Eye Care Community
posterior vitreous detachment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

posterior vitreous detachment

Hi,  I met with my retinal specialist the other day. He told me that exercise, air travel, lifting, etc. has no bearing upon floaters or further retinal problems.  If something is to happen, it isnt because i caused it.  I have heard varying opinions on this subject.  As I have a pvd that is apparently not yet complete, I am worried about this.  I am going out of the country in about a month.  He has advised that I should not cancel my travel plans.  Do you have any thoughts on this regarding this as I would like to go on with my vacation and everyday life.
The "controversy" is based on rumour rather than fact and you should not modify your daily activities. There is some sense in avoiding things that can suddenly jerk your head, i.e. amusement park rides etc but, in general, exercise and air travel is perfectly safe. There is evidence that weight lifting can raise intra-occular pressure but if you execute lifts properly, this should be minimal. You have to live your life!  
Thank you for your response.  I do appreciate whatever information and knowledge that I anyone can offer.  Take Care.
If the vitreous gel is "sticky" to your retina, a tear will form as it separates from the retina
no matter what you do. A rapidly jerky movement might make that event happen sooner than it would have otherwise happened. If there is no adhesive sticky area it won't happen no matter what you do.
Thank you.  Is there a "safe" period that if it were to happen, it would have by a certain time period.  I have heard 6 weeks.  Dont know if that is accurate.
6 weeks is the usual advice. After this, you are said to be out of the woods so to speak.
6 weeks is the period of time referencing current symptoms but the vitreous separation process can take 18 to 24 months usually.