Eye Care Expert Forum
mon vs multifocal implant for cataract

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

mon vs multifocal implant for cataract
I play lots of tennis and am very active at 61.  I need to decide whether to have Re Stor or monofocal IOL for my cataract surgery.

I read lots of people who don't have clear vision with ReStor--including my husband.  What do you recommend for the active person?  I have worn contacts for 40+ years and will continue to do so in one eye until it needs cataract surgery; then I will have the same IOL put into that eye that I decide on for this first one.

LJ
For athletic type vision Where you need good hand eye coordination I would go monofocal aspheric with distance distance or possibly mild minimonovision.  Restor would likely make it tricky to play under the lights at night.  Finally didn't you just say your husband would not recommend it?
I would keep away from multifocals(MF). Mini-mono vision should give you 2 out of three fields- all clear. I had the so-called state of the art MF(Lentis Mplus) three and half months ago. The only good vision I get from these is in good natural day light. Nighttime is a nightmare with halos, starbursts etc.