Eye Care Expert Forum
West Nile Virus and Eye problems

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

West Nile Virus and Eye problems

Became ill the beginning of July 2013 with various symptoms, but blurry vision was the first symptom. Vertigo, headaches and severe pressure in my head , vomiting, nausea, muscle weakness, mental confusion. Finally asked to be tested for West Nile Virus and was positive. Here in Canada our medical system is not experienced enough to understand, I am improving, but deal with blurry vision and a small area in the centre of my right eye that obstructs my vision, I constantly rub the eye in thinking that there is something there. Had my eyes re tested, new glasses and then went to see a eye specialist and was told nothing was wrong. Help there is something wrong and I am thinking that possibly due to the virus I could be dealing with a problem that could get worse.
What are your thoughts.
Thank you
You need to have an automated visual field test (automated perimetry) performed. This will reveal any visual defects or blurry areas in your vision. West Nile causes a "sterile" encephalitis (or brain inflammation). When the brain is inflamed, parts of the brain can be rendered dysfunctional for some time. This could include the visual pathway from the optic nerves, to the occipital lobes.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, Medical Doctor, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for your response. Called the Eye Clinic were I was examined and their response was that they would have checked the field of vision and therefore there is nothing wrong. I did not have the automated Visual field test done!!! Have booked the test with another Doctor with a Masters in Neuroscience so hopefully will get results.