Eye Care Expert Forum
jones tube problems

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

jones tube problems

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with herpes simplex in my left eye. After several months it went away, and I haven't had many break outs since then. A couple years afterwards I was told that I have a blocked tear duct, which causes my eye to constantly tear up. They said the only thing that could be done was to have a minor surgery to place a jones tube in the corner of my eye. So I had the first surgery done, piece of cake. A couple weeks later, it came out. I had another surgery to place it back in, piece of cake. Couple weeks later, it came out. So they determined that I have a deviated septum and that there wasn't enough room for the tube. So I had a septoplasty [sp?], and a couple months later I had the surgery to place the jones tube in again.
It's been a little less than 2 years since I had that last surgery, and the tube has worked extremely well.
About three days ago I noticed that it didn't seem to be draining as well, so I took a look at my eye, and it seemed that skin had started to grow around the tube. By the next day, the opening in the tube was completely covered and no longer working. We called the doctor, and the earliest they can get me in is next Thursday.
My eye has been extremely red the past two days, probably due to me dabbing away the tears. Today it has started to feel a little sore, which may also be due to me dabbing.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of any cases like this, and how dangerous this is and the chances of it still working.
Jones tube surgery is NEVER "little, tiny or simple" (as you found out). I would suggest calling the answering service of the Eye MD that did the surgery, asking for advise, seeing if you can get in Monday and ask them to consider calling in a prescription for an antibiotic eye drop and ointment to use until you are seen in the office. You can also use warm compresses.

Yes it is possible to "rescue" the tube in a situation like this.

JCH MD
I have had a watery eye for two years now, and am going to have the Jones tube.  I have been reading about the Tube and am now scared to death, and am wondering if I should deal with a wet eye instead of the tube.  Is there anyone out there that has had a good experience with the tube?  
Speak up folks.  (for the record I have probably 8-10 patients that have had good results out of perhaps a dozen that have had the procedure).

JCH MD
I had a jones tube placed in my right eye Aug. 11.  It is still tearing, but worse.  My eye is red and very scratchy.  I also see a filmy substance in the corner of the eye where this tube was placed.  Is this scar tissue?  I put up with a teary eye for two years before I had this procedure done.  I am now wishing I had never heard of a jones tube.  I am very frightened.  I went back to the Dr. on Aug.13, and he could not flush out the tube.  He told me it was still swollen and to keep using the ice pack.  This is my eyesight I am worried about.   Can anyone help me?  
It's still early. You should not be seeing scar tissue this early.

JCH MD
I had my post op today nine days after jones tube surgery.  The Dr. did flush the tube and it is in theory working, but my tears will not flow down the tube.  They still run down my cheek.  I found out the bump under my eye, close to the corner where the tube was placed, is the fluted end of the tube.  If  I wipe my eye and I hit this spot, it is quite painful.  He could not explain why my eye was not draining into the tube.  I am to go back in one week.  Thanks you  for your comments.  karen
I was born without a tear duct in my right eye. Throughout childhood, especially summers, I had trouble with infections and blurry vision. Plus, the general teasing of peers because it often looked like I was crying.  As I got older, the skin under my eye became red and sore. When I was in my 40's, I had a Jones tube inserted along with a repair of a deviated septum. On the plus side, the tube stopped the tears from flowing down my face for about 8 years. On the negative side, the corner of my eye  was painful to touch and the tube was noticeable.  I also had trouble with infections especially if I went swimming. I went back to the surgeon last year because of the infections and he pulled the tube out. His theory was that the opening left by the tube would continue to drain.  The first few months after the removal, my tears did drain though the opening left by the tube. But it stopped this summer. I am back to a teary eye and blurry vision in the morning. I am considering having a second tube. I was hoping that there were some advances to the surgery in the last ten years - but there doesn't seem to be any.
A related discussion, Jones Tubes was started.
A related discussion, Jones Tube was started.
A related discussion, Jones Tubes and recovery was started.