For those with the bright spot when blinking symptom
There are several of us on here who have a similar eye complaint: seeing a bright flash, like the afterimage of a flash bulb, when we blink, and sometimes, on upgaze. This is  transient symptom for most of us, lasting anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. When the "spot" in our visual field passes over a dark background, the spot appears light. When the spot passes over a light background, it appears dark.

So far, the doctors haven't been able to diagnose us, and perhaps that means it is simply some idiopathic phenomenon. But, in any case, I'm wondering what other similarities we might all have that could bring us closer to a an explanation.

For instance, other factors about me which might be clues are:

I take 100 mg of Zoloft a day
I would describe myself as high-anxiety and stress
I clench my teeth, usually on the same side as the effected eye
I have alot of sinus problems around my eyes
I have double vision due to a weak muscle in one eye
I have many floaters and one very prominent one in the eye without the bright spot

How about you?
I have a few questions for you..You say you have had these spots for 10 years...are they the same ones in the exact same spot..never once disappearing?

And have you ever seen flashing lights in the middle of them?

Like I said earlier, mine seem to fade as TMJ seems to be more relaxed...but it has never went away 100%. More or less, sometimes the colors are more dull than other times within the spot.

One thing I forgot to add earlier is that when this spot is "on" big time, I also see after images big time...like I can look at my husband across the table, then look away and I can see the outline of his head/shoulders. I can also see yellowish looking cobweb images in my vision (I am assuming blood vessels) when the spot is real apparent or my jaw really hurts. The worse the spot is, the blurrier my vision, too.
Thank you for your reply. I have had several assessments like we all seem to...seems I have drusen on my macula. Very scary for me as I understand that drusen are always present in macular degeneration, but do not always mean MD will develop! I am still hoping that I am in the latter category! I have also been told that I had a PVD (or two over time), though they couldn't be seen and some kind of detachment or blister between pigment layers. Has anyone else been told about any of this???
I can only find evidence of glaucoma in my family history, though tests were not sophisticated when our older family members were alive so who really knows? I have been taking AREDS vitalux for a long time despite the stomach pain and nausea as well as lots of extra lutein. Lots of ibuprophen and sudafed as well in hopes of holding off migraine!!
Has anything worked for you?? Do you use a splint for the TMJ?...which I also have!!!
I see those spots occasionally.  I can't relate it to a specific incident, but almost always in some high lux environment.     They dont last as long as described here, perhaps 10-15 minutes.    I can pretty much recreate the incident as well, if ie I catch a bad reflection from the sun WO my 2% noir medical sunglasses (this will stress my retina for a looong time..or a camera flash).     I have autoimmune retinopathy for the record (which gives me extreme light sensitivity).  Most these symptoms are retinal, no doubt (didnt read entire threat but...atleast the major issue).  If you see it when you close your eyes its pretty certain.
Hi Belgaer
The spots never resolve, although they become less noticeable. Unless I'm looking at an amsler grid, or horizontal blinds, the edge of the computer screen etc etc, in which case they are VERY obvious. Occasionally, they return to their originally state. My largest one returned June 28 and is still present.

I have been told my maculas are healthy. I haven't been diagnosed with TMJ but I do have pain in the jaw, and I clench and grind.I have migraine with aura.

I have also been taken an AREDS vitamin for a few years.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Melinda
Hi there.
Have a look at my answer above. I've never seen flashing lights in the middle of them, but when they first appear or turn back "on" (good description, btw) they are VERY bright and I can see them wherever I look (they change from bright white to dark grey, depending on background).
Do you have migraine with aura in addition to the TMJ. Also, do you notice any connection with changes in the weather. Are they more likely to occur on overcast days etc.
Can you see them on am amsler grid?
If you have any other questions, please contact me.
Melinda
I have healthy retina too according to "doctors".  Doesn't mean squat.
Being told your eyes are healthy is still something to be very grateful for, despite these vision anomalies. At least it means that the most usual and sometimes worst concerns can be put to rest even while you struggle with what you've got. I've been told that there are some issues seen by the doctor, which just adds to my anxiety! Hang in there and take comfort from these real-life stories.
Hey- got your e-mail. :)

I can see my one spot on the amsler grid. ya know, I was talking to my husband about this thread and I had an "aha" moment. You know, we could very well all be on here looking for the cause of headaches. While we each can have one, the reason why we have it is for different reasons. It's the same thing with these spots...there are people on this thread that have been diagnosed with MS, migraines, and retinal conditions...I don't think that every person on here that experiences these has the same condition.

