Eye Care Community
For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Viewing 601-665 comments:
I see what you mean and think they are valid guesses. Somehow I think that increased intracranial pressure would be seen on a fundus exam (not an expert though)..... Hmmm - you are right - all these guesses are energy consuming. I have two examinations next week: perimetry and OCT. We will see if anything turns up.
Thank you, please keep us posted.

I'm still pondering the mind-body connection. My symptoms came on shortly after incredible amounts of unrelenting stress and anxiety that lasted for weeks, probably the most stressful experience of my entire life, and I'm wondering if my body is somehow still stuck in that freeze/flight/fight mode and the freeze part is causing all this damage to my eyes.
>>I'm wondering: do you remember your vision changing when your symptoms started (e.g. more light sensitive or everything being brighter)? Also, was there any dramatic event (intense illness / massive stress) that preceded the onset of these symptoms?

When I got first permanent spot (scotoma) I even don't  remember is there was a bright spot before or not. In one day I saw this little spot over white line at the black background. And there it started.

I dont remember before it starts any stress or vision changes.

Next spot I got after 6 months at other eye.

Btw I have low blood pressure in normal. Its about 115/70 - 110-65.

My sugar level is at the top of normal level for my age.

And I drink at least one  big cup a coffe every morning.
I just remember what I probably get poisoned before first scotoma and i got terrible flu between first scotoma and the second one.
I have some answers to those who worry about some of these symptoms. If you are concerned about a black spot in the center of your vision, in both eyes that appears in the dark, then dont panic this is normal. In the retina you have two cell groups: rods and cones, rods are located in the side vision, they detect light and movement and allow you to see in the dark. The cones are located in the center vision, they detect color and fine detail, due to their sensitive nature they do not function in the dark. the fovea witch is the center portion of the eye has no rod cells and only cones,
so the brain cannot pick up a clear image it causes a black spot. In its most basic form: you are actualy seeing the shadow of your own fovea the black spot will change in size depending on the distance your looking. Now when your blinking rapidly at a light background your witnessing the change over between night vision and daytime vision, your eyes are closed for a second so its dark, then your eyes get light and it has to switch over. Its pure and simple confusion of the cells. You will notice this spot allot when your looking for it, and anxiety will make you think its a problem. Do yourself a favor and go talk to friends/family face to face, get them in the same lighting conditions and do all the tests you do to yourself to them! they will see what you see, i have tested lots of people the same way i test myself and they all see the same as me! the best thing to do is to get yourself checked, find out your healthy and stop worrying about this symptom. If your vision drops below 20/20 then i would say there is a cause for concern but by the sounds of it most of you have good vision during the day, and when your not focusing on a blank background. Peace and health
Thanks OkamiWolf, what you are talking about makes perfect sense and I've experienced the very phenomenon you are describing. It is for the same reason that you can't see the stars well when looking at them directly at night, and can only see them clearly with your peripheral vision. However, this is not the issue we are suffering from, as you will see if you look through the entire thread.
Yea i have looked through the entire thread, and as i said "I have some answers to those who worry about some of these symptoms"
for those who have scotomas just outside of there central vision....... i dont have any answers, and for that i am sorry.
But i urge some of you who see this spot on a white screen or a blank wall, to compare these symptoms with friends and family, and what you will find is they will witness the same thing. I know this because ive been there and done that. If you have had an ERG test and its clean, then your fine.
Everyone i have spoken to sees a spot in the vision when blinking rapidly.
Some made a GIF of a fork moving up and down in front of the central vision, well it is my understanding.... its just recreating the effect of blinking. Peace and health.
Okay ive just done some tests with a friend of mine, he has no health problems, has 20/10 vision same as me and is seventeen years of age. (im much older) i got him in front of a white screen on a TV monitor, i asked him to close one eye and blink with the open eye. He saw what he described as a strange blob like spot in the center of his vision, same size in both eyes. He said "its kinda like a tea stain, where the center is almost a different shade of white compared to the peripheral" He also saw this spot upon waking in the dark a few days prior to this test.
He has the same symptom as me and everyone else i have tested, The only difference is they dont worry about it and i do (or did)
SOME of you have the same symptoms, a few of you do not, but to those that are just worried about what im describing, my advise would be to see an expert for peace of mind and relax........ by the sounds of it your just over noticing something that has been there all along and forever will be. Also for peace of mind compare your symptoms to other people whom are seemingly healthy, and that should cut down your worries.
This is my final post i just wanted to add my discoveries and to assure some of the people on here. To those who have more severe symptoms keep doing what your doing, you will find your answers one day and by the looks of it, if you are as tenacious at dealing with problems as you are finding answers, then no matter what it is.... i have confidence in the fact that you will overcome anything in your way. I wish the very best for you all, but i can safely say with ignorance some of these symptoms dont seems to bother ordinary busy people.
Goodbye all.
Thanks Okamiwolf, I believe most of us here has spots that we notice at first when blinking, but then create small distortions and blind spots when not blinking. these are not normal.

ive been having more flair ups with my spots lately. had a migraine this week, and 2 last week. and Ive only had a few in my life before this.. so I don't know why the sudden onset of Migraine. (and I do get the aura before hand)

like I said earlier, I did in December go to see a Retinal Specialist again, this time they were able to see my spots, they finally have some thing to tell me, (I also was able to see the spots on the photos of the FA) so they weren't making this up. ive only seen them 2 times so I have not worn out my welcome as some have had happen to them.

