For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
Yep, curser seems a little funny but can still see it in the raindrop.

I think I need some new docs who will prescribe me these drugs rather than just anti epileptic stuff!!
Matt
I dont know how much longer i can deal with this bloody thing.
Every day new pixel spots when i squint in my central vision, bright and purple camera flash blobs. My white blood cells slowing down in my vision causing a temporary white spot in central vision. Amongst a new symptom i had this morning which looks like cracked panes of glass in my vision when squinting which takes on a camera flashy look. Im due to to go university very soon and not sure if i can cope with this much longer, in convinced its going to rob me of my sight and im afraid i cant keep a positive attitude about this.
Anything that is taking small amounts of your vision at a time is 100% not benign despite what all the doctors say. There has to be a reason for this, and its brought on by migraine, unlucky enough for us, maybe this only happens to 1/1,000,000 people but whatever it is we have to live with it. A terminal condition i think, with no ophthalmologist ever willing to seem interested in whatever 'it' is.
Sorry for the rant, but im more frustrated at the moment than worried, no one deserves this, and i hope (but highly doubt) this condition will be cured sooner rather than god damn later.
hi i had pneumonia and after about a week of puking and coughing very hard i noticed a small black spot in the upper right side of my right eye i only see it when i blink and looking at something bright been about 6 months now and it still there when i blink, i pretty much got used too it but it does bothers me once in a while.
Try to chill out, you have seen numerous doctors/specialists about this. Is it work going back to them, explain how you feel? See if the guilt can put you through more tests. Iv been where you are, your not alone.
Ive had every test there is so there is no point really, its just difficult to cope with.
Saw the sleep guy today. Looks like I have sleep apnea :s not sure what this means for the eye stuff. All he mentioned was he has seen it related to glaucoma and as a migraine trigger.
What tests did confirm the sleep apnea? And do you have problems sleeping?
I had a sleep study mate, wired up like a science experiment.  No probs sleeping at all just the spots on waking. My wife noted once or twice I gasped for air in the whole time we have been married.
So very interesting, Matt.  What's next? A cpap machine?

And Welshey, I owe you an email! :)
Morn'n Mel,
A mouth guard and sleeping on my stomach first. Hopefully that'll sort it so I don't need a cpap.
Woke up with another at 4am this morning. Fortunantly went mostly away after an hour and only left a little pixel spot. Assume related to sleep apnea, I had a couple of glasses of scotch before bed and was out like a light.
Hopefully they can get it under control. Still waiting to get an appointment to get the mouth guard. I think I'd rather go straight for the cpap.
Another one while eating dinner. My wife's lasangne. Still persisting around for around 30min so far. Really annoying these ones I've been getting this year. Most last around an hour. With the pinhole trick I can see the 'raindrop' and the veins going into it. Definetly a vasoconstriction or tiny blockage imo. Vasoconstriction more likely due to it happening while eating fatty foods. Strange as these ones were quite rare before this year for me. They normally clear up pretty spontaneously and sometimes leave a residual spot.  
Evening Welshey, I hear you mate, I know I've been in a similar space to what you sound like you are. I know I will be again. Try to get on with life a bit and keep your chin up. Easier said than done but don't let it rob you of what should be an enjoyable time at uni. Some stuff that has helped me reduce the occurance with those little spots,

1) de stress - easier said than done I know. I try and listen to podcasts or walk the dog or buy stuff.
2) sleep on my stomach. I get the pixels lots when I sleep on my back. See above post - prob not ur issue though.
3) diet - cuttin out fatty, sugary and processed foods has made a massive difference.  I'll have stuff like meat and veges, home made pizza, fish and salade instead of premade or takeaway and it has made a massive difference.

Matt
Yeah thanks for the advice matt, i will try the diet one. Do you suffer from every day temporary purple/white blobs in your vision? This is the worst for me definately. Worse on standing up from being sat down and also on lighting change.
I should add, basically I've been trying an 'angina' type diet (also without my main migraine trigger nitrates).
Sure do suffer from those, sometimes they are bad, sometimes not so bad. Usually worse if I exercise after eating or in certain lighting conditions.
Just seem to have phases when I get them a lot and phases when I dont
This is the longest and oldest discussion thread on the MedHelp.org.  Some of you are having either "Transient Smartphone Blindness" or a variation of caused by light from various sources and incidents. For those interested in learning more follow these links:  http://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMc1514294/suppl_file/nejmc1514294_appendix.pdf  and http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1514294
Dr hagan this is not what we are suffering with. Our symptoms are completely different. Dailt scotomas, varying in size , some remaining permanent. Presumed vascular constriction for no found reason, but looks like its got a connection with migraines.
There are over 1100 responses here.  One condition does not account for all these observations and complaints. I am merely suggesting to newcomers that they be aware of this recently described syndrome.
i think there is a similar underlying pathology however with all our complaints, because we more or less describe the same thing 'a camera flash like blob, that shimmers silvery when we blink'.
I think the constant staring at mobile phones and screens etc do have something to do with this condition.  our eyes didnt evolve to deal with it.  My symptoms are worse after heavy days on the computer (or catching pokemon!).  

I thought that the articles are quite interesting and I expect there will be more interesting arise due to mobile phone/computer use in the next few decade or so.  

However, I don't think its the full answer unfortunately to this problem.  Flammers/sinus issues are my latest theory.  

Ive noticed that my spots seem to be bad if im stood up for long periods of time. Say if im in a shopping centre. Also, another trigger for me is if im sat down eating, and when i stand up the spots will be very bad when i get up and start walking around again. I think this all has to do with vasospasm, and in some cases, lack of it. Because when i stand up, i think my blood vessels in my eyes dont constrict enough, which makes less blood flow through towards my retina, and the perfusion pressure is lowered. Im sick of all this though.
Wondering what exercise everyone here does?
I used to do quite a lot of running and weights but with these spots associated with exercise often I've cut out everything and now just walk the dog. ***** as exercise was such a good stress relief.
I used to go to the gym quite a lot but recently I had something which I believe is called an "exertion headache" while doing the leg extension.  Basically I got a searing pain in the back of my head while lifting which left a dull ache for about a week.  the initial pain was up there with the worst I've had but fortunately only lasted about a minute.  

I was straining and could "see" my pulse in my vision.  I was stupid to push too hard.  I've not been able to lift even small weights without a dull headache coming back for a day or two.  Only just able to go on the cross trainer at a light-medium pace.

I had scans etc and everything was fine.  Awaiting MR Angiogram results, which I hope might also shed some light onto the vision issue.  

