Eye Care Community
Which IOL Should I Choose?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Which IOL Should I Choose?

Hi,

I am having cataract surgery on one eye next week. The other eye is myopic at -2.0. I can read with it and see at arm's length.

I have decided to go with a traditional IOL (fixed focus) but can't decide whether to choose one for intermediate vision or for distance. I would really like to be able to see clearly without glasses 3-5 feet away, like sitting across the table from someone or having a conversation.

I have worn glasses for my near-sightedness for many years and don't really mind but would really like to not have to wear them when talking to people or using my computer.

Any advice?
Esta
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
You can do your own research. There are many scores of extended discussion you can access with the search and archives.

We are all different. A good choice would be a aspheric monofocial IOL of high quality (Tecnis, Alcon, B&L) set for a goal of -1.00  coupled with your -2.00 in the other eye this would be "mini-monofocal with near/intermediate bias"

JCH MD
Blank
574673_tn?1234129578
I went with minimonovision with an intermediate focal distance for my nondominant eye and plan to eventually do my dominant eye for distance (currently wear a contact for distance). I can function quite well without glasses except for reading. I do have an astigmatism, that plays into things and the IOL (unless it is a toric) won't correct for that.  I liked not needing the glasses for distance after years of being very near sighted, but that is just my preference. I do think having intermediate distance is important since so many things are at that distance.
Good luck.
londonbridge
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
final comment. As a myope myself (about -2.50) I"m use to things being very clear up close and I often remove my glasses for reading or computer. I would much prefer to see clearly up close than at distance thus my "near" bias. Not everyone feels that way. Do remember that with monofocal IOL you are always robbing Peter to pay Paul. Any improvement at distance is acompanied by a worsening at near

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank