Eye Care Expert Forum
something moving

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

something moving
Quite freqently I have the sensation of something moving in the corner of my eye and when I turn to look theres nothing there. This is clearly an internal optical illusion. What causes this?

The most likely cause is a vitreous floater or small speck of debris which floats in the vitreous gel and casts a small shadow on the retina. People with floaters sometimes say, it is like seeing a small bug just out of the corner of their eye and then it disappears when they go to look at it. Please see an ophthalmologist if you have new or different floaters or flashes of light, pain, or loss of vision. Again, this is just my best guess but I cannot tell exactly without seeing you in person.

MJK MD
Dear jim509,

I recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD and have your retina checked. Once in a while, this may represent a retinal detachment or floater, due to posterior vitreous detachment.  If you experience a sudden increase in the number of floaters, a peripheral curtain or a flashing light, you require immediate treatment.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California