Eye Care Community
blurred vision diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

blurred vision diagnosis

We had an appt. with a nuero opthalmologist at Cleveland Clinic Tuesday.  They did a thorough evaluation of my husband.  They even did an ultrasound of his left eye.  The doctor looked over my husbands films from the MRI and CT scan and agreed they looked good.  The doctor did some kind of test with his laser pen? that showed the difference between the left eye and the right eye.  On the right eye the laser went straight across smoothly in a straight line and the left eye wasn't smooth.  The doctor said he has a lenticular distortion- water cleft in the left eye.  He explained it is like a cataract.  He said the lens is 99% good.  He said he would definitely not remove his lens since 99% is good.  The blurriness is not bad, more annoying than anything else.  The doctor said he would have to adjust to the blurriness.  We really liked the doctor and felt comfortable with his diagnosis and recommendation.

My question is, do you know anything about this kind of problem and could you either explain it to me or give me a website to go to.  I tried googling lenticular distortion-water cleft and couldn't find anything.  My husband has said he can live with the blurriness.  Just curious is the removal of the lens similar to regular cataract surgery.

You have given some great advice to me before on my husband.  Here is a background on my husband again.

My husband has experienced blurred vision in his left eye, some dizziness, and headaches.  The headaches and dizziness are not constant.  The blurred vision came all of a sudden.  He was putting our daughter to bed and he remembers his eye itiching and then his eye was blurry.  This started the end of OCtober.  He has seen an opthalmologist twice.  On the first visit he told him he had a mild case of iritis.  (one cell?)  He prescribed Pred Forte 4x a day until we saw him again one week later.  The Dr. said discontinue gradually the Pred Forte because the iritis had cleared up.  Th opthalmologist said he saw no reason for his blurred vision and recommended we see our family doctor.  Our family doctor examined him and saw nothing either.  He ordered a CBC and Diff, CMP, and SED Rate.  All of the blood work came back normal.  We also did a CAT scan which came back normal.

He saw an ENT doctor who examined him and said everything looked normal as well.  He recently went to our optometrist for a yearly eye exam.  Upon completion of the visual field test, they said he was below normal limits and suggested that we have an MRI of the orbits and brain done.  The MRI came back normal.

Water clefting and the cortical cataracts they form are extremely common and represent no problem with removal. Here are some links that have pictures of water clefting: (long link but best pictures and they are labeled "water clefting"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.opt.indiana.edu/riley/HomePage/Age_related_Cats/graphics/graphic_watercleft.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.opt.indiana.edu/riley/HomePage/Age_related_Cats/2Text_age_related_cats.html&h=174&w=125&sz=9&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=uhARpz7TLPO4lM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=72&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwater%2Bcleft%2Bcataract%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

AND
http://www.drcilliers.com/images/cataract1.jpg

JCH III MD