Eye Care Expert Forum
secondary cataract

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

secondary cataract
AFTER CATERACT SURGERY  A MONTHE AGO [BOTH EYES] I DEVELOPED "SECONDARY CATARACTS" BEHIND THE NEW IMPLANTS. DO THEY  DISSOLVE IN TIME OR MUST I GET THE LASER SURGERY [YAG]? THX
Dear ardis278,

Secondary cataracts represent an opacification of the membrane behind the implant.  I would recommend that you be followed to determine whether this is indeed reducing your vision.  If they are, then laser surgery is indicated.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

WHAT IS THE ANSWER?==THEY ARE ALSO CALLED "POSTERIOR CAPSULE OPACITY" THX
If you google either "secondary cataract" or "Posterior Capsular Opacification", you will find mountains (as in tons) of information about this, and almost every site will give you the same easy answer.