Eye Care Expert Forum
stringy eye discharge

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

stringy eye discharge
For the past 3 years, I have had this stringy stuff come out of my eyes. It's not discharge like you would get from pink eye or a cold in the eye. It's just constant, white, sometimes clear string that I pull out of my eyes. Sometimes I can be pulling and I feel it pull from behind my eyeball. My family thinks that I'm weird cause I'm always messing with my eyes. If I put in visene, the sand-like feeling goes away for a minute but always comes right back.
Dear CC32,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause. IT is possible that you have an infection, inflammation of the conjunctiva of the eye.  Treatment may be indicated.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
You likely have mucus fishing syndrome.  It is a vicious cycle of mucus gland hypersecretion that is perpetuated by mechanical stimulation of the glands by fingers.  It often starts due to mild dry eye or allergy.  Seek the care of a good eyeMD and research it for your own benefit.
hi
i too have this problem and made worse by putting my fingers in my eye to get it out, i have been to see a ophtholomist today, he says i do have dry eyes and some imflamation, gave me drops for both. Dr Feldman above is spot on!
hope it gets easier for you as i know it drives me to distraction! linda