I don't know if its related to the vision symptom but just a warning for people not to strain at the gym.  
I had a MR angiogram with contrast of my neck vessels and my eyes and nothing came back , it was all normal
Hi everyone. New here but I've been reading along for a few months. I too have a transient spot that comes and goes over a few minutes in my left eye. It's a white/bright spot shaped like a small curved line and it will appear after I blink against bright backgrounds. It will then dissipate until I blink again. I do not see it when my eyes are closed. I've had a brain CT that was clear, optometrist said my eyes were fine but referred me to an ophthalmologist because I insisted. Had a full work up yesterday including a full dilated exam, a visual field test, etc. She said my eyes are "completely healthy" and she thinks it is an ocular migraine. Told me to cut back on stress, caffeine, and get more sleep (gonna be hard to do with a 9 month old baby!) I'm not sure I'm on the same page as the ophthalmologist because I do go migraines and migraines with aura, and I can see that aura with my eyes closed. I can't see this spot unless my eyes are open, blinking, and looking at a bright background.
Welcome anbxo! Sounds like you are in the same boat as the rest of us.
Have you had any other weird eye symptoms? Anything trigger the spot that you were aware of?

Matt

I have quite a few floaters for being pretty young (I'm 26). I get migraines with auras, but they are the classic zig zag rainbow line. Nothing like this bright spot.

I did notice today that when I am wearing sunglasses, the spot is much dimmer than when I am not wearing sunglasses. Im not quite sure how that makes sense though. Any ideas? If this spot is happening in my eye, why would an external factor have anything to do with the brightness of the spot?
No ideas re the sunglasses, but I will say they help me as well.

The migraine with aura connection fits with most here, so i'd say you are in the right place!!
Hey guys, new here as well. I have had this for about a week and a half. It started as a bright light when I blinked, as if I had seen a camera flash or I've had a reflected sunlight hit my eye. Usually it lasts a few minutes then disappears, but once it did go, I had the after image stay. So whenever I close my eyes, I see the spot where the light was. And in certain lights it appears as well when I squint. It's worrying !
I have streaks of lightening and painful at that ,  that every time I move my eyes it happens ! I do have migraines and it happens will having a migraine /headache  but it not just when i have headaches it happens on an every day bases . I need answers and if there is anyone out there that can relate plz feel free to give me some in site ! I need hep to figure out what is going on and see what i need to do next !
Have you had your eyes looked at to rule out anything obvious?
Does the pain happen when moving your eyes?
If you have pain then you should go to the doctor again. I have very similar visual symptoms as you but there is no pain associated with it.  

I've had this symptom for over a year now and the main spots have remained unfortunately.  Others have appeared and disappeared over time.  Sometimes different spots "flare up" and become more noticable.

the only thing that seems to reduce these flare ups is a good amount of sleep and resting my eyes.

Hi all, i made a photo of what ny pixel spots look like. On my page.
I have googled this for years and this is the first time I found this page! I have the flash spot daily, here and there, when I blink it or even wave my hand in front of my eyes... I also suffer from migraines with aruras, but have not had one in over 2 years! Mine is worse when I have not eaten, I will actually get a few of the flashes that create a circle... I've often wondered if it was from low blood sugar... my family doctor referred me to an eye doctor that said it was photopsia. She also referred me for an MRI, but I am terrified to do so... any one on here has MRI's for this reason? What was found? Also anyone on here also have neck issues, I was told I had calcification of tendons in my neck years ago (I'm only 28, what the heck!)
I had an mri with and without contrast for this symptom and nothing came back. All clear! As most tests for people with this eye issue nothing comes back as 'abnormal'
I have dealt with this for years! Mine seems worse when I haven't eaten,  I thought maybe low blood sugar... they are really annoying, but worry me the most.  My family doctor referred me to an eye specialist who told me I have photopsia, I was also referred to have an MRI, but am terrified to have one! Has anyone on here had an MRI? What was found? Also, anyone on here have neck issues? I was told I had calcification of tendons in my neck years ago, wondered if there was any correlation?

Hey guys, new here as well. I have had this for about a week and a half. It started as a bright light when I blinked, as if I had seen a camera flash or Like I've  had a reflected sunlight hit my eye. Usually it lasts a few minutes then disappears, but once it did go, I had the after image stay. So whenever I close my eyes, I see the spot where the light was. And in certain lights it appears as well when I squint. Its worrying !
Hello, fellow "dead pixel" owners.

I have a "wealth" of various eyes symptoms, starting from a heap of typical floaters (with a big nasty Weiss ring as a bonus) to photophobia, after images, visual snow, starbursts (oh, how do I hate these...) and occasional (although very rare) migraines with scintillating scotomas.

While some of these symptoms are quite well documented (migraines, scotomas), others are still largely ignored by ophthalmologists and scientists.

After studying various eye diseases that may be causing this (as well as visiting almost all of the local specialists), I've come to a disturbing conclusion that this is currently an idiopathic disease.

One day I had a very nasty case of something that looked somewhat like a large bright spot as described here, and, unfortunately, unlike other "dead pixels" I have from time to time, that one was permanent. It shows up whenever I blink while looking at the bright background, and, unlike a simple "dead pixel". it stays for almost two seconds, gradually disappearing.

I made a visual representation of both "dead pixel" and this permanent "dead spot" and uploaded it to my page. (http://dmg98m9mr6pi1.cloudfront.net/user_photos/749918?1476861961)
The black circle is representing my current focus. The background is grayed to highlight the brightness of both pixel and spot.

It is somewhat hard to depict those since they are out of focus, obviously.
What is the difference between the dead spot and the dead pixel? I have both too. The dead pixel looks like a static floater, which is pure black when i squint against a light background. The dead spots look like camera flash afterimages.
Hey Welshey, thx for sharing your thoughts.

By floaters I mean those things: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Floaters.png or http://medscoopdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/maxresdefault.jpg

I have a heap of them (from gray to almost black) and these are of least concern to me, since my brain is somewhat adapted to them now.

I even have a couple of "Lvl. 2"-floaters: large ones that have some sort of "fog" attached to them (which briefly affects the vision when I turn to the light source, for example).

Both of these are curable to an extent (vitreolysis).

The "pixel" on the other hand, is very bright when blinking while looking on white. I'd say it is of bright sparkling silver color.

I made another crude graphic representation of it: http://i.imgur.com/kmXf5B5.gif

It's also appears somewhat yellowish/green when blinking on blue background.
(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/ff/Solid_blue.svg/2000px-Solid_blue.svg.png)

Mine appeared 2 days ago and is still there. I do hope it will disperse soon since it is very close to the focus point.

