Eye Care Community
white lump on eyeball

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

white lump on eyeball

5316760?1264682727

My 2 year old son has developed a white lump on his eyeball (maybe could have been caused by one of his toy cars).

I took him to the paediatrician who said it was conjunctivitis and gave him some eye drops. But a week later and the redness and lump are still there and I'm not convinced that it is (just) conjunctivitis.

A quick Google suggests it could be 'pinguecula' - but he is not of 'old age' near do we live in tropical climes or other such high UV area (listed as in common with this condition).

Then again it could be both those conditions (because now my eye has subsequently also become red/sore, though there are no white lumps on mine).

I put some photos here, I'd be interested in a second opinion.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=tiff.shaw&target=ALBUM&id=5431712448167979921&authkey=Gv1sRgCLaUl6a5pfaXRg&feat=email

If it is Pinguecula do you know if it is here for life or will it fade away?

Many thanks

Chris
-=-=-=
I am assuming that this is a new problem, and not a worsening of a long-standing white bump.  It is unlikely to be a pingueculum.  It could be a phlyctenule.  In any event, get him to a pediatric ophthalmologist for treatment.  You can find one near you at aapos.org.
thanks for the reply - yes it is a new problem.
today it does seem that the bump is going down (phew!) so it is indeed unlikely to be pingueculum.

It seems that the fusidic acid based drops are finally working!