White Dot Syndrome they said. so I just visited my regular doctor (had to get one) and he is running some blood tests for Inflammation and Autoimmune (which is what the Retina Spec. said white dot syndrome is caused by, he said these eye problems are a symptom of something else going on in the body.)

I hope to find a way to calm the progression soon so I don't go blind with this stuff. I really enjoy my good vision. I pray that I keep it.
I had a flair up last night, with a couple of spots, scarier then usual. I prayed about it and they are much better, one is totally gone.
I just need Gods help to get through all of this, to get to the healthier other side.

-John

Hi blaaoejet,

Something to support your hypothesis regarding carbohydrates (an anecdotal experience, but it matches with vascular deregulation / blood sugar control):

http://bit.ly/1eVleVp

Short URL because MedHelp doesn't allow clickable links.
Thanks Stargazer 304!
Unfortunately, I was not able to see it all properly - I'll have a look later again.

If it really is true that avoiding a high carbohydrate diet, red meat and alcohol can keep the spots away, it could indicate an inflammation of some kind (as also mentioned by unkajah81 in his last post). Like people who have arthritis (e.g. psoriasis and reumatoid a.) who can control the inflammation by avoiding this kind of food.

When this is said, I also have a feeling that artificial hormones (contraception) could be a cause. I wonder how many of the women with these spots were taking the pill or similar at the time of the occurrence of permanent spots. I was myself. I have had a lot of the temporary ones when I was not, though.  Just a lot of additional thoughts!!!.......
Probably alcohol helps me. Three times in last year long-life spots (which stays more then 3 hours) dissapears in 4-36 hours after I'm drinks...
May be its just coincidence.
I see we are all still trying to figure this out, without any help whatsoever from any kind of "medical professional".

No profit in it, Im guessing.

Anyway, now I cant remember if its been mentioned before, but when I have an eye attack, and the spots look like they are the bad ones with little changes over the course of an hour or so, Im sure to take some diazepam prescribed to me by my psychiatrist. Doing this seems to stop whatever reaction or mechanism that is in the process of permanently destroying tissue and robbing me of vision, and the process reverses and vision is restored.

This is the only thing that Ive found that actually works with consistency. I wanted to put it out there as further information for us to work with.

Other things that Ive found more or less successful at different times, though not consistently successful:

Motrin, and lots of it.
Valerian root, which is a mild anxiolytic, and also a vasodilator Ive personally noticed.
Passion flower, which is a stronger anxiolytic, but not on par with benzodiazepines (diazepam).
A LOT of movement, getting the blood flowing forcefully.
When its happening in the morning after not eating for a while, eating something very light, such as a single egg can stop the attack.

If only doctors who actually cared where more than 1 in a 1000, Im sure this issue, with all our individual data given to them, could be solved quite quickly.
Hey everyone. Nice to see some of you on here again, but I am very sorry we are all still dealing with this.

@stargazer  
You wrote:
"When these symptoms started for me, my vision changed -- it was almost as if my visual pathways were inflamed in some way, everything became brighter and more garish, sunlit white colours became unbearable to look at and whenever I would look at bright light sources I would get visual-snow-like sparkles afterwards, and this never happened before."

Yes this is what I noticed right away too and I still have a lot of trouble outside. In fact if it's really bright outside I start to see this pulsating darkness show up that resonates. Keeping my eyes closed and getting away from all light is the only thing that makes it go away.

Here's a general update from me...
I have many many more blind spots now. I'd say my right eye is now worse than my left, but I've stopped tracking them and have lost count. In March I wrote about how I would get blue flashes when turning a light on in a dark room, but they were not blind spots. All of those spots are now blind spots that block out light and words, fingers etc. Thankfully though my center vision is still spared and most of them are further out, so it does not affect reading or writing. Phew!!. I stopped going to the retina specialists because I saw no point in it. She was a very helpful lady though and I am grateful that she didn't just label me as crazy. My OCT and ERG were normal. I was scheduled to get a mERG but the blue lights during the ERG actually gave me a blind spot, so I decided to pass.

For me the pin point and spark type lights are constantly happening and they are annoying, but I have tried to ignore them. Some times though I get different looking ones that are larger and closer to the center vision. On a computer screen they look bluish or gray, but if I am looking at a blue page, they will be orange. If I am looking at a red page, they will be green etc etc. These spots still scare me at times because I never know if it's going to be a new permanent spot.

The longer I am standing the higher the risk for creating more blind spots. Exercise isn't even an option for me because I would definitely have blind spots.. .The lights and spots in my eyes are now my gauge to hit the deck (sit down or lie down now) or I will have more spots!!   My spots do not get better when forcing blood to my head. I actually think it makes them worse. Last night I tried it out and yes it does not work and makes more show up.

I have begun to get migraines with aura averaging about 1 every 3 months. These started happening almost exactly a year ago on Feb 19 2013, but my first blind spot was in Oct 2012. So I'm not sure exactly they are related or not. The migraines w/auras are extremely hard on my body, mind and eyes. They seem to do permanent damage, but I do not get the typical headache with those for some reason. I have horrible migraines w/o aura at least once a week and other headaches in between. I have never had this many headaches in my life. I believe that I have other things going on, but figured I'd list it all. I have small attacks of migraine sensory symptoms that do seem to make my visual symptoms much much worse.

@OkamiWolf...
I know that you believe you are being helpful. Suggesting that we are just paying attention to a normal eye thing can be a very touchy subject for folks who are suffering with symptoms that doctors cannot figure out. So when a person comes on here and gives subtle jabs and comments as you did, I hope you understand that your concern is not taken as real concern. It sounds instead the exact opposite and it won't be well received. I don't think that you are talking about the same thing as what we are talking about on here. Even the temporary spots we get are not what you are suggesting. I can't make myself see the dark spots by blinking. If they are there, then I see them when blinking, but if they aren't there then no amount of blinking even in the right lighting condition you suggest will causes them.

"some of these symptoms dont seems to bother ordinary busy people."

Do you see how you subtly attacked all of us in this line?  We are ordinary people too and we aren't just making this up in our heads nor do we need to find peace or need to get busy. Your post further pushes the wrong idea that we are simply making it all up in our heads or focusing on something that everyone sees. I'm sorry but you are totally wrong.

Unfortunately having a clean ERG does not mean we are fine... I think everyone here has had a normal ERG including those of us with the permanent blind spots.
Hi everyone!
Do you got any small permanent blind spots without antecedent bright spot in this place?

I mean it's just happens - you detect blind spot and it's don't change and there is not bright spot when you close your eyes.

In 2013 I had several attacks with bright spot which stays more than a hour. (I've got short-time bright spots several per week - they are resolve quickly).

Long-time spots stays from several hours to couple days. They are bright when eyes is closed and dark when looking at the white wall. I called them "classic" - you all have stories like that. It was 5-7 times per year. And all was gone without permanent spot except one.

But in that time I detect a 4-5 little permanent blind spots at one eye. They are extremly close to center of vision so I see them in normal life. It's really annoying and scaring...
Your desciption of symptoms are exactly how I experience my spots...
Just returned from another round of examinations at the hospital (dep. of specialists of the retina). Conclusion: nothing that can be revealed objectively. They acknowledge that this is not the same as nothing is wrong with the retina however, the potential damage is so small that it can not be detected and does not have a serious impact on vision (which of course is positive). They think my symptoms may be the result of a viral infection and think that a lot of people have these symptoms without taking further notice/ are not good at describing it/ do not go to the doctor. They want to see me in 6 months again to make sure it has not got a lot worse.

This was an update. No surprises in any direction.
Yes, i've heard virus theory. But how can the virus causes spots which disappers in a minutes?
I've had 4 full examinations. The docs saw some destruction changes on retina but they don't know what's the reason of it.
Anyway  I planning make a new examination this spring. Another doctor. Who knows. I'm will tell you results.
Personally I think it is vascular.

I woke up a few days ago with a new blind spot in my left eye. It is not real dense yet, but this is how they start for me. It starts off as an area where it looks dimmer than usual and then it will become denser blocking out light.... In the days prior to this, I wasn't having any unusual lights in the area btw! This one is closer to center vision, but still not close enough to affect driving or seeing people's faces. Thank goodness... I've lost track of how many spots are in my eyes now. Interestingly many of the blind spots I have now are symmetrical in my eyes, but they didn't start out that way and don't form at the same time either.
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is my first post, and I just want to thank you all for being so public about your issues, it has really helped me understand that 'I'm not the only one' and that many doctors (including mine) are not able to figure out or really see what is happening in my eyes.

To start: I am a 26 yr old caucasian male in generally good shape, no other issues to speak of, regular doctors visits, and no headaches (never had scintillating scotomas). I feel I am having some of the same issues as many of you are describing, and would like to bring you up to speed on my journey so far (for comfort, research or whatever), although I have no solution either yet.

I've created an image to show what has gone on in my eyes over the past year, both scotoma-wise and floater-wise, and you can find it at this link (note: I've used an Amsler Grid for my own reference, scale is going to be off depending on computer screens. Also the black dots represent the gray-opaque/whatever-the-color-behind-is scotomas), keep reading for more description:

http://i.imgur.com/D2NxoEu.png

Early last year I discovered my first 'floater' in my right eye, which over the past year has led to more and more discoveries of all sort of floaters, mostly harmless, but progressing. It wasn't until December, 2013 that I encountered my first 'active' scotoma in my left eye - it is the biggest and most permanent feature in my view. I noticed it one morning when I was blinking away some stadium lights (camera-flash blind spots) and this one never went away, and for the most part it stayed in this camera-flash like 'active' phase for many days before settling down to become a non-active scotoma (can't say negative because it's not a dark hole, just that opaque glass look), consistently showing itself in any sharply contrasting situation (venetian blinds, edge of computer screen etc). I got scared as hell and went right to the ophthalmologist (10-15 times now), which of course resulted in nothing (even after, many, many basic tests including visual fields, special slit lamps, OCT's etc.) and gave me more anxiety when I was being asked about the scarier diseases that might have some relation.

I have since had many other episodes of 'active'-phase scotomas in different shapes around both eyes as shown in the link, some fading to nothing within 30 minutes, some fading to a non-active scotoma for a few days before leaving. The original has never faded, and there are some smaller ones that seem to have popped up overnight and are permanent also (no active phase while awake). More recently, some of the older ones which were once active, but disappeared, have returned for a few days without an active phase or warning of any kind, and I am yet to figure out what causes them. Around this same period, I was also experiencing very short 'active' spots, lasting less than a second but very obvious in vision (like a bright but small sparkly patch in front of everything).