The large "dead zone" that I have is, unfortunately, It doesn't disappear over time.

If I were to somehow measure them, then I would say that the pixel is perceived as 1-2mm in diameter, while this zone covers no less than 8-10mm.

Does your 'dead zone' cover a mouse pointer? I feel that I can't measure my dead zone because it changes depending on how I focus my eyes. For example, if I am at my computer - it's not that big. But if I am driving and looking into the distance - it gets larger. Do you find that with yours?
I call mine a blind spot. I get my mouse pointer to totally disappear into it.
ah yes, i get every day temporary purple/bright blobs like exactly on that little animation you did. they get worse when a sudden change in blood pressure occurs. like when your lying down and then suddenly get up on your feet. or when you tie your shoelace for abit then stand back up. i've had these almost every day for around 18months now. really annoying.
i have one permanent spot , which i can only see, by covering my right eye for about 30 seconds which helps it adapt to the dark. after this, I face a white wall, and then uncover the right eye. ever so quickly i will see a dark purple splotch, where the original little spot was from last year. Otherwise, its too hard to notice thankfully.
this condition really is scary, and like anyone else who frequents this forum, you have to learn to live with it. feel free to message me whenever as i feel i could answer your questions.
ive had almost every test there is to have.
Hi Everyone, I have been lurking for a while... I have a 'dead zone' in my vision as well. It is permanent. I also have transient spots in my vision that come and go. I have floaters, but I don't worry about those too much. I have been to an ophthalmologist, neuro ophthalmologist and neurologist with no diagnosis so far. I feel so alone so I come here often to read these posts. It makes me feel better that I am not totally alone in this.
how long have you had this dead spot for? and how often do you get new transient spots? welcome to the club unfortunately
Since June 2 of this year I have had my permanent blind spot... I woke up with it. The temporary spots can last anywhere from a minute to 4 hours or so. I tend to panic when I get any type of spot in my vision, because I live in fear of getting another permanent blind spot.
For me, a mouse pointer would "only" disappear for a split second where the spot is, but only when I run my finger/glasses frame close past my eye.  

sometimes I get an extra spot which is really prominent but fortunately this tends to go when I get proper rest.  

I too have had pretty much every test going with no indication of what it is.  

the most comforting thing I learned is that both the eye doctor and neuro doctor said they've seen it before a few times but never seen anyone who has been left with serious vision issues as a result.  
Laticeyes, I don't wear glasses so I am not sure what you mean exactly. I am thinking I am not experiencing what most are on this thread. :(
I have spoke to many, many people who have had this for over 20 years and are still just fine. It is more of an annoyance. Keeping destressed is good, and hydrated, magnesium helps me too.
Hi all,

I have a very similar experience to Andrew. From about 17 I noticed many floaters. I also have what I call ghosting. I first noticed this in my sons room when he had a glow stick, when i moved the glow stick around the after image seems to linger longer than it should.

About 3 years ago I had a large circular light bulb type spot appear just to the left of centre of my right eye. It mainly went away after about 3-4 weeks. But if I looked at a bright wall and moved my eyes left and right it up and down quickly I could still see very slightly where the spot was. Coincidentally this spot showed up 3 days after a routine optomistrist eye exam. Since that time I have had the spots that seem to come up out of no where and then after 20 mins or so slowly fade away.

About 1 week ago the original bright spot came back. I am a web developer but for the last 17 months I have been looking after our new baby so I have not been on the pc as much. But for about 2 weeks I was back in from of the pc with my eyes squarely fixated on the screen and then the spot showed up again.Interestingly a few days later I was out with friends and had a few too many vodkas and when I arrived home it was gone, and still gone when I woke up in the morning. Of course I jumped straight back on the pc, and within a few hours the bright spot was back. As of this writing I still have it.

I have been diagnosed as having generalized anxiety and a health focused anxiety. I don't take any medication at all though, but I would say I have a very over actuve mind most of the time, and I have had many many transient health issues that I have had tests for with no results coming back as positive. Of course mostly after the tests come back magically the symptoms start to reside.

I have tried to pin point a trigger for this light bulb flash. But as yet I have no clue. The first time it happened I was a carnivore, never worked out, never ate well and rarely took vitamins. Now I'm a vegetarian, work out daily and take vitamins daily, so I'm not sure if diet or lack of exercise is th cause.

Last year I had a full dialated eye exam, and although I did not have the bright spot at the time, I did explain it to the dr as well as every other eye complaint I had. He said he belived me, but he said my eyes where is perfect health.

It's comforting to know others have similar complaints. Personally I'm not currently concerned. I've had this before and it resolved so I'm hopeful for a similar outcome this time around..
Well, got the all clear again as usual from my 6 monthly check up at the eye doc last week. Electro retina gram still had depressed signals but they hadn't got worse from last time. Doc basically said it was a mystery to him.
Unfortunately, I seem to have another permanent spot today. Fortunately small, but at 12 o clock in my left eye and really close to centre. Makes it very noticeable on any vertical line as a little cut through it or on the edge of a screen.  I attended a birthday party yesterday in someone's back yard and ended up getting sun burnt. Interestingly all my permanent spots have occurred at times when I had higher than normal sun exposure. Wonder if there could be a relationship there? Can light exposure kill the retina/ nerves?

Trying to stop myself getting depressed over this one.
Matt
Ff
Ff
Hey matt,

My dad mentioned a show aired on sbs about sun glasses. I will try and get the name of it.but the basic premise is that sun glasses without uv filtering can damage your eye. As the pupil is more dialated with sunglasses on.,

So how many spots do you have at the moment, and how long have you had them?
Matt, did your new spot go away yet? I got a new spot as well. Pretty much ruined my weekend.
Good point about the sunnies. Mine cost a couple hundred bucks because I sprung for polarising. Not sure about the uv protection though. I just assumed I guess :s.  

