Eye Care Community
For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Viewing 601-624 comments:
Check it out and tell me about your experiences*
Just be sure you have the fork really close to your eye... almost touching your eyelash... if not it just won't work.
Just wanted to update everyone. I woke up on Friday afternoon with a large swath of gray, missing vision in my right eye only. After about 2 hours, the large tail seemed to fade away, but it has left a nicely sized blind spot in that eye which seems permanent. The spot always shows the opposite color of what I'm looking at and if I have a light on and turn it off, the spot flares a bright pink for a while. If I turn a light on, it flares a bright blue.

Of course there were no doctors who would see me. This town I live in, it is useless when it comes to emergency eye care. The one office was like...well sorry. click. LOL What if I had a detached retina... Just completely unacceptable.  

I am finally getting an ERG done this Tuesday which I had scheduled over a month ago... After that I have no idea. Doctor suggested she may send me to a neuro-ophthamalogist depending on the results.
Another in the same boat as some here.  Have had weird spots appearing in my vision since I was 15. These always disappeared. Last year after a prolonged period of high stress I woke up with a weird triangle spot, however, this one never disappeared.  Managed to ignore it for a few months hoping it would get better, then when to an optometrist who sent me on to the opthamologist.  
He like most here found nothing wrong but took me seriously and put me through the ringer for tests (mri, vep etc.). Final diagnosis was suspected acute macular neuroritenitis .  
Will be keenly watching and reading this community, especially regarding amr.
God bless,
Matt
My right. Eye. Feels. Weord when looking. Right. It takes seconds. To refocus there. Is no pain or flashes does amyone know what this can be
I had a cataract removed left eye 3 months ago. Everything went fine. Last few days I am noticing that sometimes when I blink I see what looks like what you see after having a flash bulb go off, if I close my eyes I still see it but it fades within seconds. It looks like a round circular cloud but disappears as fast as it comes. I notice it more in certain types of light or after I look in the mirror/ has several bright bulbs in it. I do not see any new flashes or floaters or things that would indicate retinal detachment issues. I am wondering if this could be a type of glare from the artificial lens that my brain needs to learn to accommodate. I work all day on a computer and likely have issues from doing that. I also have dry eye syndrome. Sinus issues, anxiety and I clench my teeth.

Plan to see my ophthalmologist to see if its related to the artificial lens or if something BAD is happening. It is comforting to see that so many have some form of this issue. I also think I am focusing on it to much which makes it worse. Odd that I only see this with my eye closed, my vision itself is great and colors are beautiful. I also have a history of ocular migraine but this phenomena is different.

Wondering if any of you started seeing these things after cataract surgery. I have a mono focal lens set to near vision, don't mind wearing glasses for distance having done so for 40 years.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for listening.
Hello!
Does everubody get cure?
Im not. Ive got another blind spot (which flashing when blink) today.
Still dont know what is this. Still depressed
I Also have some un explained eye issues that come every so often, leaving a small blind spot (small usually, but annoying) I have many little ones, they usually fade over time. some don't, or do very very slowly (several years I still see them). I have been to retinal specialists and none can give me a diagnosis. they cant see any issues. I have been to 4 or 5 Retinal specialists, and a couple regular ophthalmologists over the last 8 years or so. I still have good eye sight, the blind spots are not directly in the center of my vision, although I did have one very close, but it has healed.

I am having a flair up now, seems some older spots are flairing up again..
its pretty annoying, looking at the bright computer screen, then when I look off the screen the spot fades from the bright screen white into the background.. (the after image) and when the spot falls on the edge of the computer screen it causes a blurry fuzzy spot that blends the bright and dark together. I have too many of these spots now. they do calm down in a few days. but it makes me sad to look at the sliding glass door blinds, with all the sharp lines, it allows me to see lots of the little spots that have come and gone over the years and left permanent spots. im only 31, so I need to get some decades out of these eyes. I am thankful I still have great vision, just annoying spots.

It is comforting to know there are others out there with the same thing. but not cool that none of us have figured it out. if anyone does, please post it all over the place!

