Eye Care Expert Forum
Sudden blurred vision after infection/Tobradex

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

After developing a mild eye infection as diagnosed by my optician (small clear "bubbles" that came and went on my eyelid where eye liner is applied, painful, scratchy eyes), he prescribed generic Tobradex drops which I used QID x 7D.  After using the drops and coming in for a follow-up visit the following week, my vision had drastically gotten worse (the first Wednesday I went in was the line below "20/20", and a few days ago on Wednesday it was 2 lines above "20/20").  I was concerned because I had not put the drops in for about 4 hours and didn't think it was from the milkiness of the drops.  I was told to wait a couple weeks to see if it got better.  Friday, today, I went to see an ophthalmologist, who after running vision tests, putting dye in my eye to see inflammation, etc, told me there was nothing "medically" wrong with my eyes, that he saw no signs of inflammation, irritation, or infection, and that my vision could be 20/20 if slightly corrected.  My lingering concerns which he could not seem to answer - 1) did the drops cause the blurred/worsened vision, 2) will it return back to my baseline vision, and if so, when?, 3) will it get worse?, 4) if not the drops, what is causing my vision to decline in a matter of 1 week?  I am an allergy sufferer, and have very bad sinus/allergy symptoms, but seem to get that every year.  Any thoughts?  I am very concerned about my vision continuing to get worse.
hi your eye is probably still healing. I would wait more time. If the epithelium of your cornea was affected by the infection, then this can drastically throw off your vision. the epithelium can take  days or weeks to recover or remodel and during this time your vision should improve. thanks
I was prescribed Tobradex after the optician couldn't figure out why my eye was showing symptoms of a blocked tear duct with the test coming back negative.  I did 4 drops a day for a week. I've been off the drops for 4 days now and my vision has gotten substantially worse. I'm worried that it won't clear up. I can't drive and can barely concentrate at work. I have my follow up tomorrow and I'm hoping they can give me good news. To make matters worse, the tobradex didn't help with my watery eye at all! :(
A related discussion, Lingering side effect of Tobradex? was started.