Eye Care Expert Forum
conjunctivochalasis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

conjunctivochalasis
I've recently seen yet another eye doctor regarding my chronic red eye condition.  This one was an optometrist who suggested I have mild conjunctivochalasis based on him moving my conjunctiva a bit when he applied a q-tip.  I don't have any noticeable wrinkles.  I was referred to an optho who does surgery for this condition.

In general how successful or common is surgery for this condition?  How come the other opthalmologists I saw before didn't mention this?   Is it really that big a deal and a cause of red eye?  I was always told it was dry eye syndrome.
It is somewhat of a controversial diagnosis when it comes to milder cases.  More severe cases and their effects on symptoms have only been more recently starting to get adequately addressed by ophthalmologists.  You should investigate whether the optometrist and ophthalmologist you are being referred to have a financial interest in common (one refers to the other and gets a kickback in return for "comanagement fees").  If the surgeon recommends surgical treatment, seek a second opinion.  Not too many doctors do this kind of surgery which may involve either cutting a piece of the conjunctiva out or burning spots on the conjunctiva to induce shrinkage so I'm not sure what the success rates are.  You will need to ask the individual surgeon what their success and complication rates are.  Hope that helps.

HV
Thank you Dr Vosoghi.  The optometrist and ophthalmologist are in 2 separate offices, and the optometrist did say the referral was only to talk about possible surgical options.  

I looked online and like you said very few doctors do this, although I did find info on one doctor who seems to have published a lot of papers on this based out of Miami.  

A follow-up question is since this is controversial what are the main indications for surg?  I'm sure lots of people have mild cases of this, but is it done when there is a lot of discomfort/pain?  Or for redness of that part of the eye?  I certainly have a lot of discomfort but I always assume that was my dry eye syndrome, which I definitely have in addition to this.