Yes, I do have migraines, but not with aura..they are silent, but I know when I get one..I start seeing flashes of pinpoint light here and there that are different colors..I will see after images..and I feel what I refer to as a 'build up" of pressure in my head and my teeth start to pound..I will also get nauseated and then it goes away in seconds.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that my aunt (maternal) has migraines and she had a gray spot that lasted a year. It even comes back in the same place, same size, etc when she gets one. Mine has now been here for two years/2 months never changing size or shape. It sparkles in it. Because I can't leave a link on here...got to wikipedia.com and search for "scinitllating scotoma". There is a visual of one with a beach background...but there are two scotomas shown. I only have one and that is the best described I have ever seen. The scotoma shown is black and white which resembles the flashing lights within the scotoma. I just read on the same page that"

"In general, the prognosis for retinal migraine is similar to that of migraine headache with typical aura. As the true incidence of retinal migraine is unknown, it is uncertain whether there is a higher incidence of permanent neuroretinal injury. The visual field data suggests that there is a higher incidence of end arteriolar distribution infarction and a higher incidence of permanent visual field defects in retinal migraine than in clinically manifest cerebral infarctions in migraine with aura.[6] One study suggests that more than half of reported recurrent cases of Retinal Migraine subsequently experienced permanent visual loss in that eye from infarcts. [7] An infarction in the retina, however, is usually apparent to the patient"

I believe it is probable that we all have experienced some sort of permanent damage to the retina or blood vessels within.
Hi again
Actually, it sounds like you DO have migraine with aura (the aura is all the weird stuff apart form the headache, ie the scintillating scotoma).
I am almost certain this is some form of retinal migraine. I am in contact with several people (not on this thread) who have the exact same manifestation as me, and they all have migraine with aura as well.
All have have had very extensive workups with neuro-opthalmologists and nothing clincial has been found. I do, however, believe that with each new spot, damage to the blood vessels is being done and that this damage is permanent and cumulative.
I am probably going to have another fluoroscein angiogram shortly and will be interested to whether any damage to the blood vessels is now evident.
Will keep you updated.
Melinda

For some reason I always assumed that an aura was that thing that people experience where it starts out as some small spot then gradually gets bigger (and you can't see out of it) until it finally moves away out of your vision...and that is has like a million colors inside of it etc. So basically having an aura means anything visual related that happens?

Like I said before I just see random dots here and there..not all at once..like maybe one every 5 seconds......You want to know something that is *REALLY* weird? Right before I get a silent migraine where I feel my head has pressure and there is a like a pounding pulse I feel in my teeth, then I get nauseated?....well, I get this really weird feeling in my throat like I want to cough..it actually itches somewhat. Now how in the *world* does that happen? My aunt calls it part of my "pre migraine aura". STRANGE! Why in the world would I get that right before the migraine?

Like you, I feel that this one spot I have is permanent and will never go away. I have been a hypochondriac for a long time and ironically, I have not pursued this one gray spot I have except for visiting three diff. optometrists who all say it is migraine related. Maybe part of me is scared, maybe part of me rests in the fact that my mother, maternal aunt, and maternal uncle all have histories of migraine.
What you're describing in your first par is a classic scintillating scotoma, which is the most common manifestation of a migraine aura. But an aura can also include sensory, motor and verbal symptoms. For example, as well as the scintillating scotoma, I also have problems with speech, where I can't formulate words properly; extreme sensitivity to sound and smell, where everything is magnified to the point of extreme unpleasantness; pins and needles in my throat. I also become confused and disoriented. Usully the very first sign of an impending migraine for me is, oddly, a rushing sense of euphora, like a high. Sometimes this is followed by the typical migraine headache, other times not.

Your teeth/throat symptoms are probably sensory manifestations. it's truly a bizarre condition and really not a lot is known about it at the moment.

If I were you, I'd consider getting a really good workup with a retina specialist or neuro-opth. Optometrists aren't medical doctors and in my experience miss a lot of the bigger picture as a result.
Belgaer: + all

Not everything can be seen by them.   But they blantantly deny the fact you are having a problem if they cannot see i (especially in immune type disorders).  If its a disturbance in the visual cycle, in many cases they may not see anything, nor anything show on the tests they perform (erg, etc..)  My eyesight certainly isnt healthy, and generally other symptoms follow, but those get silently ignored.   Ive had 0 success via conventional doctors, and so far probably 80% success via alternative and natural methods.  Do yourselves a great favor, and seek help from a naturopathic practitioner. Eyesight is a horrible thing to waste...
Too true! Thank you for the naturopathic suggestion...just might "look" into that!
Hi All,

I found this forum while looking for answers to my symptoms. I have a little spot that in not quite in the center of my vision in my right eye. I see it when looking at a light background like a computer screen, sky, etc. I see it best when I blink or squint. I have this before but they usually go away after a couple of days. This one has been around for 4 days so far and no sign of it going away. I was thinking of getting it checked but I'm fairly certain my eye doctor thinks I'm nuts. I hate having lights shone into my eyes, you know when they use the magnifying glass and light, to look into your eyes. The thought of having my pupils diliated really makes me anxious. I, like most, have lots of floaters. Every eye examine I've had alwasy comes back as perfect, no problems. I've had 20/20 vision my whole life, last year I had to get glasses to while working on the computer (I'm 47) due to eye strain. I used to get migraines with aura and have had the aura without migraine on occasion but not for many years. Sounds like we all have to learn to live with it.......suggestions?
Hi all,

For me this is turning into a blind spot, (scotoma) :(. I'll go check for glaucoma again.

How to check if this is a blind spot or not: a visual field, or empirically, go to blinktextmaker *******, enter letter "A", cover the eye with no problem, and overlap the bright spot with the blinking letter. Are you seeing it?
It has been a big help finding this forum and fellow sufferers. Here is my story:

I started having occular migraines around 8-10 years ago. The first time it happened I had no clue what was happening and so went to the eye hospital where they diagnosed the migraines (I get no pain with them at all. Just the usual sparkly area that spreads across the eye)

But soon after they started I also started getting small blind spots - just like having looked at a lightbulb or similar. These would typically last anything from a minute to several minutes.

Following on from that I had a couple of occurences of small blind spots which had last a couple of days. When one first occurred went to the eye hospital. I have a lazy right eye and so my left eye - which is the eye presenting the symptoms, is the only good eye I have. Because of that maybe I worry more than I should, I don't know.

But last year I had a small blind spot last for just over a week. I again went to the eye hospital as the doctor had specifically told me to return if symptoms ever appeared and refused to go away.

I was treated like an idiot when I got there though. This was the Manchester Royal Infirmary in the U.K

The nurse who booked me in actually sat and asked me why I had been visiting there for what I think was the 3rd or 4th time - over a period of almost 10 years I might add! I tried explaining that I only had one good eye and when blind spots appear then I think I have a right to be concerned. She then argued with me that I had been more time than that and why did I keep going back.

After some probing from her (which was annoying and made me feel stupid) it transpired I had forgotten about a couple of times I had visited prior to the ten years when I worked in the auto industry and had had things in my eye - totally unrelated to this, but which shouldn't matter anyway.

I have since now got another small spot just to the left of my centre of vision. It appeared this last Sunday morning and seems to have stayed constant. I now don't know how long to wait to see if it fades like the others have fortunately done so far.

Because I only have the one good eye it is extremely noticeable and I find myself constantly blinking to see if it is going away.

I hate that I have been put in a position by medical professionals to feel like I shouldn't be going and wasting their time with this.

The last time I went, after them being so rude, I was sent home with an appt to see the doctor a few days later. By which time it had almost faded completely. The doctor was very nice and did a thorough examination, but then kicked me in the teeth by suggesting I was seeing a floater - even after my very careful decription to her and explaining that I do see my floaters and know the difference,

I'm now stuck wondering if I should wait a couple more days and then go see my optician, who I have to pay for, just so that I have the "back up" when I go to the eye hospital of saying that I least I went to see my optician first. My optician who sadly is also kind of dismissive of this phenomenon. It's a sad state of affairs when I can find this website with 10 mins of googling, yet a hospital and an optician seem to know almost nothing at all about it - yet here in one small corner of the internet are plenty of people with the same symptoms, and are just the ones who took the time to seek out more help.
I've had bright spots for the last 4 years having just passed 40, some quite large (never symetrical) appearing at random in either eye, and visible when looking at a bright background and blinking, or waving my hand across my field of vision.

After reading all these comments I believe not all are experiencing the same symptoms, but like many I also have the following side issues...

1- Near Sighted
2 - Loads of floaters
3- Tense/Anxious/Easily stressed
4- Suffer from back/neck pain, often wake with a stiff neck, and headache in the back of my head (never suffered from any migraine symptoms)

Although I don't grind my teeth I do bite my nails, which I guess is similar.

I have had two eye exams in the last year, both ok, my pressures were high, but on the right side of high, as I do get 'White Coat Syndrome' my eye doctor put it down to anxiety!

Because of this I suspect that the bright spots may well be precursors of glaucoma, I have learn recently that a cousin (although 20yrs older) has been diagnosed with glaucoma, and that my grandmother was taken to hospital in the 50's with what sounds like similar symptoms (bright flash), (she died way back in the 70's before such things were readily diagnosed).

I hope I'm wrong on the above, and would hate to worry anybody, but I just have this hunch.

One further question do any of you fellow suffers also suffer from dry eye syndrome?

I think the worst thing someone could say is that seeing a bright flashing spot is a precursor to glaucoma. First of all, we may be experiencing the same symptoms, but it is definitely not because we all have glaucoma. Many people on here (as yourself has stated) experience anxiousness and stress. Suggesting the possibility of glaucoma was not a smart thing to do.

Millions of people have headaches...does that mean they all have brain tumors?
PS-

TMJ is comparable to nail biting?

Hilarious.
Was a consensus ever reached about a brain related issue causing bright spots in only one eye?