-John
Ive had this problem since  I was 21 im 48 next month.Had eye tests early on got sick of the doctors asking me what I though it was. In other word they thought I was imagining it. God bless the NHS in the UK. Started out with me noticing my natural blind spot in both eyes which seemed to get larger and darker.On exertion there was a flickering  in that area.Occasionally a flash of pink /green would appear in my central vision stay for an hour of so then vanish.Have a tiny blind spot central vision which fills itself in ony noticable going from light ot dark or vice versa.Looking at the static on the tv screen you can see them fade in and out. Have floaters and uncomfortable feeling at the back of my eyes somtimes.Im sure its worse than when It first started but my brain seems to adapt and fill it all in. 27 years of this now since it first began with still no idea what causes it.
Hi Ardesal,

Have you had re occurrences since you where 21? or just that one spot?
Thanks for sharing.
-John
It wasnt really reocurances.It just came and never went away.I started noticing the natural blind spot enlarging aged about 21. Had test galore with some top eye docs they said my eyes were healthy.About 24-24 noticed the pink green spot central vision in a darkend room or when I woke up and opened my eyes for the first time in the morning.After a while if I looked or focused on a small area id notice things vanishing not a blind spot as in a dark area just things like the curser  disapearing on my pc.Some time other spot will appear then disaper after and hour or so alway like a green pink flash.Like u get if your caugh in a camera flash.Just posted my experiences to try and reaasure other people experienceing this sort of stuff for the first time and letting panic take over that thier vision wil fail in the near future.Its 27 years now my eyes are aging and I will need glasses soon but the blind spots remain as they were when they first apeared.
I keep having flair ups with my spots, sometimes new small ones. but mostly old spots, re appear to react like the camera flash after effect. When I look at the white computer screen and then move off screen, there is a white ish grey spot that stays for a few moments and then fades into the background.
and then if I hold the spot on the edge of the screen, it causes a blurry grey spot that blurs the white of the screen and the dark edge together.

woke up this morning with an old spot bothering me. Lower center of left eye, looks like 2 spots close together. these flair ups can last a day, to 3.. and then return to normal tiny spots as you describe.

Hey, a question for all of you:

Is someone out there with these scotomes, but that DOESNT SEE floaters?

The only common thing we have is a detached vitreous. As far as I've read, we all have the vitreous already detached, so we see floaters. I wonder if the vitreous may be an important cause of this 'sympthoms'.
I meant, symptoms

As you may know, the vitreous detachment  (even if it's just partially detached) cause floaters. So if you see floaters, the vitreous must be detached.
Update,
I had a larger spot in upper right vision of left eye.. finally got up the courage to go into the retinal specialist again.. this time he was able to see it.
he changed my diagnoses from possible CSCR Spots, to White Dot Syndrome. Possibly PIC.
Its funny, I never ran across "White Dot" in all my searching, and even on forums. I had heard of Bird-shot CSR which is a type of White Dot Syndrome, but the Doc said I didn't have that, my lesions are not the right size or pattern.
so its Inflammation, or Auto Immune he says.

anyone heard of this? Ive been dealing with this for a long time, and the flare ups are more frequent. not sure what I am doing or not doing that is causing it.  but if you look it up on Wikipedia, it does describe what a lot of us have going on.

-John
correction, I guess I had ran across White Dot Syndrome, it talked about in this very (long) Thread. not sure why it didn't stick in my brain.
anyway, as long as iv been without a diagnosis, it leads me to believe a lot of people on this forum who still don't have a diagnoses doesn't mean they Don't have a white dot syndrome.. I just now after 11 years have a spot large enough that they can see. it seems you can have these spots in various sizes, and depths, and the depths can be in varying layers of the retina.

I still don't know the cause, (Inflammatory, auto immune, Viral) I am leaning towards inflammatory.. we are all inflamed these days with diet and lifestyle. and news on TV that can make your eyes bleed just watching ;)
Thank you unkajah81 for sharing.
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. However, I also experience flare ups when going for walks and look at the bright blue and white sky (both temporary ones - all over the place - and the permanent ones.) So far I have two permanent spots in my left eye and one in my right eye. The first one came about 6 years ago. The others 1 year ago. Both in comb. with stressful work and many hours at the computer. But also a few days after a long and strange flu-like infection.
I hope your diagnosis is not too serious. I think I would like a new appointment at a new doctor. The latest one laughed and said " what's wrong this time then? I have been there twice with the above symptoms. He sort of said between the lines that I was a hypocondriac.
By coincidence I noticed that there may be a relation between blood sugar level and the occurrence of the temporary spots. I usually have the temp. spots daily and often in connection with exercise but also out of the blue and in connection with eating, for instance chocolate. But I have not really noticed a certaine pattern. However, for the past 10 days I have been on a low carb. diet as I wanted to go from a BMI of 22 to 21. I have not seen the spots since. Not when exercising either. Strange, and I suspect there could be a connection between stabilising the blood sugar and disappearance of the spots. PS. I am not a diabetic.
I think your observation about blood sugar is very valid. I've also noticed the spots coming on when I feel very hungry. I've not been able to control them through diet, though, but I do feel that after eating foods high in sugar, when I reach a sugar low, I get this toxic feeling inside, my skin feels hot, and then the spots come on with quite some intensity.

