Eye Care Expert Forum
Vision Shaping Treatment - when and why?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Our son (he's 15) went in for an eye exam and the eye doctor recommended he get B&L's Vision Shaping Treatment to correct a mild case of nearsightedness and astigmatism (botrh minor).

I have not heard of this process previously and am seeking a second opinion. My wife is interested in doing this but I'm skeptical - I not sure our eye doctor isn't sending us down a money lined alley.

I have slight astigmatism and am slightly far sighted, and my wife is near sighted and has a slight case of astigmatism. I believe our son received my wife's eye characteristics (she wears glasses most of the time).

Any recommendations or other ideas as to how to proceed?
Hello autoxsteve     As far as I can determine you are referring to a orthokeratometry (ortho-K) treatment using contact lens to TEMPORARILY reshape the cornes usually used to reduce the dependence on glasses for myopia.

I am not a betting person, but if I was I would bet a large sum of money that your "eye doctor" is an optometrist (non-physician, limited scope eye care provider). They push this type of treatment which is expensive and in the opinion of eye physicians (Eye MDs or ophthalmologists) is ineffective and not a worthwhile method of correcting visions.  It's like trying to get a new figure by wearing a girdle (if you remember what these are) every night.

In my opinion you would be better off and much richer financially to use glasses or contacts and when older and his prescription stable if he want to consider it LASIK.

I have had patients drop many thousands of dollars on ortho-K done elsewhere before they give up on it.

JUST SAY 'NO'.  

JCH III MD  Eye Physician and non-believer in ortho-k
JCH MD is right on track with his comments.  I agree and you should see an Eye MD in your area. Ask your son's pediatrician to recommend one.
A related discussion, Why FDA website can post untrue statement about Ortho-K was started.