Eye Care Expert Forum
vasculitis in the eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

vasculitis in the eyes

I have recently been diagnosed with vasculitis in both eyes. I was just back in to see the doctor for another fleurosine test and it found that my blood vessels have started to bleed out. It has been suggested by the doctor that inflammation of the blood vessels in the eyes would also assume inflammation in the brain. However, the MRI was clear.
I have been put on Cellcept and Prednisone. They are going to wein me off of the Prednisone once I am up to the highest dosage of Cellcept which is 2000mg a day. I am starting at 500mg for 5 days, then 1000mg for 5 days, blood work, and then 2000mg.
Most websites don't speak specifically about vasculitis of the eyes. All autoimmune disease tests came up negative. I want to know more about this disease. I also have several other issues with my eyes including Chronic Uveitis and Pars planitis, and a few more.
What I would like to know is if its possible the MRI didn't catch an inflammation, and if I will die from this?

Dear mh41602,

I would recommend that you specifically ask your eyeMD about your diagnosis and its prognosis.  Do you have a systemic disease which requires involvement of additional doctors?  This should help you learn more about your condition.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

There was no systemic disease found. I was tested for every systemic disease known to man. Nothing was found. I see a Uveitis specialist, a Retinal Specialist who is my regular eye doctor, my PCP, and a Rheumatologist who handles my meds. Can you give me some websites or information on Vasculitis of the eyes?  Has anyone ever died from this?