Spot still there. Just trying my best to try and ignore it and get on with things. Not easy. Seem to give myself headaches straining my eyes to check the spots. Think id know better by now.
I have had this for approximately 6 years.  It started shortly after a severe reaction from CIPRO that gave me nerve and tendon damage.  I have seen some of the top doctors and eye hospitals in the US and here is what I have found.   This is detectable and measurable.  If you get a normal Flourescin Angiogram, it will show nothing, however if they scan the periphery at 5 and 10 minutes, mine will show significant peripheral vascular leakage.  In addition, I show mild thinning on the OCT Nerve Fiber layer and some depressed areas on the multifocal ERG.  We have tried lots of things, 3 that seem to help are calcium channel blockers(nifipidine), asprin, and also Gabapentin.  None work 100%.......  I have found that if I get a new one and hold my breath, it will usually quickly disappear.  I have also found that asprin will make the new ones go away quickly.  They are still running tests and working to decide on the next treatment steps.  I get the same spots as everyone with a few large permanent ones.   I also have severe TMJ, Tinnitus, and Headaches.  
Hey florida! This really is interesting. By 'peripheral' on the flourescine test do you mean the peripheral of the retina? Or is this a different meaning?
What did your doctors think is causing it?
Also, do you get every day temporary splotches of these spots? I have them every day. Making any sudden change in blood pressure brings them on massively. Mine appear either bright white/dark purple like a camera flash afterimage.
Yes.  The periphery of the retina.   My spots are exactly like yours in that they look like a camera flash.  
Florida, did your doc say what is causing your spots?
Florida how often do you get these spots? I get temporary blobs every day
I notice a lot of us with similar accompanying symptoms.. anxiety, tinnitus, migraines, tmj. Perhaps we can get some sort of questionare together and see if we can figure out what is going on.. in a web site developer and could create an online form that we sign up to and report symptoms and perhaps collate and compare the date to see what symptoms, past history if illness, medications we all share.

I find the point made about aspirin making some different interesting. As aspirin helps thin the blood, and things like migraines make the blood vessels contract. Perhaps there is something to this. It could be argued that tmj, anxiety as well could created a contracting effect on blood vessels..

Has anyone tried any of the eye support formulas. I have started taking a formula with bilberry, lutein, zinc, beta carotene. These all are meant to support eye health..
Hi simonster, that would be great, a really good idea. I think it is due to blood flow. I notice my blood flow 'slow down' in my veins in my vision, and where it slows down I see a spot form. So theres no question to me, I think its a complication from migriane, and the blood vessels wont stop contracting and opening.
A rare complication to say the least.
Hi Everyone

First time here. It has been very interesting to come across this forum as I have also suffered from blind spot near the center of my vision for the past few years. Started with the left eye and now the right eye has the same issue. Just like you guys, went through some eye docs/retinal specialist and did all the regular tests (such as OTC etc). No issues can be found except for floaters developing over the year.

Hi guys

To give a break down of my issues:
1. First noticed it about 4 years ago in my left eye. Objectives in distance or even letters on a number plate from 5 to 10 meters now will disappear from the centre of my vision in a bright sunlight environment (also applies to when you look at signs with white light background). Now the interesting part here is the blind spot will be very noticeable when I close one of my eyes and only look through one eye. It appears when I look at the subject with both eyes, they compensate each other and disguise the blind spot to a certain degree (i.e. the subject will kinda reappear in the centre of the vision)

This issue has also appeared to be worsen over the years as the blind spot  will initially only be noticeable when looking at a distance but now seems to be gradually occurring at a shorter distance.

2. Like many of you guys, I have recently noticed the temporary white spot about a couple of months ago whenever I blink in bright environment or a sudden change of lighting. I can also confirm it's not isolated with blinking only as the spot will also appear if I look at a bright background and something quickly flickering across my eyes. From reading all of the messages, I also confirm it almost look like an afterimage of a camera flash into the pupil every time I blink but will quickly disappear. However this will appear at the centre of my vision all the time and I truly believe it's due to the quick light changes shining into my pupil.

Interestingly enough, beginning of this year I have started to treat my TMJ (with teeth grinding at night) with a set of splint but only started to develop tinnitus in my right ear and never went away. However after reading through this website, I have come to realisation that this quickly blinking white spot seemed to appear around the same time when I developed tinnitus in my right ear.

Sorry for the long read, I have also summaried a few key points in my next message and have some questions hopefully someone can assist with.
As Simonster suggested, completely agree with the set of symptoms that we all sharing. From a doc pt of view, I am a healthy male in the 30s with all the normal results from blood test and health checks. However I have long suffered the following things and wonder if you guys at least share some of them?

Chronic inflammation (esp in neck, shoulder muscles and joints, back and hip muscles) which the cause cannot be found. Trust me, I have seen so many specialist and no one can provide an answer. I have also been on strict diet and various supplements and only able to reduce the inflammation to a certain degree.

Suffer from random Ice Pick Headache since a teenager which is due to inflammation or entrapment of a sensory nerve within the scalp. These often come and go every few weeks or months but I strongly believe this is correlated with all the Chronic inflammation in my body. (I have received some improvements from this headache with all the supplements I am taking)

Suffer from anxiety and easily stressed.

TMJ and teeth grinding since a kid and now has tinnitus in the right ear only.

Very bad hayfever and allergy.

SO I am curious how many of us are suffering from chronic inflammation as the specialist told me most of the people do suffer from what is called the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and autoimmune system disorder is one cause for it. Apparently in this case our immune system is generating lots of inflammation to constantly attacking different parts of our body or thinking it's fighting against a hidden virus or allergen. In my case, I have this strange feeling that the inflammation is causing a shortage of supply of blood/oxygen to the eyes which causes the white blind spot as suggested by many of you guys.
It seems most of us do suffer from headache, tinnitus and eye issues and I am curious if there is a link between our immune system not functioning properly and these symptoms. E.g. you guys all know the cause of AZOOR could be related to an auto-immune process, whereby the individual's own immune system damages the outer, or peripheral, retinal cells. So to think about it, could there be a chance that our immune system is damaging all our nerve endings? I.e. nerve ending damage in the ear that causes tinnitus and most importantly inflammation and optical nerve damage in the eyes?

From my own personal experience, I feel my body is degrading over the years due to the suffering from the unexplained chronic inflammation. It feels like as if something is slowly damaging all the nerve endings within my body. I.e. Inflammation -> body pain -> eye nerve system -> Tinnitus (ear nerve system)

Once again, apology for my vent on my own health issues. I really don't want to sound like a whinger but I really want to find a solution as no docs can help me and I am really running out of options. Just want live a normal life and stop have to worry about all these unexplained health issues.
And lastly, can I get a confirmation from everyone on what you guys are suggesting to take? So far I have the following:

Ginkgo Biloba
Magnesium L-Threonate
Low dose of CCB etc (might try this last as I am keen to start taking Ginkgo Biloba)

And the supplements that I found that helps me battle some of my symptoms are:

Fish Oil with a small amount of coconut oil
Probiotics such as L-Glutamine
Celery juice or tablets
Orthoplex Repairase

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
I have this, exactly this! I'm 44 (had it for at least 8 yrs, optician says eyes are normal)

I stare at screens A LOT - it seemed to come on after a few years of that but I am also anxious and under a lot of stress.

I have other anxiety induced anxiety symptoms- tinnitus, other visual disturbances and aura migraine (no headache)

Ithappens in both eyes (one at a time always) but mostly my right.

Weird. I don't like it
Hello everyone! It has been long time since I last visited here about 7 months ago. I went to eye doctor and my eyes are perfectly normal. I also went to EEG and nothing abnormal there. I have these spots much more rarely than 7 months ago. I think this is an anxiety symptom. I have been really relaxed for last 5 months and I have had really few spots and much smaller than before. My neck muscles are also more relaxed than before when I changed my pillow. I wonder if there is a connection.
It seems I accidentally answered your comment. Sorry. Everyone read the comment above!
Great news makkaraa, i agree. I worried alot and this eye issue followed. Hope your eyes stay good for you and everyone on this thread.
This is the first posting I've found that perfectly described something I starting noticing last Friday. Coincidentally, it occurred first just after a massive panic attack (I've dealt with anxiety on and off, depending upon circumstances. This past month had been tough). I'm headed to the eye doctor in a few hours, but my guess is that this is entirely provoked by anxiety. (That's the hope!)
I have had the exact same thing for a week and a half. I noticed it after a stressful morning rushing to the train station with my daughter in her buggy, having to Life her up the station stairs in the buggy which was really heavy as she's a lot older. I was really stressed out and I could feel a headache coming on and the back of my neck felt like I pulled something. What's the day after I came down with a cold that made me nauseous and headaches that kept coming and going. The cold is over but I still have the headaches and the lightbulb flash 'ghost' as I call it. Weird stuff. Hope it goes soon as the headaches are getting better.
I think, the anxiety causes a tiny vessel in the back of your eye to constrict. This slows the blood supply. Just a tiny bit. It may go, try bending over and touching your toes and holding that position for 1 minute every morning.
Hello Again Fellow Sufferers,

I have described my symptoms a number of times in previous posts so I won't again, but I wanted to throw out there that I am going to Massachusetts Eye and Ear next week (this as a follow up from an unsuccessful Bascome Palmer visit in Miami, where @sarah4983 was successful in someone seeing 'vascular damage', either way both prestigious eye specialists), and wanted to outline where I think we are (correct me if I'm wrong).

To start, I want to point out again that when a 'spot' occurs, 99.9% of the time it has been resolved by simply bending over and having blood rush to the head/eyes for at least 30 seconds. Secondly, I do take Gingko and a small amount of Magnesium every morning but am not convinced on their effects at this dose (I have not tried CCB's), but what I do notice is that drinking a lot of water (near the 3L recommended per day) seems to have calmed new ones down (this supposedly keeps your blood pressure consistent and capillaries from constricting). Doesn't prevent them entirely tho.

I have changed diets for months at a time (standard sugary & alcohol, to caveman, to literally nothing but organic vegetables, fats and meats) with no changes. I go from exercising to none at all with no changes. The only thing that seems to be consistent is a drop in, or low blood pressure can create temporary spots - this can happen when suddenly walking up a hill or just sitting upright for extended hours at a time.

There is a survey already created by @sarah4983 here:
https://surveyplanet.com/571b7b90a7ede18e32198917

So in my understanding: current general theory is there are vasospasms (or Flammers Syndrome-like symptoms) causing hypoxia (loss of of oxygen/blood) in the choroid layer of the retina. Some people have had this shown when using high-res and in-depth equipment such as an SD-OCT (new device not found in many places yet).

Let me know thoughts and further questions I can ask. I will follow up afterwards if there is any success.

CB10101
Mt. Sinai followup:

So I had just about every imaginable test possible, including about 4 different OCT machines, and the initial assistants and doctors could not see anything... until Dr. Demetrios Vavvas came in. He is a very experienced retinal specialist, and almost immediately saw damage through, of all devices, a slit lamp! He saw a number of my spots and confirmed they are real, and through the OCT scans could see that they are minor abnormalities in deeper layers in the retina.

This is amazing that someone has finally seen my permanent spots! While he does not have a specific idea what is causing them, he has recommended that I reach out to all of you to go see him - his team is interested in figuring this out (and they're one of the best in the world!). If you have the means, please go and let him check you out and do follow ups - the more people we have on record with this issue, the more likely we will find out what's causing it and the more interest these specialists will have in researching it.

I am going to be doing a further nail bed capillary test for Flammers Syndrome and will follow up then.

Here is his details for anyone who can schedule an appointment with him:

http://www.masseyeandear.org/find-a-physician/v/vavvas-demetrios
Just to confirm with everyone: this is not in your mind, and is a physical process happening in the retina.
Hi Cb10101, so amazing that someone has found something (as weird as that sounds)
Was he suprised when he saw the spots?-like has he seen this before at all?
Did he think that whatever was causing this was likely to be serious?
He was surprised to see the spots, and had not seen this type of thing before, but found it obvious that they were there. He would not comment on seriousness as he couldn't theorize on what was causing this either.

Unfortunately no answers, but at least one of the top retinal specialists can vouch for further test and this being a 'real' thing.
Yes that is good news kinda!
Did he say what would cause these spots in an ACTUAL condition? Like did they look similar to cotton wool spots
I recently found this research study - apparently there is a super strong link between stress and perceived phosphenes when going from bright to dark surfaces. I'm thinking that anxiety is really what's at play here, and that this particular symptom is not what one should be concerned about.

http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v26/n1/abs/eye2011247a.html

Also, I just went to the optometrist yesterday. He said my retinas were in perfect condition, and that the pinpoint of light I see is likely entopic (vasospasm, as has been suggested many times).

I look forward to focusing my efforts on stress reduction. :-)
Hi Guys

Any further updates on the bright spot when blinking?
I just wanted to post something on this topic because I've experienced this before. I haven't read through all the posts because there are pages of them.
Last year I noticed a little black shape/spot in my vision whenever I blink or the background drastically changes colour from light to dark. I was quite worried but I left it be. It was in my left eye, and it stayed for about a month, then it disappeared.

Now, a year later, around now, I developed another thing the same in my right eye. It's been here for a week now, it's slightly bigger and much more noticeable. It's kind of like an afterimage stuck in my vision whenever I blink. I'm really worrying now. I'm going to my opticians soon. I keep checking to see if it's still there. It's more noticeable when I squint as well.

Weird thing is I get weird burning spots in my vision quite a lot that just appear and dissolve quickly. Ivebeen to specialists about these, had mri. Nothing wrong, they put it down to stress and said its nothing harmful. However, this spot is staying longer than they do; more than a week now. :( I'm 20
Hi there. An update for people...I have a tiny little dot in the center of my vision for almost two weeks now, but I can tell it's slowly receding now that I'm really making some changes towards curbing my anxiety. I did the reading on Flammers syndrome, and wouldnt be surprised if there is an element of that going on, exacerbated by stress. I've started back at the gym, taking multivitamin, and Magnesium. Stress is rediculous stuff, but it can be overcome!
Hi Lenozi Is your burning spots happens when you blink or something quickly move past your vision? Does it appear at the center of the eye and dissolve quickly?
Yes it happens when I blink. It's just off the centre and they do dissolved away after blinking
I'm 22 and that's crazy because the same thing is happening to me... I've always been a hard blinker and I thought it was dry eyes but like recently I've been seeing this lazer blue dot in my vision which shows up randomly and black dots-- this has been happening for a few months on and off... Idk if I'm going crazy but I was freaked out about it since the first time it happened and I'm a very anxious person as it is so ik if I focus on it a lot I will stress myself out. I also def need glasses and haven't been prescribed any yet. I can see that my vision although not horrible but with these floaters and all it gets irritating. I especially notice these dots when there's a shift in light or like bright surfaces or in darkness.
Has anyone come across the possibilty of this being a migraine?
I am going to see a eye specialist tomorrow and they will examine if there is any issue with the nerves in my eyes. I will keep you guys posted.
I'm having this issue for almost 2 years now. Transient blind spots pretty much everyday. Most come and go within seconds, the occasional one stays for minutes. But once in a while they stay for more than 1 hour, and when they do they usually stay for more than a day, and that's when a permanent blind spot develops. Been examined by the eye doc twice, but he couldn't see anything and said it's some form of migraine and is basically innocent. I don't see how a process that slowly introduces more permanent defects in your visual field can be innocent though. Fortunately all my blind spots so far had been relatively far away from the center, but this week I developed one "dead pixel" right on or very near to the point of focus. The closer to the center the spots, the smaller they seem to be.

A year before this eye thing started I developed tinnitus. I also have jaw tension issues, teeth grinding, and very high levels of anxiety (always had that). As a teenager I suffered 3 or 4 episodes of a classic migraine with aura, but I haven't had that happen in 15 years. My symptoms started right after I was really focused on my vision because another unrelated thing. Also, since this stuff started I do a lot of testing with my eyes, checking if new permanent blind spots have appeared, and checking the size of existing ones. This constant testing which involves opening and closing your eyes strains my muscles too which seems to make it worse? At one point I thought I was causing everything myself by straining my eyes and facial muscles from all the testing. In any case, I can't seem to commit myself to a 2 month period of absolutely no testing and straining to see if it helps. I'm just too anxious about it.

It's really starting to freak me out to be honest. If this keeps up for another 20 years I'll have a significant amount of visual field defects. I wanted to ask your opinion on this. Do you think we are slowly going to go blind from this? Or perhaps develop a severe visual handicap?
Oops, I meant to post this as a seperate answer, not as a comment.
droid5, you have gone through the same emotions as me. You are not alone, I to, have had many tests, full blood work ups, OCT, Angio more Fundus exams than I can count. I have about 3 perm spots in my left, one big one at bottom left and the same in my right eye, one big one in the bottom right (although, both in different positions relative) and a few other smaller ones. Iv had this 9 years. Eye specialists never been able to find anything, although acknowledge there maybe some damaged caused by an unknown means, its been suggested that this could be spikes in blood pressure due to... you guessed it.. anxiety, stress, panic. I also suffer from something called benign fasciculation syndrome due to stressing about my eye. So its full circle. No one here has lost their vision or gone blind, myself, I have very good vision and only notice these spots in very certain conditions or when im ill/very tired. I havent had any new ones in a year, funny enough, as I started to relax after speaking to the many doctors. I have also been told that this is not "uncommon" in young males such as myself (with no other health issues) relating to reports of peripheral eye abnormalities. So don't worry. You are fine, go back, get them to do tests, get them to re-do the tests. But listen to the experts and specialists.    
droid 5, I think you are dealing with anxiety, which is very treatable. I had a nasty last two months with high stress for a variety of reasons, but I've finally started to come down after commitments to the gym, a check up, and visits to the eye doctor. I'm headed to a therapist next, because I recognize that the issue is me! I've gone through this multiple times in my life, and while some of the visual effects were new this time around, all of the other issues clearly point me in the direction that this is nothing more than anxiety -- the one single thread that seem to link all of us together on this forum from over what...7 years of comments or so? No one here has lost their vision from what I can tell.

Take care of your anxiety -- it's one of the most treatable issues doctors can deal with!
I know I'm dealing with anxiety, and I'm pretty sure the symptoms are made worse by my anxiety. If a doctor would tell me it's completely caused by my anxiety I would even believe it. I've created many physical symptoms purely by stress over the last 20 years. But that doesn't change the fact that the retinal damage is real, not imagined. I can hide the mouse cursor in my biggest blind spot.

Unfortunately for me, the anxiety doesn't seem to be very treatable. I've been in therapy and on all sorts of meds for most of my adult life, with little relief so far.
droid5, not to minimize what you are saying, but hopefully you recognize that everyone has a "blind spot" in their eyes that could cover a mouse pointer, where the optic nerve connects to the retina. That is totally normal (although you seem to suggest you have multiple). If you had permanent retinal damage, I would think the doctors would see retinal pigmentation. Keep hopeful. Hopefully your anxiety can be resolved at some point, too. Life changes, so some day things might be different. :-)
The doc asked me to do further tests on my retinal. Apparently the scan showed some "burning" spot in the center of my retinal. She said its commonly caused if ppl r looking through a microscope for a long period of time or had laser shined into their eyes or looking directly at the sun for too long.
However I have never been exposed to such incidents so I have really no clue why this has happened to me. The only logic reason I can think of (which the doc disagree) is the overuse of my eyes from looking at monitors and mobile screens....
I think you have Central Serous Chorioretinopathy, from reading your posts about a afterimage spot that stays in the very centre of your vision all the time. The thing the doctor saw is most likely a blister, ask about it. I think this is what is going on
Just wanna say I saw an eye specialists and they noticed my optic nerves are 'elevated'. They said it might be to do with that. Gonna see what's causing it, because it can be just because they have always been that way, if so , it's nothing to worry about.
I had these exact symptoms. The first time I went to the opthamologist, he couldn't find anything wrong. I went back and he did a retinal scan and then saw that I had a clear case of CSR. I am a 32-year-old, white male. I hope this helps!
Here is a potential solution for everyone:
https://www.natureword.com/properties-and-benefits-of-yuzu/
Update: My central pixel has been gone now for two weeks. Perhaps CSR as well, although the optometrist didn't see anything. I'm any case, I've been rigorously working on stress management, so I'd like to think that's the reason for my improvement.
Hope everyone is doing OK. I have posted several times in the past and I experience the same general symptoms as you all. Recently, I have begun to notice that my spots can be more evident (and/or I tend to notice new ones) when looking at a red background. Does anyone else experience this?
Hello everyone! I am going to get my MRI results tomorrow. I am little bit worried of course but at least my eeg was same as 4-years ago. I have had much less spots for last 3-months and very few gray spots. Last febuary I got my longest gray spot which lasted 3-days. After that all the spots I got have lasted only 5-minutes at max. I am really worried about the MS but I have no other symptoms for that than these spots. Also I am pretty sure that with MS the spots come and last weeks and then disappear for months. For me I get these spots almost daily (but as I said fewer than before). I am going to tell my results tomorrow! Also if anyone is interested I visited a eye doctor on last june and my eyes were perfectly normal in every aspect. So nothing wrong with my eye nerve. This might be something related to stress maybe? In any case I hope you are all doing all right. And for the person who said that the spots are most noticable against red background, same with me.
hi makkaraa. i agree, at times i think this is anxiety related. sometimes i feel calm, and still get them. beats me
Ok I guess everybody missed the important stress related article I posted here....
My MRI was normal!
Hello everybody. Firstly, let me say how comforting this is to finally find other people who at least understand my symptoms.
I have been experiencing this for over a year. Began last novemeber after I was treated for proliferative diabetic retinopathy with panretinal photocoagulation. At this point I had no vitreous hemmorrhage or macular edema and there was no problem at all with my vision in either eye. A few days after my first treatment and I noticed a shower of bubbles which I immediately thought must be related to the the retinopathy DO headed for hospital only to be examined and told there was nothing wrong with my eyes. Fast forward a few months later and I was given the all clear for the retinopathy and told the laser had been successful. However due to stress I began having terrible migraines and noticed a bright blank blind spot right next to the centre of my right eye that flashes when I blink and shimmers occasionally also. I had an OCT, dilated eye exam and fluorescin angiogram and everything was normal. That was six months ago and since then I have developed 8 more! In both eyes! All close to the centre and in each eye I have two or three touching the actual fixation point but not obscuring it completely. Luckily, as they are in different places in each eye the opposite eye compensate each blind spot for the other. One optholmologist noticed what looked like historical optic neuritis in my left eye. It couldn't be sure. But I have since seen numerous other ophthalmologists who have said both eyes look perfectly healthy. Only last month I had another optician (not ophthalmologist though - so I take it with a pinch of salt for now) who told me he could see a slight linear blemish on my macular corresponding to the bright blank spot in my right eye. He mentioned both Central Serous Retinopathy and Macular Degeneration (unlikely as I am only 29)  I am due an ophthalmologist appt. in a few days to check this out.

Worth noting also is that (possibly due to stress) 2 nights ago, after a severe migraine, paralysis and another blind spot I was rushed to hospital with a suspected stroke which they diagnosed as hemiplegic migraines.
So far I have tried 400mg magnesium, 25mg topirimiate and 25mg atenolol.

My theories are possibly:

CSR

WHITE DOT SYNDROMES INCLUDING CHORIORETINOPATHIES

NEURORETINOPATHIES

ATYPICAL MIGRAINES

INTRACRANIAL HYPERTENSION

VASCULITIS

AZOOR

CYSTOID MACULAR EDEMA

ACUTE MACULAR TOXIC RETINOPATHY

ACUTE MULTIFOCAL PLACOID PIGMENT EPITHELIOPATHY

I appreciate some of these will be very far fetched and unlikely, it is a long shot I know. But I am a single mum to two young children and I am desperate to try to find out what is happening to me. I am paying for a private MRI as I no longer trust my doctors. I will update any findings. Thank you all so much for keeping me encouraged though. Genuinely has been the scariest time of my life. Any ideas welcome.
Jemma.
do you get these spots every day? as in temporary spots all day long? i do. it is rare for me to get permanent spots (touch wood) its more these temporary bright white and purple spots that occur frequently, standing up for a long time makes them worse. also, if im sat down and suddenly stand up i will see a bunch of these spots
My spots are permanent. As in I notice them as a brief flash when I blink but as blank spots which can 'blend' in to other background colours at all other times. I am blessed to have a retinal specialist who cares enough to be equally as baffled as I am and has ordered more tests for me. After another OCT and visual field (which showed my main blind spot near the centre!) he ruled out any disease in the eye (that he and the machine could tell) as a cause. He mentioned lupus among other auto immune diseases as possible contenders for these symptoms. Worth a try and I will update on any outcome. I also have an MRI booked. It's exhausting isn't it?! And such a lonely worry. I'll keep updating.
Sorry! I accidentally posted previously as a comment. I have posted several times before explaining my similar symptoms to many here. Recently, I have begun to notice that my spots can be more evident when looking at a red background. Does anyone else experience this?
Hi. In my case that isn't true but I didn't want to leave you waiting for a response! For me, I notice my spot against all colours and all backgrounds but any fine detail such as letters or patterns show mine up the most. Against a red background my spots do seem to be quite bright but they are against most.
I have 8 of these oval shaped annoyances that are purple when squint and look at a white wall. When I blink it's like my eye lids are smacking water drops with a slight glow on the edges. Went to a retinal specialist and said my retinas are fine with the exception of some microaneurysms during the dye test. Says the microaneurysm might be from diabetes or high blood pressure. I don't have any diabetic signs. Maybe high blood pressure. I've had a stressful 4 years which is when they started to show up. He also said it might be the vitreous drying as patients with that can see the spots when closing their eyes. Either way it's annoying and doesn't go away. :(  I'm afraid I'm going to go blind and NO ONE has a cure!!
i think this whole thing gets worse with stress. try to calm down, trust me ive had this for a long time, its very scary but you wont go blind.
Microaneurysms close to the centre of your vision would definitely create these visual disturbances for you. If diabetes has been ruled out then try to keep your blood pressure and cholesterol in check and these microaneurysms can disappear with time.
The bright spot when blinking issue is a vascular problem in the brain, as the Scotoma Scintillata. Not an eye problem. Anxiety, neurosis, too much cofee, no enough water intake. I drink lots of water, and in one hour its gone.
i think your thinking of migraines?
I've progressively had them for 3 years and once they stay they stay in the same place as blurred spots. I drink plenty of water and now I don't drink soda and they are still there. Retina specialist says retinas are good after the dye test was done. Just some microaneurysms
what did he say was causing the microaneurysms? were these microaneurysms in the same spots as the blind spots?
Yes, I was talking about the so-called "ocular migraine", which in  most cases is not about any headache. The zig-zagging multi-colored horrific shapes that take off your visual field. Scientific name "scotoma scintillata". Vascular origin. in the brain.
Lazman you right, some of us may have vascular damage in the brain, some of us do not have any vascular problems.
I get exactly this - and have for about 8 years. Stress definitely makes mine more frequent. Like many other people, I suffer from aura migraines and sinus issues and anxiety. I've been seeing my GP (all my tests with eyes are normal except for a PVD in my left eye) GOP thinks it could be migraine related - (I'm sure we've been told that before) and I was going to write it off as a dismissal - until I found out about Irlen syndrome. (Visual Stress) that led me in a whole new direction on terms of research - like the work Professor Wilkins has been doing with coloured lenses to reduce migraine activity. (Migraineurs have been found to have more oxygen in the brains (highly excited beurons) - I think constant mobile phone usage and scaled screens seem to excite my brain but if you your tube it or look for visual stress articles you might be interested. As well as the flash bulb and dark patches I am now having a bunch of other symptoms, patterns and lines shake, text moves about etc. I'm being tested for the need for coloured lenses next week. Maybe something like that could also help you guys? My feeling is it's brain related not eye... hope you are all having less probs with it x
LED SCREENS not scaled. Sorry for all the errors - can't see what I'm typing!
Here is a link to the research I mentioned. I'm not saying visual stress itself is a cause of the blinky flashing but if it *is* related to hyper excitability of the visual cortex and visual stress is - it might be from the same root cause?