My hypothesis is that blood sugar makes a difference because the blood flow to the optic nerves is compromised for some reason. When these symptoms started for me, my vision changed -- it was almost as if my visual pathways were inflamed in some way, everything became brighter and more garish, sunlit white colours became unbearable to look at and whenever I would look at bright light sources I would get visual-snow-like sparkles afterwards, and this never happened before.

This makes me think that there is some constant issue with the optic nerves being either inflamed or compromised in some other way (through increased pressure within the skull? who knows) and minor blood sugar fluctuations cause temporary visual disturbances, some of which then progress to being permanent.

One thing that speaks in favour of the above is that when I have a major temporary spot, I can make it go away quickly by doing a handstand or just bending down and letting blood flow to my head. The bright green spot then becomes sort of very bright but see-through and then clears completely. Unfortunately I can't always do that (imagine doing this during a meeting) and sometimes it's too late and it doesn't seem to help right away.

Unfortunately the number of "temporary" spots that never clear up and become permanent spots is steadily progressing for me, but I remain hopeful that I will one day find the underlying factor that makes my eyes so sensitive to minor blood flow and blood sugar fluctuations and I can put a stop to this progressive vision loss.
>>I can make it go away quickly by doing a handstand or just bending down and letting blood flow to my head.

Your symptoms and description of a problem same as mine!
My temporary spots usualy easy resolve (often in 10-60 seconds) when I simply lay down. Its more effectively than bending down the head.

Last time I've got spots when I woke up. These spots was active about 2-36 hours.

My theory: if temporary spot active about 48 hours - its never gone away without permanent spot.

There's periods (up to one month) when I dont get any spots. In other time I've get 2-3 spots every day... Can't find out the reason.
>> My theory: if temporary spot active about 48 hours - its never gone away without permanent spot.

Your theory is exactly the same as mine. I'm wondering: do you remember your vision changing when your symptoms started (e.g. more light sensitive or everything being brighter)? Also, was there any dramatic event (intense illness / massive stress) that preceded the onset of these symptoms?

blaaoejet: the fact that you can reduce your symptoms by altering your diet is fantastic. Anything that puts you in control of the situation with this condition is a major victory.
Dear stargazer304

When my symptoms first started I was going through a stressful time at work. I noticed that I was very sensitive to bright light - going from dark to bright light outside. This disappeared with my stress going down. I got permanent spots during this period. And have had temporary ones almost daily ever since. It also came less than 2 weeks after a long-lasting flue-like condition.

I am curious about your theory: "spots perhaps due to increased pressure inside the skull". How does this correlate with a the disappearance when doing a handstand? I would think the pressure was increased when doing a handstand? I think it sounds more like a cause related to hypotension? When lying down, hand stand, bending down, you get increased blood flow to your head? Please clarify, perhaps I misunderstood?
Dear blaaoejet,

Of course I'm only theorising and it's probably misinformed, but here is how my thinking goes: Increased pressure inside the skull (a.k.a. intracranial hypertension) is caused by the accumulation of spinal fluid around the brain and the optic nerves, which would compress them. Now, because of this compression there would be less blood reaching the optic nerve fibres, and thus, fewer nutrients. So, blood sugar fluctuations would matter a lot more, because the optic nerve fibres are already at the borderline when it comes to getting the glucose they need. Now, doing a handstand would probably increase the intracranial pressure a bit more, but it also causes an influx of blood into the head through the major arteries, and this might tip the balance of blood reaching the optic nerves in the right direction, thus temporarily alleviating the spots.

The compression could also be due to the slight swelling of the optic nerves (inflammation/autoimmune?), perhaps in areas where it's not possible to see this easily on MRI/fundus exam.

The way I'm starting to see these spots is the optic nerve fibres "suffocating" for some reason and no longer coping with the restricted nutrient/blood supply. I think it's at the optic nerve (ON) level, rather than at the retina one, because all my spots get consistently larger as they get further away from the centre of my vision, and this matches up with the anatomy of ON -- the fibres further away from the centre encode larger areas of vision.

