Eye Care Expert Forum
Time between cataract surgeries

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Time between cataract surgeries

Is there any downside to waiting for months before having your second cataract surgery? Can it usually work out pretty well to just have one new lens put into your glasses (for the operated eye) and then see how the eyes work together? I have bifocals now and think clear glass with a reading prescription might be fine until I have the other eye done in about 8 months.

Also, why can I read with my "naked" unoperated eye if I bring print about 8 inches away from my face, wheras I cannot read print at all with my operated eye? It sure makes getting drops in rather difficult! Will that change? I'm just 4 days post-op.
Your naked unoperated eye is significantly near sighted and that's why you can see up close at 8" and without glasses in front of this eye you are completely blurred. Your new eye is set for distance and is single focused at this distance. This is normal. Without glasses you will see at distance with the new eye and near with the naked eye. This won't hurt. If you want to update you glasses you may have some competition b/w the eyes but it wont hurt them, you just may not tolerate it well. A contact lens in the naked eye may be an option, too. Good luck and seek the care of a well trained Eye MD for your surgery.
There was a lapse of about three months between cataract surgery on my left (dominant) eye and on my right.  The disparity between vision was a little bothersome, but since I was nearsighted (as you are) I got along pretty well.

Best of luck!