Eye Care Expert Forum
Wart in inner eyelid?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Wart in inner eyelid?

I have had this unusual wart-like growth on my eyelid, in between my eye and the eyelid, near the oil glands. At first I thought it was a stye, and I treated it as such but it didn't go away. I decided lazily to see if it'd go away without treatment. Well, it hasn't, and it's been almost a year.. It's not unusually colored and hasn't grown in the past year, but I do believe that it could have spread to the opposite position on the other eyelid (where a very small growth appears to be beginning).

I already plan on having it surgically removed, if possible. My concern is permanent eyelid damage and/or scarring. Assuming I see an Opthamologist and they remove this relatively small 'growth' by way of a knife, what sort of scarring or other effects can I expect that aren't associated with the recovery? Will I be subject to it returning very soon, or will the remove cause damage to oil ducts resulting in blockage and infections, scarring, etc.

I hope to see the doctor soon about it, but it's got me concerned.
It all depends on the size and location. If it is quite small, I don't think you will have anything to worry about.  Regarding small benign lesions near the lid margin, they can usually be removed in the office with very little problems to worry about.  Honesly my only concern would be if it was half a centimeter or more then it can be more complex.  Of course, eyelid cancers like basal cell or squamous cell carcinomas occur more often than you think so it is important to make sure you don't have one of those.
That is just the kind of answer I was looking for! You are awesome. Thank you!