When I get the camera flash blobs they are only in one eye at a time unlike migraine aura, but I'm trying the coloured lenses (if the assessment says I need them) to calm my entire visual system down, which I feel IS overactive. I notice EVERYTHING from my vision now, entoptic phenomenon, sunlight and glare really bother me and the more recent symptoms of pattern distortion and vibrating vision are possibly all related to that. Worth a try, eh?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2478741/

There are other articles on this too. My doctors/ophthalmologists say my troubles are migraine related - but none of them have ever said people with migraines get this sort of visual distortion/ disturbance WHILE NOT ACTUALLY HAVING A MIGRAINE EVENT. This is why I've always been a bit dismissive of it as a cause. (How could it just be migraines when my migraines are typical and last 25 mins etc)

Anyway, good luck to us all!
This was meant as a reply! Stupid phone. (Or can I blame the blind spots?!)
hi jemma, from viewing your posts i think what you have is something different to what everyone here is suffering from. the blind spots we get do not tend to show up on a humphreys visual field test. and you said you have 8 of these some blocking out your central vision which sounds much more severe than anyone here. and the history of your retinopathy and laser treatment makes me think it will be due to that maybe
Sorry, I should perhaps elaborate.

My eye doc for my (treated) Retinopathy has ruled out any eye problem causing my spots.

My 'main' spot does now show on both amsler and Humphrey Visual Field Tests but did not always.

Only one of my spots shows on the visual field whereas the other 8 do not.

You're totally correct and it could be a totally different pathology but my symptoms are identical and as of yet I have had no explanation for the spots.

When I was treated for my retinopathy I had no visual problems at all. My problems started much later and during times of high stress. I also began having migraines at the same time.

But again, could be completely different.
have you tried bending down and lowering your head whilst tensing your stomach until your face goes red? this usually stops pretty nasty ones for me.
do you get temporary splotches sometimes? i get them daily , permanent ones are much rare thank god
I have the same issue. I wonder if it might have to do with a bright light coming in from the side, while you are focused on something else - like a second monitor while you look at the first in front of you or bright window on the side while you look forward at a monitor? The eye is adjusted to what you are seeing in front of you, so too much light is allowed to come in from the side... or some odd angle. It started for me after sitting at work with a bright monitor to my right for many hours. After changing that, the spot is still there... but it has only been 3 days...
I have the same issue. I wonder if it might have to do with a bright light coming in from the side, while you are focused on something else - like a second monitor while you look at the first in front of you or bright window on the side while you look forward at a monitor? The eye is adjusted to what you are seeing in front of you & so too much light is allowed to come in from the side...
Apparently my blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes checks were fine- the blinky (camera flash bulb after image) type flashing for me tends to resolve within an hour - gradually getting less bright and smaller until they go completely, but every now and again they leave me with dark patches which seem a bit bigger, less intrusive and show up grey-ish against the sky but white-ish against a black surface. They usually last a few days.

These don't show up on visual field tests and there are signs of them in my eye at all. (I do have a permanent spot which looks like a water droplet on glass when I blink - I feel this is different though, and this does show up on a slit lamp test. The ophthalmologist wasn't worried about it at all and said "it's tiny - it looks old and has probably been there for a very long time"  she also explained that I'm noticing it more because of the blinking. It *is* different, and never changes and the only thing it has in common with the camera type flash is that I notice it more when I blink.)

I get the camera flashy thing randomly, sometimes when out walking, sometimes at night watching TV - out of nowhere, it's often when I feel stressed but not always.

In case it IS related to visual stress, (hyper excitability of the visual cortex) I'm going to get Irlen type coloured lenses (about £400 incl test). I'll look "affected" (like the actors who wear them Whoopi Goldberg, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp) LOL! but if the only benefit is that it reduces migraine with aura, I'll be happy! It is supposed to help with text distortions and vibrating/flickering  vision too. Do any of you have trouble with busy patterns? Looking at photos on your phone? Backlit screens? High contrast colours flashing? Venetian blinds, rows of things etc.? Anything like the video below? I've been having these symptoms to a greater/lesser extent since beginning of 2015. (Had aura migraines since 1993 and the intermittent flashy blinky thing since 2008)

https://youtu.be/FARizLljRkc

Calming down my entire visual system *feels* like the right thing to do, for me.

Will let you know if it also helps the blinky flash. Fingers crossed.

Hope you all have a good day today. :)
Sorry that should read "NO signs in eyes at all"