", two new ones showed up. But after getting home, having a beer and chilling out, completely went, even my other ones from a few weeks ago were allot less noticeable, and this is something I am not imagining, they genuinely are less. Who knows, i guess i just got to wait and find out.    
Afternoon Stupideye, are you able to bring yours on by doing things that would effect your blood pressure? I.e. Vigerous exercise or having too much caffine? I notice that if I exercise outside in the sun after eating il have a bucket load of temporary spots. Likewise if I have a couple of coffees.
Matt
Yes I do get that as well
=
Stupideye, how long has this been going on with your eye? MIne started after a very bad black eye 8 years ago.  I had flashing arcs that turned into a grey blob/blind spot for a couple weeks, and then it went back to flashing. Now it flashes by itself even without blinking when going from light to dark. I don't know how to deal with it anymore. I am an artist and can't concentrate on anything. I am praying that I go blind in my bad eye at this point so I don't see the lights anymore.
That kind of sounds like what I have. Besides the flashing arcs 24/7 for 8 continious years, I now get them going from light to dark. Have doctors told you anything about his condition? What is the treatment?!? I have basically lost my job over this.
Anyone thought of a class action lawsuit against the non-treatment of this condition/disability? I know some people from other boards that would be interested in filing. Don't know exactly who to file against, but I assume start with your local offices that deny/"don't see anything wrong".
Hi Lula,

I haven't had my flashing arc for 8 years, this is a new one that developed from a flashing spot when blinking in the mid to far peripheral vision in the 4 clock position from fixation. I also have another spot appearing above that one, that doesn't have any arcing. God knows whats going on with my eyes, but scary thinking its something systemically terrible.

I have had other bright spots when blinking in both my eyes, some of these resolve to tiny distortions or blind spots, but very small. These iv been getting every 6 - 12 months. Although my latest ones in my right eye are the worst yet. Im just trying to ignore than and be positive while im being poked and prodded, while Im probably going to be diagnosed with a systemic disease. But other than that im fit and healthy, which is why i struggle to make the dots of whatever condition is causing the problems. I also have a pictured of my fundus on my phone displaying the cotton wool spot, wish I could post images on this forum to show.

Lula, didnt you have a diagnosis from your other posts that I have read? Have they not offered any treatment?    
Hi Stupideye, thanks for responding. I have been to 5 Retinal Specialists over the years and none see anything wrong with my Retina. They all say vitreous traction. My eye that sees the flashing arcs, the one that got injured, is also very myopic.

That being said, it was probably prone to injury more. I have been offered no treatment as the doctors don't see anything. I finally went to my mom's local Ophtamologist and she saw slight retinal scarring and a cloudy spot on my retinal. I don't know if it is a Cotton Wool spot or not because she didn't say. She doesn't know what is causing the flashing either. She thinks I don't need to see a neuro either. If it is traction on my retina, or a partial PVD they treat this in other countries. Some days are better than others.
Hi everyone,

I developed this symptom (a bright spot when blinking in my right eye, lower right side of vision) AFTER a routine check-up to my ophthalmologist (previous was 2 and half years ago). I had no problem at all, only small normal floaters since years that I don't notice anymore. The visit said everything (pression and retina) is fine but some hours after here's this thing, never experienced before. I phoned the doctor but he says it's nothing, so I'm glad I found this forum: it's there everytime I blink watching a clear background.

So, at the moment I've had this since 18th december (day of the visit) so five days. Nothing changed in dimension or other aspects of this phenomenon and I've nothing strange in my vision except for this. I've scheduled another visit for 7th january at an eye center, I hope they will say me something about it - although I read all this thread and a lot of you people have no answers yet.

I wonder if there is any relation with the mydriatic eye drop used for examining the retina, but in the previous visit I've had no conditions after it. Definitely I didn't have this before the visit. Well, I'll keep following this thread and posting any update, maybe it will be useful to others. Since in five days it didn't get worse and it's more annoying than worrying, I try no to be anxious about it, but of course I'm a bit worried.      
Hi oldboy, i started to notice my natural blind spot around May/ June. I had my eyes dilated for the first time ever (im 18) and they said it was fine. A few weeks after this, i developed a spot, like a camera flash, which didnt go away. I too wonder if this is due to the mydriatic eye drops?!
hi welshey, well my natural blind spot in the right eye (I checked it) is in a visual area upper-right this "blinking spot" and there is no connection between them, they are far away from each other.

For 7th january I'll go to a place where for retina examination they use a device called optomap that doesn't require dilatation with mydriatic eye drops, so I'm less worried. Maybe the mydriatic eye drop isn't the cause, but I don't want to try it again if unnecessary.  
Something tells me there is no connection, as i recall having these spots before i ever had my eyes dilated. Let me know how the optomap goes!
Hi again, I've just discovered that blinking, I mean the mechanical movement of the eyelid, has no connection with this phenomenon. I proved it.

How? Simple: I stare at a bright wall without blinking and without blinking I cover my eye with the palm of my hand, and quick I move my hand: same effect of blinking but without blinking!

So, it's only the changing in light conditions that causes it (in fact, in the dark I never experience it), definitely not an effect caused by eyelid movement. It's not much for understanding what it is, but at least I excluded something.  
Lula, not sure what a lawsuit would achieve. I honestly think the docs I've seen have done everything they can. Their tests are all normal which I imagine makes it had for an objective diagnosis.
Hey Lula, I'd just like to let you know that you're not alone. I have the same thing as you, getting flashes 24/7 and was caused by a trauma to the eye. Feel free to contact me on kik @ dane2000
Hi, I've found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svG6hcbNMY and I wonder if this "bright spot" is just a stupid floater, the first type this guy is talking about: "eye shadow eye spot". I didn't know this kind of fixed "spot" floater (I thought floaters were only the more common moving specks), but it makes sense to me. Maybe over time gravity takes this spot down (or not) so it's an explanation why it can or cannot disappear over time (as some wrote). And above all it's an explanation why exams and doctors can't detect it, if it's so small and close to the back of the eye! Well, maybe not for everyone it's this thing, but since it's just an annoying harmless floaters, I hope this is the explanation for many of us.    
My doctor knows the treatment for this and I need to call him for the medication as I need it again after a few years. Will post it once I have the tablets as they work 100%
Oh my gosh! Are you sure? What are your symptoms?!
Please reply! You dont know how happy everyone would be as im sure you're aware of how scary this is! Please reply!
Any Update?
Well woke up this morning with another in my left eye. Just to the left of centre at 9 o clock about 1cm from fixation. Seems to be a permanent one.
Don't know what to do. Feeling distraught :(
Thanks danefher, I might take you up on a convo about this. Is that a way to contact you on this site?
Hi danfher, Did you get my message?
Update from me. New spot is still there and behaving like my previous permanent ones (blind spot and opposite colour of what looking at). By far the worst as it is so central and my left eye was my stronger eye with less spots than the right.  
All docs closed except the emergency room and don't really want to waste their time as they will most likely tel me to wait for my specialist to open in the new year.
Amazing how these little spots send me into a tail spin emotionally. I don't want to get out of bed or even open my eyes.
Matt
Matt stay strong! I get the permanent ones tok, they stay for maybe a week, then fade away and i dont notice them, if you train your brain to look for them even though they are obvious this makes it worse!
Thank Welshey, I appreciate the support.
So hard to ignore these damn things!!!
Are you for real? What is the treatment? Post please.
You dont sound like you have the same condition as the rest of us!
Welshey, who are you replying to?
Lula! Im replying to you! Your symtpoms are like flashes , which ours are not, they are blobs which looks like the aftereffect of looking at a camera flash go off, which leaves blind spots. Yours sounds like a result of the blow to the eye u said u had? And its different
I have flashes and blobs and arcs, I have it all. And they do look like camera flashes after eye movement, or blinking. And I did have a blind spot/grey area for a couple weeks where the flashing is, But the grey area/blind spot went back to flashing.

If you say it sounds like mine are the result of a blow to my eye, what exactly is causing it? I'll pay you if you can answer that. The docs can't. Don't know why you feel the need to yell though, lol!
No one on here has flashing though, they have persistant bright blobs which do not flash by themselves, but blind spots which turn a different colour when they blink. No one here really has what you describe as 'flashes' which is rapid flashes of light!
And sorry if i sound like im yelling im not
Oldboy81, I have heard this theory too. I had a severe black eye resulting in flashing, blobs, arcs. Don't know if a capillary burst causing traction on the retina, or if it could be an attached floater.
I will see at my exam, but basically I think that if you have a retinal problem should not be so difficult to be detected by an expert ophthalmologist with various exams, otherwise an attached floater, if very close to the retina, could appear a relatively big spot in your vision, but maybe it's almost impossible to be watched from outside even in a deep exam.  
I know that people with high myopia are prone to these flashes/blobs etc...How many of you have high myopia?
=
Maybe I am not describing what I am seeing correctly. But I do see camera type flashes, which I would say are silver, white spots. Mine also have started to flash, arc without blinking. Like if I drive under a dark bridge during the daytime, I get the flashing arcs up and down a few times without blinking. Docs say vitreous traction, but I don't believe it, because other countries treat parital pvd or vitreous, macular traction.

