EYE CARE
COMMUNITY
For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
by Astroturf, Feb 15, 2008
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
Member Comments (658)
by Astroturf, Feb 15, 2008
I would also add that my bright spot is significantly worse after working at the computer (which I do several hours a day).

I can not see my bright spot in dim/dark conditions. It is aggravated by bright light and light-colored backgrounds.

by doobie07, Feb 15, 2008
Hi astroturf
I would also describe myself as anxious and a worrier
I'm not on any meds
I do clench my teeth and grind them at night
I have a TON of floaters, since I was a kid
I have migraine with aura
I cannot see the spots in the dark, unless I'm watching TV or on the computer etc
They are most noticeable against light backgrounds, the sky and when glancing at anything with contrast. horizontal blinds and lined paper are awful.
by doobie07, Feb 15, 2008
astroturf,
does your spot show up on an Amsler grid?
can you see through it or is it a scotoma (blind spot)?
can you see in when you watch TV? on the computer monitor etc? what about when you are reading? are you aware of it then?
by Astroturf, Feb 15, 2008
Yes, my spot shows up in the Amsler grid. It is in the upper right quadrant. It appears as a whole, with the grid lines becoming slightly distorted as they "fall into" the whole.

Yes, I can see through the spot. It is not a totally blocked scotoma. Sometimes it appears light grey. Other times it is almost pinkish. Sometimes blue. It looks very much like the afterimage of a bright light and goes through the same variations of color. But it is never a black, opaque spot.

Yes, I see the spot when I'm watching TV or at the computer. Mostly, it shows up when I see it cross over the edge of the TV/computer screen.

I can never look directly at the spot as I can do with my big floater in the other eye. This spot is fixed in the same position, and it's not exactly central.

It seems to show up mostly when my eyes are  moving and the light/background conditions are changing. Once my eyes are steady and fixed on something, the spot disappears. But if I, say, look up from the computer screen, and then back down at it....the spot appears again.

by Astroturf, Feb 15, 2008
I do wonder about the clenching, though, because I clench very VERY hard on that side. Sometimes, the side of my face goes numb from clenching. Other times, my ear or eye starts to hurt. It seems reasonable to me that tensing all the muscles on that side of my face might irritate the optic nerve?

But then, I'm no doctor.

by doobie07, Feb 15, 2008
I can see through some of my spots a little, others make the grid lines disappear.

Mine don't have color, just range from white like a bright light to gray through to black (interestingly, they are only truly black indoors when I have sunglasses on and am looking at a fluorescent light! not sure what to make of that)

Like you, the spots are most noticeable when they fall on the EDGES of the TV screen, monitor etc.

I can't look directly at them either.

I'm sure if I could sit down with an expert and they took the time to look at all the pieces of the puzzle, a lot might be explained. Unfortunately, in my experience doctors simply don't have the leeway to do that, through no fault of their own

Same with the eye movement too. If i'm busy typing on the computer, I don't really notice them, but if I glance down at the computer screen and back up, they "flare".

I hvae a lot of tension in my neck, shoulders and jaw and wonder if there is a connection also.

by doobie07, Feb 15, 2008
I should also add, I got a new spot yesterday afternoon. Now I have two "active" annyoing spots in my right eye at once, which has never happened before. While most of my spots are pemanent, after a few weeks they "fade" to small scotomas and I don't really notice them all the time (like I do with the new ones"). The old ones are visible mainly under the circumstances I mentioned above, unless I got looking for them.
by Laurieinwa, Feb 15, 2008
Ok I am curious about all of this.

I have just been diagnosed with AZOOR/AIBSE it is characterized by a blind spot, and flashing lights within that blind spot. It is a retinal disease and affects the rods and cones. They don't know much about it, there is no treatment, it is rare (but perhaps many people aren't being diagnosed right), lots of floaters in the affected eye are common. I actually have it in both eyes but didn't notice the blind spot in my left eye, but it is active in my right.

Have any of you ever had a mfERG this would diagnose if this is actually a retina or optic nerve problem?   Ask your opthalmologist about it.

I was misdiagnosed with optic neuritis for 9 months. I don't notice my flashing lights all the time, different light levels either show it as light like a moving fan or black like writhing snakes.
by doobie07, Feb 15, 2008
That's interesting. On my last opthalmologist visit I actually asked about MEWDS, AZOOR, enlarged blind spot syndrome etc and all were ruled out. I had no clinical signs. I did have an ERG when all this started and it was negative.
Tell me, do the flashing lights "flash" independent of eye movement or blinking? Mine don't.