Eye Care Expert Forum
stationary objects appear to be moving

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

stationary objects appear to be moving
I was laying on the floor stretching out after my walk looking at the ceiling and noticed that it looked like it was moving away from me.  why is this happening?  I am 48 and have always been active and watch what I eat.  
thank you !
I can't be sure and am purely speculating, but suspect that your focusing muscles may have beein going through some spasms or difficulty relaxing or perhaps when you lied on your back you developed some horizontal nystagmus type eye movements that lasted a bit.  Overall, I'm really not sure.  If it happens again, tell your ophthalmologist about it and have a check up.

Michael Kutryb, MD
not to impose but your question concerns me a little.... take a piece of criss crossed draft paper and look at it closely.  If the lines look like a fishnet under water go to an opthamologist right away.  That was what I did and it turned out to be retinal problems.  You never know