I am  just looking for answers because the flashing is so very hard to live with and work with. Even if I suffer from something else than the people here, I still appreciate the support, because I am getting ZERO support from doctors, and there are no support groups whatsoever. Very scary. I only hope that people on this board get relief someday.
I do not think you have the same condition
=
I get bright spots (blind spots) when blinking (light/dark background)  for about the past 1.5 years.  It's in my right eye, and shaped like a tiny arrow head.   I got the first episode a few weeks after an ocular migraine which I get every few years for the past 20 years.  Mine are brought about by stress, caffeine, exercise and brink lights.  I also work on a computer all day so that can be a trigger.  They usually go away in a few hours but I've had my current one for the past few days off and on and it varies in intensity.  Sometimes I can only see it if I blink while keeping my good eye closed.  I'm also very sensitive to light/dark changes and photobleaching (flash bulb effect) pretty easily!

I've seen an Opthamologist (Retina Specialist) and a Neuro Opthamologist, had every eye test under the sun and a MRI of my brain, all normal.   They think it's likely migraine related.  The medical assistant at the Opthamologist office said she gets the same thing and also used to get ocular migraines.  She also said many patients come in with similar complaints.

I agree that it's likely migraine related or something vascular.  The vascular part makes me wonder if anyone else who gets this has a blood clotting disorder?  I have Factor V Lieden so I'm at increased risk of clots.  I also have anxiety/panic disorder and huge swings in my blood pressure.
thanks!
Hi jenn! Do you get temporary bright white spots also?
I see what looks like specs of glitter or a single speck but not really any bright white lights. Just the bright spot which darkens and usually goes away.  My current one is gone for now...
Mines still being a flashy shiny mess. So close to my central vision in my left good eye has really got me down. Spent a couple of days in be be I just couldn't  face the world. Hoping it isn't a retinal tear or something else. Really getting annoying seeing this flashing mess everywhere, seems to be acting slightly different to my previous ones which were easier to ignore.
Frustrating that no docs are open.
Hi maty, hope it dies down soon for you. Josuuv has a cure for this in the form of tablets, he is letting me know on monday what they are called.
Matt, what do your flashes look like? Are they all the time, or only in periods? Mine are 24/7 depending what lighting I am in.
Mine are just on moving my eye. Localised to the area of the blind spot.
Well my HBA1C test came back negative so I don't have diabetes and also my blood pressure check came back fine after five random blood pressure tests. Although it was noted it does spike high when anxious or stressed. Still haven't got my referral through yet, expecting through the post any day. My after glare arc in my bottom right eye is now better than it was. Also the spot above it, can still block out the mouse at a good arms length on a high res screen, but is def smaller. So something is trying to repair itself in my eye. I go through feelings of highs and lows, trying not to think I got something terrible. But, no other symptoms, so happy with that. No new ones since. I find also some days its slightly worse and other days slightly better. Im semi convinced its vascular. I just want to see the specialist again to confirm what this "white lesion"/"cotton wool spot" is/was and if its going.  
i have heard Eyebright and or Cayenne pepper capsules is good for eye circulation, wonder if that would help. If it's something like a small burst capillary, it might help heal an maybe reopen the capillary, or if the capillary is stuck on the retina.
It's been a while since I've posted, and have a few new permanent spots (one decent sized one and a few tiny ones in both eyes) - many temporary flare-ups weekly along the way.

I wanted to post something that I saw someone post a few years ago in this thread, which oddly enough seems to actually help dissipate the temporary spots much quicker: bending over and having blood rush to your head. I didn't think it worked at first but a year later (a month ago) I tried it again and it seemed to help get rid of a pretty serious spot quickly - I've done so for almost every serious spot since and it seems to work (unless it's a big coincidence that they settle down during and right after I do this). All I am doing is bending over as if I am tying my shoe for 30 seconds to a minute (or laying off the end of a bed so my head is lower than my body).

Just throwing this out there and want to see if it helps anyone else (and am interested if it does!), might help show evidence that this is a vascular issue too.

To throw out my old idea again - if there is a way to get a kickstarter-like funding round where we can put up what money we can to get a team of ophthalmologists/neural-ophthalmologists researching (or testing us in-depth), I am all in for it.

sarah4983 had proper tests done and was classified as PAMM - maybe we would get in touch with this hospital group to get more of us diagnosed (I will fly to Miami in a heartbeat for this).

