Eye Care Expert Forum
Sinus, orbital fracture

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Sinus, orbital fracture
I had an accident about 6 months ago and got multiple fractures. One begins at the orbital rim around the lefort II line and ends behind the last upper tooth and the other is about 15 mm beside that on the rim. The bone between the fractures is sunken and has been misaligned and is partly behind the nasal bone. The orbital floor is also sunken and the eye is about 3 mm down and 2-3 mm enophthalmos. I have latent strabismus inward on the eye and occational double vision, more when tired. The eye is constant strained and got pain around it and the sinus aswell as headache. I guess the eye would move a bit sideways also when the orbital floor is sunken. I got a CT scan and the doctor said it looks like there is no muscle entrapment.

Would the strabismus resolve if the eye position would be restored or is it a permanent damage to eyemuscles?
What could be done with surgery and what kind of result can you expect?
I'm very sorry for the accident. This is difficult and I admittedly don't have much experience in dealing with complex orbital/facial fractures. My suggestion is to seek the care of an experienced occuloplastics (a type of ophthalmologist) and plastic/reconstructive surgeon who both have experience in dealing with complex facial fractures.

Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Can latent strabismus come from wrong eye position, if one eye point inward? Or is it always due to eye muscles?