Small 'sparks' or flashes of light are common, as well as those incredible blue dots that last less than a second, but are very blatant. In the dark, sometimes I am able to see what looks like very tiny 'active' spots or lines all over the place (maybe 1-10 at a time) but generally go away within half a second.

I have had one of Boston Lahey's experts have a look and chat with me: he found nothing to see, but from my descriptions he was ruling out most of the items discussed in this thread, including AMN which he has seen a few times. Bird-Shot, White Dot etc. ruled out also. Since they don't know, and we don't know, it's still an open question.

I have taken Advil many times before, but no correlation as of yet. The lying down or doing a headstand (getting blood up to the head) is something I do every time this happens, although for me this does not resolve the scotomas immediately, but may be helping (still not 100%). This, at least in my unprofessional opinion, seems to be somewhat related to the vascular system. Other thoughts on it would be that with my floaters and slow (and early) vitreous detachment, maybe the gel is pulling off of the retina a little hard in some areas, causing a small bleed - this would account for the circular floaters and potentially the small patches of 'active' scotomas.

I wish there was a Kickstarter-like website where we could group together and announce an unknown medical problem, all put forward what we could afford ($50, $100, $1000, $5000 etc.) and crowd-fund the project in hopes that a university or research lab would take it on, use our information and/or test with us. This would not only be crowd funded by us, but would allow that research group to formulate a diagnosis for the world and even a cure (and make money for whoever)! Instead there are just a few message boards, and probably a whole lot of lurkers (like I was until now), scared as hell because nothing is known or even being followed up on this.

There's soo much more detail I could go into, but I hope this helps at least someone feel better, I'm sure there's a lot more of us out there!

I feel like I'm funding the whole ophthalmologist industry at the moment...
Hello and welcome to the "cant_find_a_reason" club.
>>consistently showing itself in any sharply contrasting situation (venetian blinds, edge of computer screen etc)
Yes - I think we all here got spots like yours.
Many of us have this problem thru years. Mine is about 3.5 yrs from first spot.
>>Small 'sparks' or flashes of light are common, as well as those incredible blue dots that last less than a second, but are very blatant.
Yes, sometimes I see blue dots when blinking in diffrent parts of visual field.

Probably it's vascular - because most of spots resolve quickly in a minutes.

Also I noticed a relation of a poor digestion and the appearing of new spots. May be it's just coincidence.

If there some real  help possibilities in a kickstarter - I'm in.
Hello, I've been lurking this thread for the past week so I thought I'd sign up and post, seeing as my bright spot hasn't gone away.

I've had the problem of bright spots for as long as I can remember (I'm currently 16) but usually they all fade within a day and they didn't particularly bother me, with the longer ones taking maybe a few days. The problem is, this time the bright spot seems to be permanent because I've had it for 2 weeks now, which is annoying because it's actually quite big and noticeable. It looks like a line in the bottom right corner of my right eye, and I can always see it with background contrasts and when I blink it shows up as a white line. If I just look at a plain white background it shows up as a grey line for a few seconds and then fades into the background until I blink again.

I've been to the eye clinic at the hospital but they just checked my retinas and told me that they look fine and that it's probably floaters, which I'm certain it's not, because I have floaters and I know what they look like and it's just not the same thing at all. I can't really be bothered going to the hospital again because, reading through this thread, it's doubtful they'll find anything and they don't seem to understand what's going on any better than we do. So, at the moment, I'm just hoping I'll wake up one day and it's gone, although as each day passes my hope is starting to fade. I am also shortsighted, but other than that my eyes are quite normal. I hope one day we will find what's going on because it's frustrating when no one seems to understand your symptoms.
Oh and I also have tinnitus, which I had an MRI scan for recently and they found nothing. Thought I'd add that as some people have also mentioned tinnitus in this thread.
Hello All,
Ive posted here before, you can look back and see my list of symptoms, much like most here. in one of my last posts, the doctors FINALLY after years of dealing with no one ever being able to see anything, saw one of my spots.
he said it is some kind of "white dot" which means they don't know what it is, but its something inflammatory. my eye spots had been flaring up more then ever before, making me worry more then ever.. the Retinal specilist said usually with white dot syndromes, there is another underlying issue.
at the time I didn't think colon issues would be related. until I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (I am a 32 yr old male, have been having the eye issues for 10+ years)

the GI doc said the condition is caused by inflammation in the colon. and they dont know a "cure" except for meds they give, which just fight against the body's inflammation response.

so at this point I had a blood test, that did show elevated levels of general inflammation in my body.  over the last 4 months, I cut WAY back on Alcohol (I was having a drink in the evening) I stopped coffee for awhile..  and nether of those things changed much. then I cut back on wheat, and cut out most dairy.. and like magic, my Colitis seems to almost go away, and my constant Eye Flareups stopped. my newer spots started to heal. I have spots from Years back that I don't expect to go away any time soon. but my very first spots have faded quite a bit.

the last few weeks ive been traveling, and my diet has not been as consistent, and my colitis has flared up a little bit, and I am noticing my eye spots bothering me a little bit. so It further confirms they are related.

Folks, everyone's body deals with Inflammation in a different way, and I think ours include Eyes.. Doctors are Horrible at dealing with Inflammation, and it really has to be dealt with via Diet. the only way (Typical) MD's know how is to use drugs to fight against your body. can actually make things worse because your body will fight against the meds..

my current advise for what its worth, if you are really having an issue, and you really want something to try, it would be to go on an Low Inflammation Diet. many people have access to Natureopaths, or Dietitians. but give it a few weeks. it cant hurt right?

I have a good friend who had MS, he was going to end up in a wheelchair.. unable to move. his was bad, and it was getting worse. he had a D.O. who wanted him to try to eat vegetarian. my friend was not friendly to those ideas.. he was a supporter of Science and chemistry to fix problems.. but Science and Chemistry had not been able to fix him. so he tried it. and his symptoms Stopped. his Neurologist said he was crazy. and it would come back. he stayed vegetarian, stopped all meds, felt better.. and 6 years MS free still. his nerves have healed. he walks normal now.. and lives a healthy life. for some reason he has to live vegetarian in order for his body to deal with the normal level of toxins in the environment and food we eat. he does have a bite of steak or chicken to taste the goodness out of respect for the host if he is attending dinner at a friends house..  anyway forgive the spelling errors and bad grammar as I am typing this quickly.

I wanted to share what I am going through right now, it gives me hope to find that these eye problems can be responses to inflammation.

Be Well
-John

W
Oh sorry for the weird post, dont know what happened.... Anyway I just wanted to say how happy I am to find this thread... I've read it ALL in the past few days... I haven't come across any other people with similiar symptoms like me before!!! I got my first spot when I was only 11 years old.... During a stomach flu (vomiting, fever etc). I then continued to get permanent spots every now and then while sick with the flu or a cold. When I was 14 I went to the doctor but they couldn't find anything wrong with my eyes! They didn't do alot of testing, mostly looking into my eyes while dialated pupils.... Since then I haven't gotten any spots whatsoever (even though alot of stress, anxiety/depression, drinking and smoking pot, bad diet). Last week I was really tired and felt like I was getting sick (feverish and tired) and I got a new flashing spot. At first I didn't think much of it, but when it didn't go away the next day even though I didn't feel sick anymore, all my fear came back. I have a daughter and a husband now, I dont drink or smoke anymore and I eat better than the previous years when I didn't get any spots. I fear öike most of you, that I'm going blind. I fear that I wont be able to see my daughter grow up, I fear to get more of these spots and in my central vision (so far they have only occured around my my center vision so they dont bother me when reading etc). They have faded through the years, and I barely notice my old spots. But they are there. My new one is brighter than the rest so obviously it's bugging me at the moment. I am waiting for an apointment to a doctor to check my eyes again like when I was 14. But I am so devastated by this, I cant eat, sleep, think... I'm obsessing with checking for new spots (I get tiny temporary spots every now and then for thr past week), I cry alot and just can't think of any future for me. If I go blind I don't see the point in living. I'm only 20 years old and I have so much left of my life..... I don't know what to do.... Nobody understand me. I know they wont find anything on the tests but seriously... If I continue to get these spots I AM going to go blind some day... And I never know how many or when I'm gonna get them. Maybe it will take years, maybe months or maybe HOURS until my next spot, and so on... I don't know how to accept this "disease" or whatever it is... I don't know how to live in the now and enjoy my life while I still can... I just feel like my life is over and I will never feel happy again.
i have had the same problem . Doctors suggested me for  MRI scan but report  was absolutely normal. finally problem was diagnosed with the retinal detachment i got relief by medicines some exercises. some webssite support me a lot to understand and my problem you also get help for know your problem. sorry for the not to provide exact solution for your problem .
Visit W3Schools.
---------------------------------------

thanks
retinal detachment .
I had the same fears and feelings too. Exactly.
mine started when I was 19, and now I am 32 and I still have great vision.
some spots that never go away like yours, but they did fade a lot, I dont notice most of them most of the time. I have a flair up if I let my diet get out of control and cause inflammation levels to rise.. but as long as I keep things going well I don't have issues. unfortunately EYE Doctors and MD's will only prescribe anti - inflammatory meds  to you, and most of the time they wont do that because they don't realize its a response to inflammation unless you look up White Dot Syndrome which is what we have forms of. but since our spots are so small, they cant tell for sure, but srsly, thats what we have. small white blood cell filled lesions in the pigment layer of our retinas. we see them as spots.

Do tvheanti-inflammatory medicin help? What food are really bad? My diet was really bad 3 years ago, for the past two it's been better yet I got a new spot last week.
Have you gotten any more spots since you first got them? I mean you said they've faded (as mine) but now I just got a new one again :( I have about 5-6 on my left eye and 2 on my right. I can live with these spots but I fear of getting more!  Until it gets so bad its affecting my vision really bad or even going blind. And I can't know if or when I'm gonna get them or where in my vision or how big/small. I'm so scared, It felt so good not to think about this for these past four years and now all my fear is back. .. I'm gonna break down mentally from all of this...
And now I googled the white dot syndrome and I'm scared of the diffuse unilateral subacute neuroretinitis... Just the thoughg of having worms in my eyes is freaking me out :( but I don't understand alot of it so... Could it be what I have?!!! Or are my symptoms progressing too slowly for it to be dusn? Oh my god :( i live in sweden and have no idea what its called in swedish so how do I ask my doctor about all of this? I haven't git any apointment yet, it could take months to get an apointment.
I really regret reading that.... I wont be able to sleep :( please someone answer... I dont understand that much of the symptoms etc I dont have sny vision loss just these spots that Ive described.....
Remember, most of those you can rule out because you have seen doctor, and they didn't see anything. I also was worried about stuff like that, including Birdshot CSR, I asked my doc and he said no, if you had those he would be able to see because the lesions are much larger. yeah I can still get a new spot. I didn't get a new spot for a long time, then started again. that's how I knew it was something Im doing, stress, diet, exercise, something. everyone seems to be on this anti Dairy and Wheat kick. so I decided to try cutting that out of my diet, and for the most part, new spots calmed down again. and my eyes started to heal again.
kind of odd.

Yeah I realise that now, I was just having real bad anxiety that evening. I just don't know, I dont see sny connection with my spots. During my most unhealthy years I had no spots whatsoever.... I only know I've gotten my spots when having the flu, a cold or similiar. Not everytime though. And this last spot I got when I wasn't even really sick, I only felt a bit tited and feverish that evening.... It seems to have calmed down now, the spot is slowly fading but its still kind of bright and more noticeable than those I have from the past, but thats kind of to excpect I guess. I just really have a hard time looking at the future in a bright way, I feel really depressed and devastated, how do one accept something you can't control or even have te slightlest clue of the possible outcome. I don't know how I managed in the past, but I know I should be happy, it could have been worse. And the spots maybe will never affect my vision that much but I can't be sure either, I never know when or how many I will get, how fast or how slow. How do you accept this syndrome?! I truly feel like my life is over, but it isn't! I should be happy I still have great vision and that I still can do all thing I want to, and it doesn't matter how sad and depressed I feel, how mich I DONT want to have this or the amount of tears I shed wont change anything or make the situation any sifferent. It wont cure me. So why can't I just let it go snd accept it for what it is, accept that this is something I cant change or control and just move on, instead I waste my days worrying for what can be but doesnt have to happen. I dont know what to do.
do you spend a lot of your time at PC? A lot it means over 6 hrs dayly.
Why? I dont spend any time on the pc anymore, rarely... But I'm reading and using my phone alot.
I truly understand your worry. I have 3-4 permanent spots that have appeared over the last 7 years, I guess. Temporary ones still appear - EVERY DAY. Particularly bright ones in the center of my vision when doing physical activity. The permanent ones are dark and just outside the central vision. I have had lots and lots of examinations. Everything normal. I am puzzled ....... I helped me thinking about the fact that everyone here still have a good eye sight even though it has gone on for years. One person even said 30 years - or maybe that was another thread I read. I think this is what you should focus on. Also the fact that most of the eye doctors say that these symptoms do not sound alarming - but probably more the conseqpuence of a virus infection and being very alert to small changes to your body.
Uhh :( this truuuyly *****. I'm really glad to at least not feel so lonely about this. But I'm terrified. Life is going good for me now.... Me and my husband got an own apartment, I got applied to the school I've wanted and I got a job. It's been stressfull two years and now finally things are coming together and BAM, a spot appears. Now I can't be happy cause my mind is set on that in the future I will be blind... When I don't think about my spots, they don't bother me. Now I am so focused on my vision I see EVERY little change... It makes my heart jump all the time cause I's so afraid of new spots. Even the temporary ones seem to come more often than before (or I just notice them more now? I don't know it's been 4 years since I went through this). Often when I don't eat properly. I've started taking extra vitamins and coenzym 10. I am tired ALL THE TIME, and my anxiety levels are high. I don't know if I'm seriously ill or if I'm going mental. I just feel so, so, SO scared of the future.

To me it doesnt make sense how these spors CAN'T be detected or diagnosed? I mean IF someone were to get blind or got seriously affected vision by this... But nah, their eyes are "healthy"?! I mean what the f***?
One minute I am like, no I wont go blind, its gonna be ok. And even if I do turn blind life doesn't end. Next minute I am panicking and I feel like omg I am gonna turn blind.

I just don't know, my appointment is in AUGUST... Its three months... I feel I am going to end up at the mental instution soon :(

I truly admire you all that deal with this... I don't seem to do so well at all.
Also, does your spots change size? Like, if you look at something far away they are bigger than if looking at, for an example, the screen in front of you? Mine are smaller the closer the object is to my eyes... So weird. Also, my old spots are bot like a flash anymore, I can see through them (they ate more like darker shadows now) but its like distorted somehow, and blinking/glistering im their place. The new spot is like from a flash still and not faded/see through. Hard to explain.... But I haven't heard anyone say this.

My biggest fear is for this to go by undiagnosed once again, or that it is somethin uncureable. I dont know how to deal with this, how do you folks do? Any advice? :(
How long your last spot is "active" (shine when you close your eyes)?
Mine last one is active a month! Older spots fades in week or two and left the small scotoma.
Anyway here is nobody gets the answer about this strange ill.
Probably nobody gets blind or somthing.
But I can't get used to appearing new spots.

Almost all my hard spots (which turns to permanent) gets in the morning when I woke up...
Yeah! The thing is that more appear, if they were to stop now I wouldn't mind my current spots!

Hmm, I don't know how long they are active... My new one is still slightly active but not like in the beginning. It's been 3 weeks now I think.

I have gotten mine whenever but my older spots all appeared during fever and some kind of flu. And they appeared both in the morning, through the day and in the evening. I don't remember it all too well since I was only 11 when this started... My new spot disn't appear during a flu I had fallen asleep while putting my daughter to sleep, woke up and felt like I was going to get sick (but I didn't) and it just appeared. Now I notice alot of small Spots when I am hungry or in tve evening when my eyes are tired...

I hope one doesn't get blund but it could affect the vision! I mean I never know how big or small or where in my visual field the spot will appear :(
Today I woke up with another large gray swath of vision missing, but this time in my left peripheral. I knew something was wrong before I got up today. I had a horrible stiff neck and headache at the base of my skull. The last time I had this same exact type of vision loss (June 21, 2013), the tail on the gray area dissipated but the denser gray area became a new blind spot that I still have today. But so far today, the "tail" on the blind spot has not gone away yet and is quite distracting.

Interestingly enough, I've had a horrible sore mouth the last few days and it's from an outbreak of canker sores on my tongue. Maybe it's just a coincidence though.

Here's what I'm seeing in my lower left peripheral vision...
http://imageshack.com/a/img843/8509/hzoa3.jpg

I guess we'll see what happens on Monday. I may just call Walmart and have the Dr there dilate my eyes and take a look. I haven't had an exam for about a year at this point!
I forgot to mention that this past week, I've been having deja vu too. I'm probably leading up to a migraine with aura...
How did it go at the doctor? Was it yesterday?
I decided against going...haha I didn't see the point and I've been feeling so sick in other areas. The tail part of the blind spot did go away as I suspected and it's left the blueish,gray strangely contrasted area behind. In the center is a small scotoma and along the outside, the area is distorted and makes things look smaller than normal. This is certainly the largest spot I have now.

I did not get a migraine yet though and no more deja vu. I was watching a video today and I got a sudden influx of spots rapidly come in my vision. This is normal for me and I had a negative EEG, so I have no idea what is going on anymore. I guess I feel like everyone else who has just given up.
I'm not getting that many small temporary spots anymore, but the old and the new one are still there. I'm at least not crying all the time anymore... I'm eating more than before and more frequently so my blood sugar doesn't drop (then I get these tiny spots too). I also try to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night, when I'm tired these spots occur too. I also take extra vitamins and coenzym 10 every day... I feel overall better even though I have had headaches almost daily the past two weeks, mostly behind my eyes. But I don't think it has anything with my spots to do since I haven't gotten neither temporary or permanent spots during headaches. Ibuprofen help alot, when I got my newest I had alot of temporary ones come and go during the dats, but they lessened when I took ibuprofen... Weird.

I got an apointment 10th august but last monday I went to a private clinic and got an appointment now on Sunday. I am nervous about it, I will ask for every possible exam to be done! Not just the "standard" one like last time... I'll see what goes down then... Until then I'm just trying to take day by day and avoid to look for spots all the time in fear of new permanent ones. Busy days are the best since then I don't notice them at all.... I also did a correction of my atlas.... Sceptical but my mom insisted. Well... I hope things are going well for you all.
Finally after suffering for 9 days with sensory symptoms and feeling like a lunatic, I got a migraine w/o aura last night around 7PM.  I'm just glad to be done with it even though the pain was horrific and I am still getting pains when I change positions or bend over.

Too bad the new blind spot did not go away once I had the migraine.
Could it be a sign of reactive hypoglycemia (non-diabetic)? This would explain the vision changes but is not visible objectively. Further it explains why a low refined sugar diet (keeps the blood sugar steady) helps. It Can also explain why it (like in my case) appears temporarily during exercise. And also why some permanent spots appeared during very stressful times when the body uses a lot of energy. I think it is worth trying to keep a steady blood sugar and being well hydrated and see if this helps......
It could also explain why some people experience the symptoms more when they have infections (changed metabolism), and that spots are there when you wake up......
In addition it Can also explain why some have flare ups when eating for instance chocolate and caffeine:

" Many people find improvement by changing eating patterns (smaller meals, avoiding excessive sugar, mixed meals rather than carbohydrates by themselves), reducing intake of stimulants such as caffeine, or by making lifestyle changes to reduce stress. "

"immediately raising the blood sugar to normal through the ingestion of carbohydrates is not optimal for reactive hypoglycemia, where rapid carbohydrate ingestion may lead to a further hypoglycemic episode."
When I write reactive hypoglycemia it could be that idiopathic postprandial syndrom (syndrome) is actually a better term....
But shouldn't the doctors be able to notice hypoglycemia ? ... At my last doctors apointment he did take a glucose test, and I hadn't eaten breakfast or anything that morning but my test was normal. I have had it done loads of times before, always been normal...

The doctor I went to this monday basically told me it was a type of floaters (like I havent heard that one before...), so when I asked him arent floaters supposed to be see-through or moving/floating and not bright like from a camera flash. He told me no, they can be permanent and take any form/colour/shape/etc and the eye "gets used" to it so over time they fade somewhat. He also told me I will most probably get more of them but it's not something you get blind by but they can be annoying and disturb you vision.

So... Yeah.. Wtf. I don't know what to believe anymore. I will still go see the other doctor in august and talk to her about it. I dont want to go through another pointless check up (having dialated pupils is horrible)...
Well, ok Idiopathic postprandial syndrome, that could be.
But in my case that doesnt make sense either. During my most stressfull years and with a horrid diet I didnt get any spots at all. Now when things are going fine for a change a new spot appears.... No. This thing doesnt make any sense to me AT ALL. My mind just turns to mush trying to figure any of it out, and I just start to freak out about it.
Idiopathic postprandial syndrome is characterised by a normal blood sugar level. Hold on and I Will send you a link
It does make a lot of sense to me. And I guess the body can change during the years as this is all a hormone thing....
Hello, Im from Portugal and found this fórum online as i suffer from the same symtoms (symptoms) as you guys.

My blind spots started last November 2013 after 2 events afecting my only good eye. First a simple trauma like a little  stone entering my eye, and 2 ou 3 weeks after na event like the vision got all blurr but the center, and started to go back as it was, but left me with the first noticeable scotomas.
As the most of you, i went to several doctors, who havent been able to came up with a diagnostic, the only thing showing is some failure on the visual peremetry ( enlarged blind spot and the first scotoma on the upper left side ), retina, optic nerve are all ok.
I am mapping my scotomas, and i feel im getting new small ones, not on my focus, but in my periferal vision, they are small, but as i only see through one eye( left) it makes easier for me to notice them.Looking at parallel lines is the worst as i notice them more clearly.

yesterday i went to another doctor, after several exams, she called a coleague to discuss my case, and they talked like it could be AZOOR but i do not have all symptoms.
What i experience, besides the scotomas is:
-some pain on my eyes, like orbital or something but not everyday
-little bright spots at night before sleep coming and going
-during the day, sometimes i stare at something, and it seems like around me, little things are moving, like temporary scotomas (?)

As with all of you im freaking out because no one seems to give me a diagnostic, and hopefully the cure, or at least stabilize it.
Sorry my bad english. cheers.
Yeah, but as it started when I was 11, and then a pause between 16-20 when I suffered from panic attacks and alot of anxiety and eating disorder, but no new spots appeared... I can't say it makes sense to me :( it seems to be pretty random...
Even going through a pregnancy and giving birth, no spots. Before my newest spot the only connection I saw was some infection (ex. the flu, a cold etc) but not this time... It just appeared out of the blue. So that doesn't make sense either. The body is a weird thing, really. It's scary that no doctor can diagnose it... It would be nice to know what it is, what it will lead up to or if there is a cure or something... It's truly like living in oblivion, never know what to expect from day to day, the future is even scarier to think of... It's really bringing me down. And even if there were a connection, one could try and avoid getting new spots. My spots never flare up, I eat alot of chocolate and coffee sometimes. My newest spot is still pretty obvious.

Though, I did notice two spots beside my original ones, they act differently and I barely notice them, they aren't bright or anything, they are just plain, if I look at the sky then on a darker surface I see where they are but they don't flash. Ugh, hard to explain but I don't recall having them or even getting them... Weird.

I avoid experementing and giving my spots too mich attention, cause then my anxiety rises and I freak out and I notice all kinds of weird stuff and then freak out even more. For now, I am just happy that my vision is still as good as it is, and pray that I wont turn blind in the near future (or ever...). Taking day by day seems like a good thing to do.
Hi, i'm not sure if this post is still active??

I am a 33 year old female and have been experiencing what I describe as the after effects of a camera flash in my eyes since I was 16. It can occur in either eye, although it is more common in my left eye. It looks like a large black blob in my peripheral vision (if I was to look at a clock, the blob would be positioned between the number 2 & 3) It comes and goes but when I have it, it lasts anything from a few days to a few weeks. It is more noticable when I look at a blank background, when I blink and when something passes in front of my feild of vision. I am a type 1 diabetic with a degree of retinopathy that has not reqiured treatment. I have seen a number of opthamologists over the years and they have all told me that despite the retinopathy, my eyes are in very good shape and nothing is visable on the slit light exam. I have been told that I have Posterior Vitreous Detatchment, but all the research and information on this states that it occurs in older people and like I said, I have experienced this since the age of 16!
Has anyone else experienced symptoms like these? and have any of you had any formal diagnosis?
Like most of the other people on here I am just experiencing my first spot lasting longer than an hour or a few minutes.

Mine so far has lasted a week and a half, HOWEVER I took an Aleve after reading that the problem may be from inflammation and my symptoms drastically improved!!!

I highly suggest that if you are experiencing a spot lasting longer than a day to try taking an anti-inflammatory. This gives me hope that #1 the spot may heal and that #@ if it doesn't completely heal it can be DRASTICALLY reduced with a low inflammation diet.
So a quick update, I am continuing to experience the spot but basically only when I am at the computer or in a dimly lit room. It is not noticeable outside, or in a dark room.

After giving myself a self administered visual field test I do believe that the spot is a very small blind spot or scotoma. But it is so small it is really difficult to tell, if it were a scotoma would I be seeing a spot it with my eyes closed? Because I don't, I also can't see a dark spot on a bright sky for instance, I really only notice this when I blink. Is this a scotoma or something else?
I am back!!! ;) I woke up today (aug 24) with another large swath of grayish vision. The top part again appears to be a new blind spot and the tail on it will likely disappear in 1-2 days or so. When I put my hand through the area, my hand loses color and appears a grayish blue tint. Then as I move it out of the affected areas normal colors return to my hand.

I have absolutely no idea what causes this. I woke up kind of late today around 1PM and it is now 3AM and the spot and tail is still there. That most certainly rules out a migraine aura.

All I can do is pray that God will heal me because medical science has zero answers for me.

I hope everyone is doing well and had a nice summer. Take care!
I have the same eye issue.  Started a little over a year ago.  Ophthalmologist says everything looks great.  He gave me an OCT and everything.  I thought it may be Central Serous Retinopathy, but he said they would see that.  I had an MRI too which looked great.  I think it may be a virus or something that settles in the retina.  I wish someone would figure it out!
Viewing 601-665 comments: