Eye Care Expert Forum
lightning flashes in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

lightning flashes in eye

I started having lightning flashes in eye lst night.  Called to make apt with eye doctor and cant get in until monday...that is 3 days from now...everything i have read says to go imediately..should i go to er,  i have a headache, not as bad as a migrane (migraine), but it is starting to scare me.  especially after all that i have read...they all say go right away to dr,  dont know if that means immediately or wait the 3 days .
No way to tell from your description what the cause is. Ideally discuss your symptoms over the phone with the ophthalmologist on call.

JCH MD
What you had is probably an occular migraine.  They can be nothing or serious and as I am not a doctor can not tell you.  I would however go to the ER now and not in 3 days.  It is probably nothing serious but it is better to check it out now that not do anyting
You need to talk to an eye md immediately. Go to www.aao.org and find the retina specialist closest to you. These doctors have an answering service or a 24 hour contact.
Please call and you will feel better. The doctor will see you if he thinks something immediate is going on. I have been on a Saturday, and a Sunday.

If there is no retinologist close by, call an ophthalmologist. lf you go to an ER, go to one who will call an eye MD.