Eye Care Expert Forum
cross eyed

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

cross eyed

I woke up the other morning with my eyes like they were crossed, but really weren’t. I was really dizzy and lightheaded and nauseas with it, went to the ER and the doctor ran an MRI and a Cat scan, both came back normal! Blood work was good but my left eye did not track he said. It lasted for a few hours and I was totally terrified!

Went to Eye Doctor and he did some tests and all was normal too?

Any ideas what this could be? I have been fighting dizziness for a very long time now, but it’s to the point I don’t want to venture out anymore! I know it’s not anxiety, because you don’t just start seeing crossed eye and lose your balance. The eye doctor thinks it may be a form of migraine, but I had no pain, nothing!
There are causes of intermittent eye crossing. The most important ones to rule out would be stroke (done by ER doctor) and diabetes. Was your blood sugar normal? Other causes can be migraines without the headache and rare eye muscle spasm disorders. You need to see an M.D. Ophthalmologist who specializes in Strabismus.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Yes, I had all those tests done in ER and all came back negative. I did see an Ophthalmologist who did tests too and all came back okay. My eyes were great.
I do have a history of migraines, but usually w/ spot blindness and severe headaches. Come usually 3- 4 times per year.
My eye crossing vision lasted for several hours, which really freaked me out. My blood sugar was checked every 2 hours and was all well too. I have no diabetes nor history of it.
Thank you for your time and help. This is really worrying, ever since I have had the vision crossing I have had severe lightheadiness. I am not sure if vertigo could be linked to double vision though?
Yes vertigo can be linked. Balance from the middle ear and eye movements are all centrally controlled in the brainstem. If the middle ear is giving wrong info, then eye crossing may occur. I hope you find a diagnosis and treatment soon.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
www.tmcgaritymd.com
www.facebook.com/tmcgaritymd