Eye Care Expert Forum
black spots and lines in vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

black spots and lines in vision
i've seen these for about 2 weeks now and they just wont go away, They move as i move my eyes and i only see them in bright places (like outside) .
Do as Dr. Goldstein recommended, and see an ophthalmologist ASAP!  Exercises will not help if you have a retinal tear or retinal detachment.
Black spots or floaters in the vision can be a sign of serious problems like retinal detachment or tearing. You need to call an eye doc asap and get an urgent appointment!
i actually talked to a doctor about this and she said it is not linked with my eyes and that this is happening because i'm not active, i spend most of my time on the computer ect. so i started doing some exercises. In about a week im going to get new glasses so i will ask the eye doc there about the problem.Does this sound ok or should i do it sooner ?
Hi Doctor,
i also suffer from eye floaters many years,is there any new medicine or any research so far?
Is there any hope the near future for all of us that we suffer?

regards
Panos
There is no medicine or eye exercise which will clear floaters.  They can only be removed with vitrectomy surgery.  This is NOT recommended unless there is a serious underlying condition causing the floaters, such as a retinal detachment or diabetic hemorrhage.  Floaters are normal with age and do not go away.  They are most visible against a light background, especially against the sky.  Most of the time I do not notice my floaters, unless I look for them.  A sudden dramatic increase in or shower of floaters always requires a careful dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist to rule out a retinal tear or retinal detachment.