But these are all (very desperate!) guesses :)
Or indeed the optic nerve could be undersupplied with blood (so hypotension, as you say), for some other mysterious reason. Some breakdown in the vascular regulation process in that area... It can get so tiring with all this guessing... all this mental energy could be put to such good use elsewhere!
I see what you mean and think they are valid guesses. Somehow I think that increased intracranial pressure would be seen on a fundus exam (not an expert though)..... Hmmm - you are right - all these guesses are energy consuming. I have two examinations next week: perimetry and OCT. We will see if anything turns up.
Thank you, please keep us posted.

I'm still pondering the mind-body connection. My symptoms came on shortly after incredible amounts of unrelenting stress and anxiety that lasted for weeks, probably the most stressful experience of my entire life, and I'm wondering if my body is somehow still stuck in that freeze/flight/fight mode and the freeze part is causing all this damage to my eyes.
>>I'm wondering: do you remember your vision changing when your symptoms started (e.g. more light sensitive or everything being brighter)? Also, was there any dramatic event (intense illness / massive stress) that preceded the onset of these symptoms?

When I got first permanent spot (scotoma) I even don't  remember is there was a bright spot before or not. In one day I saw this little spot over white line at the black background. And there it started.

I dont remember before it starts any stress or vision changes.

Next spot I got after 6 months at other eye.

Btw I have low blood pressure in normal. Its about 115/70 - 110-65.

My sugar level is at the top of normal level for my age.

And I drink at least one  big cup a coffe every morning.
I just remember what I probably get poisoned before first scotoma and i got terrible flu between first scotoma and the second one.
I have some answers to those who worry about some of these symptoms. If you are concerned about a black spot in the center of your vision, in both eyes that appears in the dark, then dont panic this is normal. In the retina you have two cell groups: rods and cones, rods are located in the side vision, they detect light and movement and allow you to see in the dark. The cones are located in the center vision, they detect color and fine detail, due to their sensitive nature they do not function in the dark. the fovea witch is the center portion of the eye has no rod cells and only cones,
so the brain cannot pick up a clear image it causes a black spot. In its most basic form: you are actualy seeing the shadow of your own fovea the black spot will change in size depending on the distance your looking. Now when your blinking rapidly at a light background your witnessing the change over between night vision and daytime vision, your eyes are closed for a second so its dark, then your eyes get light and it has to switch over. Its pure and simple confusion of the cells. You will notice this spot allot when your looking for it, and anxiety will make you think its a problem. Do yourself a favor and go talk to friends/family face to face, get them in the same lighting conditions and do all the tests you do to yourself to them! they will see what you see, i have tested lots of people the same way i test myself and they all see the same as me! the best thing to do is to get yourself checked, find out your healthy and stop worrying about this symptom. If your vision drops below 20/20 then i would say there is a cause for concern but by the sounds of it most of you have good vision during the day, and when your not focusing on a blank background. Peace and health
Thanks OkamiWolf, what you are talking about makes perfect sense and I've experienced the very phenomenon you are describing. It is for the same reason that you can't see the stars well when looking at them directly at night, and can only see them clearly with your peripheral vision. However, this is not the issue we are suffering from, as you will see if you look through the entire thread.
Yea i have looked through the entire thread, and as i said "I have some answers to those who worry about some of these symptoms"
for those who have scotomas just outside of there central vision....... i dont have any answers, and for that i am sorry.
But i urge some of you who see this spot on a white screen or a blank wall, to compare these symptoms with friends and family, and what you will find is they will witness the same thing. I know this because ive been there and done that. If you have had an ERG test and its clean, then your fine.
Everyone i have spoken to sees a spot in the vision when blinking rapidly.
Some made a GIF of a fork moving up and down in front of the central vision, well it is my understanding.... its just recreating the effect of blinking. Peace and health.
Okay ive just done some tests with a friend of mine, he has no health problems, has 20/10 vision same as me and is seventeen years of age. (im much older) i got him in front of a white screen on a TV monitor, i asked him to close one eye and blink with the open eye. He saw what he described as a strange blob like spot in the center of his vision, same size in both eyes. He said "its kinda like a tea stain, where the center is almost a different shade of white compared to the peripheral" He also saw this spot upon waking in the dark a few days prior to this test.
He has the same symptom as me and everyone else i have tested, The only difference is they dont worry about it and i do (or did)
SOME of you have the same symptoms, a few of you do not, but to those that are just worried about what im describing, my advise would be to see an expert for peace of mind and relax........ by the sounds of it your just over noticing something that has been there all along and forever will be. Also for peace of mind compare your symptoms to other people whom are seemingly healthy, and that should cut down your worries.
This is my final post i just wanted to add my discoveries and to assure some of the people on here. To those who have more severe symptoms keep doing what your doing, you will find your answers one day and by the looks of it, if you are as tenacious at dealing with problems as you are finding answers, then no matter what it is.... i have confidence in the fact that you will overcome anything in your way. I wish the very best for you all, but i can safely say with ignorance some of these symptoms dont seems to bother ordinary busy people.
Goodbye all.
Thanks Okamiwolf, I believe most of us here has spots that we notice at first when blinking, but then create small distortions and blind spots when not blinking. these are not normal.

ive been having more flair ups with my spots lately. had a migraine this week, and 2 last week. and Ive only had a few in my life before this.. so I don't know why the sudden onset of Migraine. (and I do get the aura before hand)

like I said earlier, I did in December go to see a Retinal Specialist again, this time they were able to see my spots, they finally have some thing to tell me, (I also was able to see the spots on the photos of the FA) so they weren't making this up. ive only seen them 2 times so I have not worn out my welcome as some have had happen to them.

White Dot Syndrome they said. so I just visited my regular doctor (had to get one) and he is running some blood tests for Inflammation and Autoimmune (which is what the Retina Spec. said white dot syndrome is caused by, he said these eye problems are a symptom of something else going on in the body.)

I hope to find a way to calm the progression soon so I don't go blind with this stuff. I really enjoy my good vision. I pray that I keep it.
I had a flair up last night, with a couple of spots, scarier then usual. I prayed about it and they are much better, one is totally gone.
I just need Gods help to get through all of this, to get to the healthier other side.

-John

Hi blaaoejet,

Something to support your hypothesis regarding carbohydrates (an anecdotal experience, but it matches with vascular deregulation / blood sugar control):

http://bit.ly/1eVleVp

Short URL because MedHelp doesn't allow clickable links.
Thanks Stargazer 304!
Unfortunately, I was not able to see it all properly - I'll have a look later again.

If it really is true that avoiding a high carbohydrate diet, red meat and alcohol can keep the spots away, it could indicate an inflammation of some kind (as also mentioned by unkajah81 in his last post). Like people who have arthritis (e.g. psoriasis and reumatoid a.) who can control the inflammation by avoiding this kind of food.

When this is said, I also have a feeling that artificial hormones (contraception) could be a cause. I wonder how many of the women with these spots were taking the pill or similar at the time of the occurrence of permanent spots. I was myself. I have had a lot of the temporary ones when I was not, though.  Just a lot of additional thoughts!!!.......
Probably alcohol helps me. Three times in last year long-life spots (which stays more then 3 hours) dissapears in 4-36 hours after I'm drinks...
May be its just coincidence.
I see we are all still trying to figure this out, without any help whatsoever from any kind of "medical professional".

No profit in it, Im guessing.

Anyway, now I cant remember if its been mentioned before, but when I have an eye attack, and the spots look like they are the bad ones with little changes over the course of an hour or so, Im sure to take some diazepam prescribed to me by my psychiatrist. Doing this seems to stop whatever reaction or mechanism that is in the process of permanently destroying tissue and robbing me of vision, and the process reverses and vision is restored.

This is the only thing that Ive found that actually works with consistency. I wanted to put it out there as further information for us to work with.

Other things that Ive found more or less successful at different times, though not consistently successful:

Motrin, and lots of it.
Valerian root, which is a mild anxiolytic, and also a vasodilator Ive personally noticed.
Passion flower, which is a stronger anxiolytic, but not on par with benzodiazepines (diazepam).
A LOT of movement, getting the blood flowing forcefully.
When its happening in the morning after not eating for a while, eating something very light, such as a single egg can stop the attack.

If only doctors who actually cared where more than 1 in a 1000, Im sure this issue, with all our individual data given to them, could be solved quite quickly.
Hey everyone. Nice to see some of you on here again, but I am very sorry we are all still dealing with this.

@stargazer  
You wrote:
"When these symptoms started for me, my vision changed -- it was almost as if my visual pathways were inflamed in some way, everything became brighter and more garish, sunlit white colours became unbearable to look at and whenever I would look at bright light sources I would get visual-snow-like sparkles afterwards, and this never happened before."

Yes this is what I noticed right away too and I still have a lot of trouble outside. In fact if it's really bright outside I start to see this pulsating darkness show up that resonates. Keeping my eyes closed and getting away from all light is the only thing that makes it go away.

Here's a general update from me...
I have many many more blind spots now. I'd say my right eye is now worse than my left, but I've stopped tracking them and have lost count. In March I wrote about how I would get blue flashes when turning a light on in a dark room, but they were not blind spots. All of those spots are now blind spots that block out light and words, fingers etc. Thankfully though my center vision is still spared and most of them are further out, so it does not affect reading or writing. Phew!!. I stopped going to the retina specialists because I saw no point in it. She was a very helpful lady though and I am grateful that she didn't just label me as crazy. My OCT and ERG were normal. I was scheduled to get a mERG but the blue lights during the ERG actually gave me a blind spot, so I decided to pass.

For me the pin point and spark type lights are constantly happening and they are annoying, but I have tried to ignore them. Some times though I get different looking ones that are larger and closer to the center vision. On a computer screen they look bluish or gray, but if I am looking at a blue page, they will be orange. If I am looking at a red page, they will be green etc etc. These spots still scare me at times because I never know if it's going to be a new permanent spot.

The longer I am standing the higher the risk for creating more blind spots. Exercise isn't even an option for me because I would definitely have blind spots.. .The lights and spots in my eyes are now my gauge to hit the deck (sit down or lie down now) or I will have more spots!!   My spots do not get better when forcing blood to my head. I actually think it makes them worse. Last night I tried it out and yes it does not work and makes more show up.

I have begun to get migraines with aura averaging about 1 every 3 months. These started happening almost exactly a year ago on Feb 19 2013, but my first blind spot was in Oct 2012. So I'm not sure exactly they are related or not. The migraines w/auras are extremely hard on my body, mind and eyes. They seem to do permanent damage, but I do not get the typical headache with those for some reason. I have horrible migraines w/o aura at least once a week and other headaches in between. I have never had this many headaches in my life. I believe that I have other things going on, but figured I'd list it all. I have small attacks of migraine sensory symptoms that do seem to make my visual symptoms much much worse.

@OkamiWolf...
I know that you believe you are being helpful. Suggesting that we are just paying attention to a normal eye thing can be a very touchy subject for folks who are suffering with symptoms that doctors cannot figure out. So when a person comes on here and gives subtle jabs and comments as you did, I hope you understand that your concern is not taken as real concern. It sounds instead the exact opposite and it won't be well received. I don't think that you are talking about the same thing as what we are talking about on here. Even the temporary spots we get are not what you are suggesting. I can't make myself see the dark spots by blinking. If they are there, then I see them when blinking, but if they aren't there then no amount of blinking even in the right lighting condition you suggest will causes them.

"some of these symptoms dont seems to bother ordinary busy people."

Do you see how you subtly attacked all of us in this line?  We are ordinary people too and we aren't just making this up in our heads nor do we need to find peace or need to get busy. Your post further pushes the wrong idea that we are simply making it all up in our heads or focusing on something that everyone sees. I'm sorry but you are totally wrong.

Unfortunately having a clean ERG does not mean we are fine... I think everyone here has had a normal ERG including those of us with the permanent blind spots.
Hi everyone!
Do you got any small permanent blind spots without antecedent bright spot in this place?

I mean it's just happens - you detect blind spot and it's don't change and there is not bright spot when you close your eyes.

In 2013 I had several attacks with bright spot which stays more than a hour. (I've got short-time bright spots several per week - they are resolve quickly).

Long-time spots stays from several hours to couple days. They are bright when eyes is closed and dark when looking at the white wall. I called them "classic" - you all have stories like that. It was 5-7 times per year. And all was gone without permanent spot except one.

But in that time I detect a 4-5 little permanent blind spots at one eye. They are extremly close to center of vision so I see them in normal life. It's really annoying and scaring...
Your desciption of symptoms are exactly how I experience my spots...
Just returned from another round of examinations at the hospital (dep. of specialists of the retina). Conclusion: nothing that can be revealed objectively. They acknowledge that this is not the same as nothing is wrong with the retina however, the potential damage is so small that it can not be detected and does not have a serious impact on vision (which of course is positive). They think my symptoms may be the result of a viral infection and think that a lot of people have these symptoms without taking further notice/ are not good at describing it/ do not go to the doctor. They want to see me in 6 months again to make sure it has not got a lot worse.

This was an update. No surprises in any direction.
Yes, i've heard virus theory. But how can the virus causes spots which disappers in a minutes?
I've had 4 full examinations. The docs saw some destruction changes on retina but they don't know what's the reason of it.
Anyway  I planning make a new examination this spring. Another doctor. Who knows. I'm will tell you results.
Personally I think it is vascular.

