Eye Care Expert Forum
Rt eye has only a partial blink

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Rt eye has only a partial blink

I have been trying to figure out why my right eye only blinks part way.  I also do not blink very often and have to blink consciously. Has anyone had this problem and was there a reason for this happening or a way to help it out?
I am female and 56 years old.
Thanks for any help.
Tags: blink, eyes, HAS, help, problem, not, Eye, partially
You would need to see an Eye MD oculoplastic surgeon for an exact reason. Find one near you at www.aao.org     Some causes: ptosis or week eyelid, Bell's Palsy, previous eyelid surgery, injury, stroke, myasthenia gravis,   "flutter blinking" (weak blink)

JCH MD
I was told it was bell's palsy. Never had the classic symptom of BP though. My MRI was normal. I have a bad neck and shoulder (same side) and I am thinking there is a correlation between the neck and the muscles of the lid. The neuro told me definitely NO but physical therapists and muscle workers say it can be.  I have been to all kinds of doctors even the one you mentioned above.  They talk to me and tell me bell's or facial palsy.  I am at a loss that no one has a reason for this. I guess I just have to contend with having an eye that will not blink all the way.  They tell me well least it isn't a tumor! Ok... it is not a tumor... but WHY??? and is there something I can do besides drops and trying to learn to blink consciously. Oh and I was told to get a gold weight but the oculoplastic surgeon said No....
I think all your options have been layed out for you. You don't want to have surgery make it worse.

JCH MD
Neither of my eyelids close completely, even when I sleep. The biggest
problem it causes is dry eyes. I was left with the impression it's part of my genetic makeup. If it doesn't bother you, it may be good to just acccept it. They have some good drops out there now.
If they say it is genetic makeup does others in your family have the problem? No one else in my family has this problem. I am living with it as no one can explain why but it is a pain to remember to blink.  I use drops. I just do not like it and hate to talk to people face to face especially if I forget to forcible blink.  I have had people comment about it. Like my son says.. it is freaky...
-
my daughter has a scar in her left eye through flu which she was told of yhe hospital only 14 y what can she do to fix it