Eye Care Expert Forum
eye dominance, monovision after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My right eye is -2.5 with an IOL, and my left eye is about -4 with a cataract.  When I test for dominance without glasses by focusing on a distant object, my right eye is dominant.  If I wear my glasses, which correct my distance vision in both eyes, and do the same test, my left eye is dominant.  I think my left eye is my sighting eye.  

I would like to know which eye is dominant because I will be getting cataract surgery in my left eye, and I am considering getting monovision by having it corrected for full distance vision.

thank you.

You really need to spend some time with your doctor to determine which eye is dominant.  I personally as a surgeon would not correct the left eye for distance unless I was absolutely certain it was your dominant eye and even then I would still not be sure you would tolerate the monovision.  Why don't you have your doctor put a -4 contact in the left eye and have you try it for a while.  That would be your best bet.  If you like it, then it probably doesn't matter what the dominace test shows.
Have your cataract surgeon determine which eye is dominant.  Full monovision is not usually recommended for people who have never tried it with contacts.  About 25% of those who try full monovision can't adjust to it.  Mini-monovision is a safer choice.
A related discussion, non dominate eye for distance IOL was started.