I woke up a few days ago with a new blind spot in my left eye. It is not real dense yet, but this is how they start for me. It starts off as an area where it looks dimmer than usual and then it will become denser blocking out light.... In the days prior to this, I wasn't having any unusual lights in the area btw! This one is closer to center vision, but still not close enough to affect driving or seeing people's faces. Thank goodness... I've lost track of how many spots are in my eyes now. Interestingly many of the blind spots I have now are symmetrical in my eyes, but they didn't start out that way and don't form at the same time either.
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is my first post, and I just want to thank you all for being so public about your issues, it has really helped me understand that 'I'm not the only one' and that many doctors (including mine) are not able to figure out or really see what is happening in my eyes.

To start: I am a 26 yr old caucasian male in generally good shape, no other issues to speak of, regular doctors visits, and no headaches (never had scintillating scotomas). I feel I am having some of the same issues as many of you are describing, and would like to bring you up to speed on my journey so far (for comfort, research or whatever), although I have no solution either yet.

I've created an image to show what has gone on in my eyes over the past year, both scotoma-wise and floater-wise, and you can find it at this link (note: I've used an Amsler Grid for my own reference, scale is going to be off depending on computer screens. Also the black dots represent the gray-opaque/whatever-the-color-behind-is scotomas), keep reading for more description:

http://i.imgur.com/D2NxoEu.png

Early last year I discovered my first 'floater' in my right eye, which over the past year has led to more and more discoveries of all sort of floaters, mostly harmless, but progressing. It wasn't until December, 2013 that I encountered my first 'active' scotoma in my left eye - it is the biggest and most permanent feature in my view. I noticed it one morning when I was blinking away some stadium lights (camera-flash blind spots) and this one never went away, and for the most part it stayed in this camera-flash like 'active' phase for many days before settling down to become a non-active scotoma (can't say negative because it's not a dark hole, just that opaque glass look), consistently showing itself in any sharply contrasting situation (venetian blinds, edge of computer screen etc). I got scared as hell and went right to the ophthalmologist (10-15 times now), which of course resulted in nothing (even after, many, many basic tests including visual fields, special slit lamps, OCT's etc.) and gave me more anxiety when I was being asked about the scarier diseases that might have some relation.

I have since had many other episodes of 'active'-phase scotomas in different shapes around both eyes as shown in the link, some fading to nothing within 30 minutes, some fading to a non-active scotoma for a few days before leaving. The original has never faded, and there are some smaller ones that seem to have popped up overnight and are permanent also (no active phase while awake). More recently, some of the older ones which were once active, but disappeared, have returned for a few days without an active phase or warning of any kind, and I am yet to figure out what causes them. Around this same period, I was also experiencing very short 'active' spots, lasting less than a second but very obvious in vision (like a bright but small sparkly patch in front of everything).

Small 'sparks' or flashes of light are common, as well as those incredible blue dots that last less than a second, but are very blatant. In the dark, sometimes I am able to see what looks like very tiny 'active' spots or lines all over the place (maybe 1-10 at a time) but generally go away within half a second.

I have had one of Boston Lahey's experts have a look and chat with me: he found nothing to see, but from my descriptions he was ruling out most of the items discussed in this thread, including AMN which he has seen a few times. Bird-Shot, White Dot etc. ruled out also. Since they don't know, and we don't know, it's still an open question.

I have taken Advil many times before, but no correlation as of yet. The lying down or doing a headstand (getting blood up to the head) is something I do every time this happens, although for me this does not resolve the scotomas immediately, but may be helping (still not 100%). This, at least in my unprofessional opinion, seems to be somewhat related to the vascular system. Other thoughts on it would be that with my floaters and slow (and early) vitreous detachment, maybe the gel is pulling off of the retina a little hard in some areas, causing a small bleed - this would account for the circular floaters and potentially the small patches of 'active' scotomas.

I wish there was a Kickstarter-like website where we could group together and announce an unknown medical problem, all put forward what we could afford ($50, $100, $1000, $5000 etc.) and crowd-fund the project in hopes that a university or research lab would take it on, use our information and/or test with us. This would not only be crowd funded by us, but would allow that research group to formulate a diagnosis for the world and even a cure (and make money for whoever)! Instead there are just a few message boards, and probably a whole lot of lurkers (like I was until now), scared as hell because nothing is known or even being followed up on this.

There's soo much more detail I could go into, but I hope this helps at least someone feel better, I'm sure there's a lot more of us out there!

I feel like I'm funding the whole ophthalmologist industry at the moment...
Hello and welcome to the "cant_find_a_reason" club.
>>consistently showing itself in any sharply contrasting situation (venetian blinds, edge of computer screen etc)
Yes - I think we all here got spots like yours.
Many of us have this problem thru years. Mine is about 3.5 yrs from first spot.
>>Small 'sparks' or flashes of light are common, as well as those incredible blue dots that last less than a second, but are very blatant.
Yes, sometimes I see blue dots when blinking in diffrent parts of visual field.