CB
Wow, and ack! I'm stunned to see so many with this problem. I'm just embarking on getting diagnosed... doesn't look promising. The strange thing with me is I'm over 60 and never had silent migrains until 5 years ago. I had aura in both  eyes then nothing for about 3 years and one more. But, 3 months ago I had aura in only one eye. That is when I noticed this "photo bleaching spot" that persisted in my right eye (the one that had the aura). Yes, I see it mostly when I blink, it goes from bright light to black, depending on the background. Shows up best when looking at a bright, white background. And... it is arrow shaped, as someone else mentioned, like an arrowhead. I am scheduled for MRI and have an appointment with the opthamologist. I'm leaning towards it being related to the migraine and something in the brain but... so many unaswered questions.

Just for clarity, because I'm reading symptoms from posters here that are not like the original poster's, my spot is constantly there, does not flash or move. It is fixed and doesn't change. I just don't see it unless I blink and occasionally when looking at the computer screen.
Welcome Birdy,
It sounds like you are in the same boat as the rest of us. Keep us posted on your test results.

Update on my recent spot. It I not as bright as it was on presentation a week ago. However, it is doing something the others haven't which is sparkling on transition from looking at something dark to something light.
Part of it is definitely a blind spot with a cone of distortion pointing to my central vision. As it is very close to my central vision it is very annoying and hard to ignore.
Seeing my ophthalmologist this Friday. Assume it'll be a ok as usual.
Hi all! Following emailing Joe, who posted last week saying he had some tablets for the condition. He uses sumatriptan over a 3 day period as a course which stops the spots. He also said he had tried sanomigran, but can have sleepy side effects. The sumatriptan he said was very quick working, but after some research i dont think you can take this every day. Only when the 'migraine' comes on ( its used for migraines) but it apparently helps the spots.
I also am dealing with the same issue , no headache or pain just an annoying light when I blink my right eye ! It is not in front of my vision though !
Just got back from my regular ophthalmologist. Everything normal as expected. Spot still persists and is still bright and sparkly especially when looking at a bright background. Hope this subsides soon. How long does it take others to get out of this phase? Has been just over a week so far.

The ophthalmologist is sending me to repeat my electro physiological exam (the one where you look at the flashing hexagons with a massive contact lens that doesn't let you blink.) as he wants to compare against the base line from 3 years ago.
I've been having this problem for almost 2 years now. I get afterimage spots that can last anywhere between seconds to months. The spots always seem to eventually disappear, but they can get worse and better many times before that happens. I've seen an ophthalmologist, gotten an MRI, and I still haven't gotten a solid answer about it all. I have had a history with ocular migraines causing a scintillating scotoma (though I haven't gotten them since developing this new condition).

Here's some thing's I've noticed:
- The appearance spots seem to be highly stress-related. Sometimes I go for periods of months without spots, but during highly stressful times I get more and am more likely to get spots that persist for a long period of time.
- I appear to have a certain amount of control over them. If a new spot appears, focusing on it will only make it persist a long time. But if I quickly distract myself, they'll tend to disappear within a few minutes and not return.
- Spots start off worse in the morning, and progressively get better throughout the day. At night, sometimes the spots disappear completely, only to return the next morning.
- All of my long-term spots have begun in the morning, either shortly after waking up or before. Sometimes I even see them in my dreams, which causes me to wake up. Interestingly, this time of day is also when your cortisol levels are highest, furthering my suspicion that they are stress-related.
- Massaging the neck and shoulders helps manage the size and strength of persistent spots, and prevents new short-lived ones from appearing.
- "Playing" with the spots often seems to make them worse. It can be tempting to look at various pictures and objects to test their size (in the hopes it's shrinking), but this frequently results in exacerbating them. This has lead me to believe that there is some sort of "kindling" effect going on here (a term I've stolen from neurology lingo). Basically, the more you trigger the spot, the worse it will get.

I'm hoping that one day I'll grow out of them, just like I seem to have done with the ocular migraines (or they evolved into this or something). I can deal with the odd flash here and there, but it's these persistent spots that really annoy me.
SpottyGuy - that sounds a lot more like a neurological thing (stress-migrane related? Not a doctor so I know nothing), do any of them become a permanent blind spot you can see constantly, whether you're stressed or not, throughout the year?
One of my first spots lasted about a year before it faded completely. I couldn't see it when looking at a blank wall or when closing my eyes, but it would appear any time that area of my vision crossed something with well-defined lines (like window blinds or the edge of a computer screen).Lately though, the bad spots have seemed to only last a week or two at most, and they're rare (I went almost a year with no bad ones appearing).

I'm still not sure if it's a problem with the eye itself or the visual pathway. Each spot only affects vision in one eye (though both eyes have been affected by different spots), which would suggest that the issue is pre-chiasmatic, unlike my previous migraines which affected both eyes the same. But the fact that my psychological state seems to have a profound influence on the spots makes me wonder if it's neurological. So I really haven't been able to decide one way or the other.
Hi all,

For the last three years, I've had similar symptoms of temporary spots that occasionally become permanent. I've also had the usual battery of tests, with not much to show for it. I am not a doctor, but I have studied vision for a living for over 25 years.

One thing that may be of use to at least some of us is what is called Flammer Syndrome. the original paper can be found here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1350946200000288

but there are decent descriptions of it in other places (Wikipedia) that don't require you to pay anything. Basically flammer syndrome is a vasopastic disorder. The spasms can happen to small blood vessels anywhere in the body, but they're going to be most noticeable in the eye and the ear, which is why people with flammer syndrome complain of visual disturbances and hearing issues (fluctuating tinnitus and hearing loss). Like migraines, most people have triggers, but it is definitely not a migraine disorder. It causes short-term ischemia, which leads to flashing spots and can occasionally last long enough to kill the nerves and cause a scotoma. Like I said, they probably happen everywhere, but we care more about what happens to a tiny piece of retina than we care about an equally tiny piece of tissue anywhere else in out body, including our brains. Retinas are also major oxygen hogs, so they're more vulnerable to lack of oxygen. Long term improvement of a permanent scotoma can be due to the brain filling the defect in, or to the fact that the nerve may not be dead but damaged and will then slowly heal over weeks to months,

There are a number of other symptoms. Some are common, but a few are distinctive. For example, people with flammer syndrome have normal appetites but are almost never thirsty. In my case, I drink maybe once a day and only because I know I have to.

The syndrome is treated by avoiding triggers (if known) and by doing anything that stabilizes endothelial cell function. Typically magnesium and calcium channel blockers are tried.

I hope this is useful for at least some of you, I know how frustrating this can be.
Have you had any of the testing for diagnosis of Flammer Syndrome? Have your doctors seen any evidence on exam or thought this could be a possibility for you?

Also, you said that it could cause flashing spots.  Do you know if it could cause a white spot/light in the vision that lights up and then fades away over the course of a few seconds?  Some of us have these very temporary spots occurring all the time as well as the ones that flash upon blinking and sometimes become permanent.
I have read about Flammer Syndrome and was wondering if there could be a link to these symptoms so many of us experience. Do you know if there is a definitive test for it?

Dr. Hagan, do you have anything to contribute to the idea and diagnosis of Flammer Syndrome?

Plankton, thank you very much for this revelation. I have read through the article and found it to be incredibly enlightening. A number of things I read caught my attention in particular since they seemed consistent with my experience.

Like you, I'm rarely thirsty. I mostly only drink during meals, or because I like the taste of a particular beverage. But rarely do I ever find myself drinking out of thirst, even after exercise. As mentioned in the article, my hands and feet also tend to get quite cold, to the point where holding a milk jug from the fridge for more than a few seconds can cause pain. I could have never imagined that these things might be related to a larger problem.

Interestingly, I actually have been taking chelated magnesium supplements daily in order to help manage stress. While taking the magnesium, the number of spots that occur are greatly reduced (though not eliminated entirely), and long-term scotomas are rare. But recently I got lazy with my dosage and that's when I got a new scotoma. Since returning to my normal schedule, it has shrunk drastically and almost entirely disappeared.

I am going to immediately schedule an appointment with my ophthalmologist and discuss this possibility with him. The thought that there might be treatments to further manage this diabolical condition has me ecstatic.
This is another very descriptive article on the effects on the eye  http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/02/10/eurheartj.eht023
You're welcome! I hope it helps at least a few people. I just read all 900 posts on this thread and did see that at least some people mention things that could be associated with a vasospastic problem (cold hands/feet, migraines, dysautonomias, low BP, tinnitus, etc). Calcium channel blockers shouldn't be taken lightly of course, but many people do take them, usually for hypertension. Magnesium is fairly harmless, especially if you take one of the forms that doesn't lead to diarrhea.

I doubt many eye doctors think of vasospastic disorders, but if you search google scholar for terms like ocular vasospasm you'll find some studies.  Some cases are secondary to other diseases, but in many cases the cause is unknown. Anything that harms blood vessels (inflammation, hypertension, stress, syphilis, autoimmune issues) can make them more likely to spasm, and I'm I'm sure there's much we don't know about it. It's not easy to study, since spasms by nature are short term (and can only be seen in the retina).

One test that has been used to diagnose Flammers is to look for elevated levels of endothelin-1, a potent endogenous vasoconstrictor. You can also look at the capillaries in the nail beds under a magnifying glass when exposed to cold to look for a heightened response. Like all things in medicine though, it's not always that simple, and I'm sure there are false positives and negatives.

Flammers is generally considered benign, except that it may have some association with normal tension glaucoma (Again, take with a grain of salt). A spasm of a tiny arteriole is generally harmless, unless it happens to be in the retina or the cochlea (or a few special areas of the brain), and even then it's usually not a permanent problem. It's just that we can see the tiniest damage to our retina, and of course care about it a lot.

If you already have low blood pressure, it's important to know that blood pressure can drop considerably when you sleep, which can cause trouble in some people.

Anyway, just some thoughts. As I said, I'm no doctor, but I'm not a bad visual physiologist.

Thank you so much for all of this information.  Do you know what type of doctor we would see for the appropriate testing?  Looks like there is a test called DVA (dynamic vessel analyzer) that can help with diagnosis as well.  
Ps. A detailed free article can be found here.

http://www.epmajournal.com/content/5/1/11
As you all know, diagnoses are tricky. It would take the greatest luck to actually see a retinal vasospasm (though I have seen a paper that photographed one in a retinal artery). And aside from the constellation of signs and symptoms (which only ever fit a subset of people anyway), you're left with checking nailbed responses to cold and possibly slightly elevated levels of endothelin-1. Finally, since it's a microcirculation problem in an eye, it falls in the crack between ophthalmology and vascular specialists.

In my case, it was a good guess. In addition to the eye issues, I periodically and suddenly get extremely cold hands and feet. I also get sudden and reversible tinnitus, and fit the other traits listed. Stress, cold, exercise, altitude, and changes in position trigger my symptoms. A number of visits to various eye doctors, some considered to be very prominent, found no other problem.

So my advice would be to try magnesium and the other lifestyle remedies suggested and see if they help. At worst you've wasted a bit of time.
I saw that somebody earlier in this thread mentioned that they found bending over helped to get rid of newly formed spots, so I've begun to try this myself any time something appears that looks like it might be bad. So far it seems to work quite well. The spots disappear soon after I start to feel the blood pooling in my head, and after 30 seconds they won't return. It's possible that I could achieve the same effect just by relaxing and breathing deeply like I've done in the past, but this does seem quicker. If this is indeed a vascular disorder, bringing more blood into the head could theoretically provide our precious retinas with some much-needed oxygen. It's worth a shot!
Just an update from me.  Spot in left eye has settled down a bit but is still being very annoying.  Mainly due to its proximity to the centre of vision and the fact it is directly at 9 o'clock.  Making it very evident on any horizontal lines.  Hopefully it will keep fading.  I've accepted it will be another blind spot.

Of note is that the temporary spots have really come back with a  vengeance at the same time.  They are almost a constant companion these last few weeks.

Really hope this spot will fade a lot more.  This one has had by far the most impact on my life of the spots.  I am worried to drive to tell the truth.
Hi matt, have you been taking any medication for this?
Finally I did a check with another ophthalmologist and nothing shows up, the retina seems fine (I did both an Optomap scan and a normal fundus exam). As the previous ophthamologist, he could see only my usual normal trasparent and moving floaters which I have since I was a young boy.

So it's been exactly a month that I have this bright spot when blinking in the lower-right side of my right eye and it's always the same, not worse and not better, and no other symptoms. Of course now my brain is quite used to it, so I didn't notice it often as in the first days and it don't bother me.

I ask the ophthamologist if it's a vitreal or retinal issue but he couldn't tell me for sure (since exams didn't show abnormalities). I don't think I'll make more exams, just I hope this thing will not get worse (or better improve)... of course it will be more reassuring to have a diagnosis, but well medicine in real life isn't like in House MD I think.

Previously Topomax, was prescribed Diamox but did not start that as my eyes were fairly stable.  Now Verapamil 120mg a day.

Seeing the Neuro next week so will see what he says.
Let me know how the ccb works matt
update from me, saw a neurologist the other day after being given pretty much an all clear from an ophthalmologist (the 3rd one to do so)

Basically the neurologist said that these persistent blinking spots are nothing to do with my brain and that it seems retinal.  He said the symptoms don't suit persistent migraine aura too.  Also poopoo'd any of the list of drugs I've seen on here.  He said I could try topamax, although I'm reluctant due to the cognitive impairment that seems a common side effect.  

He said he'll do an MRI but doesnt expect it to show anything.  He thinks it could be something called AZOORS.  This is something I mentioned to an eye consultant when this first started but he said I didn't show any signs of it.  Apparently there's some fluorescence test which I've not had yet.

He also said that what I've been calling occular migraines (purple/green or white "flash" in one eye, blind spot for 1-5 mins, no headache, different from the main symptom I'm concerned about) are also nothing to do with my brain because they occur in one eye at a time.  I think maybe my own terminology has been wrong for quite a while.  I've had these things all my life although it would be maybe once a week as a kid compared to 10-20 times a day currently.  I put the increase in frequency down to spending 8 hours a day on a computer.  

essentially I'm back to the drawing board.  It seems a common theme on this forum that people keep getting referred to the eye doctor to the brain doctor.  I was pretty disappointed.  I hadn't expected a solution but would've at least liked for my feeling that its migraine related to be taken on board.  

One good thing that both of the consultants said is that they've seen it before and that they've never seen anyone with serious vision problems as a result of it.  Neither of them have any idea of a solution though and have never followed up with the people with this symptom.  

Further to my above post.  I've just read the posts about Flammer syndrome, which seems quite an interesting theory.  I might mention it to the next consultant I see.  Migraine and tinnitus appear to be common symptoms of it.  
Hi latticeyes, thats very interesting , i too think its something to do with the eye, but azoor i think is different symptoms to us as they have flashing lights permanently which flash all day long. Ive done my research as ive had this problem we all have for a long time. Do you also get the bright white spots which are temporary all day every day? I do !
HI Welshy

Yeah I get flashing spots which are in different places and go away after a few minutes.  sometimes they're white and sometimes green/purple.  The neuro guy was pretty skeptical when I said they occurred in one eye at a time rather than "the left/right side of vision".  I've had this sort of symptom all my life but was told by an optician when I was about 13 that it was a migraine variant.  A consultant I saw in June said it was occular migraines after I'd described in full the symptoms.  but the most recent consultant disagreed with that.

I get similar stuff happening when I go into a warm building after being wrapped up warm against the cold outside.  its almost like a circle of numerous green spots around the central field of vision.  I have no explanation why it would happen at that sort of time.  
By the temporary spots are yours remeniscent of the afterimage of a camera flash? My temporary spots which i get all day long are bright white, after a few seconds some will turn darkish almost purple like am afterimage, then dissappear! Also i know exactly what you mean by the greenish ones in a circle around your central vision, i get this when i bend down and stand up releatedly or when im resting and suddenly increase my heart rate by standing up and walking! Also i get increased entopic phenomena like those worms flying around (not floaters)
sounds exactly the same Welshy.  Yeah sort of like a camera flash.  They're like tiny migraine aura spots I think which is why I called it "occular migraine" before.  I found beta blockers really cut them down, which contradicts the fact that the neuro guy didn't think it was brain/migraine related.

Beta blockers didn't help the more permanent spots though.  

I get the entoptic phenomena too.  apparently they're white blood cells.  Used to worry about them but not anymore now I know  what they are.  
=
For those with the permanent blind spots, do you see the spot all the time or only when you blink? Do you have to keep the unaffected eye closed while blinking to see the spot or can you see it just by blinking both eyes?  Has anyone had testing done to see if there is any tissue death causing the blind spot like if blood supply had been cut off? (eye stroke?).

My stupid spot still hasn't gone away and it's been a month.  It's now only noticeable when I keep my good eye closed and blink the other while looking at something like an amsler grid or white background. I think I check it so much I keep triggering flare ups.   thanks!
Oh thats good to hear we are similar, what beta blockers did  you use? And my case is almost identical to yours!
Hmmm. Starting to think that my symptoms don't match people's symptoms on here. Actually, everyone's symptoms sound very MILD compared to what I have been going through for 8 years. Try living with flashing arcs up and and down and down and up for 8 years.  You people complain way to much. I'm out...
I would give anything to have only a few "spots" a day. Try having flashng arcs up and down your eye for 8 straight years. I hope my eye strokes out or I go blind, so sick of it. I'll take your symptoms ANYDAY over my eye nightmare.
Sorry to break the bad news, but eye doctors are too stupid to figure out retinal problems. I have had flashing arcs from eye injury for 8 years. Destroyed my life, doctors offer NO TREATMENT and I have been to 4 retinal specialists in Colorado.
Have your flashes subsided? I've given up on docs and this board basically. My life is destroyed because of this. I really hope you don't have it forever like me, and 8 years is forever, especially since eye doctors aren't trained in anything useful.
I have had the flashing then blind spot too!!!
Well of course you have something different than everyone else. You've been on here talking about an injury for the better part of a year. Your symptoms may be horrible, and life changing, but they're not a mystery.
There are other symptoms that coincide with mine, such as the blind spots people are getting on here. I had a blind spot for two weeks that went back to flashing. Just because we might not have exactly the same thing, I was still seeking some sort of correlation between everyone's symptoms and mine. They all seem retinal in origin. Also, it seems as if the symptoms listed in this forum are much less mild than the injury induced flashes I have had for 8 years. There needs to be treatement, and I, such as you and people on here, are looking for any and all answers they can find. We might have something different going on in our eyes, but the prognosis could be similar and that is what I am looking for.
Update from me - I have been bedridden with a horrible cold/flu this last week and have had another spot appear just below my spot which appeared in December. Weirdly this one is not so bright but black on light surfaces. Hopefully it fades soon as it is damn annoying.
I often seem to get new spots when I am ill, docs say it is just coincidence, but I wonder if it points to a vascular or autoimmune problem.
Anyone else get new spots when they are ill?
Welshey, really weird my spots start dark purple and then turn bright white. Wonder why my temporary spots are the reverse of yours.
Moving from outside to inside or from bright to dark really sets them off. They occur more frequently at dusk and dawn.
I get these temporary things in both dark purple/green turning white (sometimes like the zig zag of a migraine aura) as well as exactly as welshy has described it.  

same about going from bright to dark as well.  

Well my spot is always the same, not better and not worse and no changes in its appearance, since when it first popped up on 18th december 2015 (more than a month, then). Hope it's a static floater as I think - in this case it makes sense that doesn't change in time, as my other moving floaters. However, doctors couldn't help me with a diagnosis. I'll try to ignore - it doesn't bother me much, however - it and watch for any changes.
Hey guys, I am really happy that  I found this page. I've first had this weird tiny spot end of last year, and for over a month now it keeps coming back (usually I notice it after I wake up in the morning) and then disappearing again. I would also like to list the conditions/symptoms that I have:
- Have OCD, anxiety and panic disorders (not treated with any medication, just CBT)
- Have had visual snow for all my life (also circulating and blinking lights and spots, but those are moving, whereas the spots we are talking about are static)
- Have myopia (R -3,5 L -5) and the spots mostly appear in the weaker, left, eye
- Sometimes experience pulsating pain in eyes or head (but not migraine; these often occur before rapid change of weather)
- Sometimes after a long day working on the computer my eyes feel strained, and I experience sudden and very short dizziness when looking at the screen
- I have bad posture when sitting, so recently my back also started aching in one area
- Sometimes I experience neck pain in either one or the other side, then the pain slowly travels towards my eyes and then to my head, my mom who is a doctor said it could be some nerve that is being pushed yet again because of my bad posture.
What worries me most is that this phenomenon is not yet researched (just as the visual snow that I also have). As I said before, I have anxiety conditions, so I immediately start to think that it has to be something serious, perhaps a brain tumor or such. However, since some people here said that they've had this for many years, I hope that it is indeed not a very serious issue.
P.S. interestingly, the spot also first occured when I was obsessing about perhaps having a brain tumor and was paying much attention to my body and all the symptoms. So it could also perhaps be of psychosomatic origin.
Also what I forgot to mention: I too think I have some teeth clenching problems! I've never noticed clenching my teeth before, but about a month ago (just at about the time the spot first appeared) I experienced jaw pain in one side just next to the ear when I was chewing food and it went on for a few weeks. I thought it had something to do with my operation (at that time I just had my wisdom teeth removed), but I looked it up and indeed the most common cause for jaw pain was teeth clenching. So it could indeed be connected!
=
Had an MRI the other day.  Basically my brain is fine, the only thing that was abnormal was swelling of the sinuses.  I had a bit of a cold and have had sinus issues for a few years so that's not much of a surprise.

Back to the drawing board.  

Quick question, does anyone else get "visual snow"?  I do a little bit in dim rooms.  I Don't know if these things might be related.