Probably it's vascular - because most of spots resolve quickly in a minutes.

Also I noticed a relation of a poor digestion and the appearing of new spots. May be it's just coincidence.

If there some real  help possibilities in a kickstarter - I'm in.
Hello, I've been lurking this thread for the past week so I thought I'd sign up and post, seeing as my bright spot hasn't gone away.

I've had the problem of bright spots for as long as I can remember (I'm currently 16) but usually they all fade within a day and they didn't particularly bother me, with the longer ones taking maybe a few days. The problem is, this time the bright spot seems to be permanent because I've had it for 2 weeks now, which is annoying because it's actually quite big and noticeable. It looks like a line in the bottom right corner of my right eye, and I can always see it with background contrasts and when I blink it shows up as a white line. If I just look at a plain white background it shows up as a grey line for a few seconds and then fades into the background until I blink again.

I've been to the eye clinic at the hospital but they just checked my retinas and told me that they look fine and that it's probably floaters, which I'm certain it's not, because I have floaters and I know what they look like and it's just not the same thing at all. I can't really be bothered going to the hospital again because, reading through this thread, it's doubtful they'll find anything and they don't seem to understand what's going on any better than we do. So, at the moment, I'm just hoping I'll wake up one day and it's gone, although as each day passes my hope is starting to fade. I am also shortsighted, but other than that my eyes are quite normal. I hope one day we will find what's going on because it's frustrating when no one seems to understand your symptoms.
Oh and I also have tinnitus, which I had an MRI scan for recently and they found nothing. Thought I'd add that as some people have also mentioned tinnitus in this thread.
Hello All,
Ive posted here before, you can look back and see my list of symptoms, much like most here. in one of my last posts, the doctors FINALLY after years of dealing with no one ever being able to see anything, saw one of my spots.
he said it is some kind of "white dot" which means they don't know what it is, but its something inflammatory. my eye spots had been flaring up more then ever before, making me worry more then ever.. the Retinal specilist said usually with white dot syndromes, there is another underlying issue.
at the time I didn't think colon issues would be related. until I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (I am a 32 yr old male, have been having the eye issues for 10+ years)

the GI doc said the condition is caused by inflammation in the colon. and they dont know a "cure" except for meds they give, which just fight against the body's inflammation response.

so at this point I had a blood test, that did show elevated levels of general inflammation in my body.  over the last 4 months, I cut WAY back on Alcohol (I was having a drink in the evening) I stopped coffee for awhile..  and nether of those things changed much. then I cut back on wheat, and cut out most dairy.. and like magic, my Colitis seems to almost go away, and my constant Eye Flareups stopped. my newer spots started to heal. I have spots from Years back that I don't expect to go away any time soon. but my very first spots have faded quite a bit.

the last few weeks ive been traveling, and my diet has not been as consistent, and my colitis has flared up a little bit, and I am noticing my eye spots bothering me a little bit. so It further confirms they are related.

Folks, everyone's body deals with Inflammation in a different way, and I think ours include Eyes.. Doctors are Horrible at dealing with Inflammation, and it really has to be dealt with via Diet. the only way (Typical) MD's know how is to use drugs to fight against your body. can actually make things worse because your body will fight against the meds..

my current advise for what its worth, if you are really having an issue, and you really want something to try, it would be to go on an Low Inflammation Diet. many people have access to Natureopaths, or Dietitians. but give it a few weeks. it cant hurt right?

I have a good friend who had MS, he was going to end up in a wheelchair.. unable to move. his was bad, and it was getting worse. he had a D.O. who wanted him to try to eat vegetarian. my friend was not friendly to those ideas.. he was a supporter of Science and chemistry to fix problems.. but Science and Chemistry had not been able to fix him. so he tried it. and his symptoms Stopped. his Neurologist said he was crazy. and it would come back. he stayed vegetarian, stopped all meds, felt better.. and 6 years MS free still. his nerves have healed. he walks normal now.. and lives a healthy life. for some reason he has to live vegetarian in order for his body to deal with the normal level of toxins in the environment and food we eat. he does have a bite of steak or chicken to taste the goodness out of respect for the host if he is attending dinner at a friends house..  anyway forgive the spelling errors and bad grammar as I am typing this quickly.

I wanted to share what I am going through right now, it gives me hope to find that these eye problems can be responses to inflammation.

Be Well
-John

Viewing 601-624 comments: