Family Health Expert Forum
Effects of sinus infection

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Effects of sinus infection

I am a 42 year old woman diagnosed with a sinus infection in September 2002. After three courses of antibiotics the sinus infection has not cleared up. Recently I started sinus irrigation which moderately improves my symptoms such as headache, neck pain, back and shoulder muscle pain and what seems like chest anxiety,(not severe). I also have taken claritan for the last eight days and I feel better slightly. What is happening? Do I have allergies or can all these symptoms be attributed to the chronic sinus infection.The symptoms can be debilitating at times, where I can not effectively think because of fatigue. What other steps should I take? The muscle pain and head seem to appear randomly worse during the day but I have yet to tie it to food, drink or activity. HELP!!!
Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.

When I hear of sinus infections that persist despite repeated courses of antibiotics, I begin to think of Gastroesophageal Reflux. Think of it like this, acid ... if it comes up out of the stomach into the esophagus (food tube), can, along with causing irritation of the membranes of the esophagus, cause the release of "gas". This gas has been linked to irritation of the throat and nasal passages. I have seen MANY cases where acid reducing medications such as "Nexium" or "Prevacid" along with dietary modifications have significantly improved chronic sinus problems.

In regard to the chest symptoms you describe ... this too goes along with acid reflux. An EKG would be a good idea to be on the safe side to make sure your heart was ok.

Talk with your doctor about possibly treating you for acid reflux. It is certainly worth a try. I am sure after over 3 months of these symptoms you are getting very frustrated.
I read the comment about the 42 yr old woman who has had sinus problems for several months.  Well, I am a 37 yr old (overweight, which is partly the problem) who has had "sinus problems" for over 7 months now.  I was just diagnosed today to having Acid Reflux, after taking 6 different antibiotics, that didn't work, sinus surgery and allergy testing consisting of 76 needle sticks.  I never would have thought about Reflux causing such problems.
ellie dog,
           I sufferd for 20 years  not knowing  what was going on .thousands of test`s et.In short.i did the same things you have done  a thousand times  over.the doc is  right  but I have more to add.As far as sinus irragation you can do it if it helps but i bet you don`t get that much out of  it . A few things are you active  sports  jog work out at all.?what   do you  do  for  work  ? hows  your home enviorment. Are you around   chemicals  molds  plant ect. That stuff  will ruin your day.I just had finnally got some answers .yeah ,you feel  beat , worn, tired.Do you have trouble sleeping  ,up alot  in the night . or  just not good  sleep still  tired in the morning .Ok,DO you feel  boated after  eating at all ?Have you had your sinuses cleaned surgically  yet .You have to find someone good ?That will  help  ,but   as the doc says  acid reflux.Try prevacid for a couple of weeks you  need a script .ekg  is  good  idea but they did a cathorization on me that showed nothing .Do you have trouble breathing also  .I `m thinking you are in the early stage of  me .It gets  worse but  you may  get lucky .i`m on the right trail it seems .Do you have dental  work  root canals  bridges  ect?Thats important also ??? ant recent ....Nexium  won`t cut it .I tried it ..Prevacid is the way to go for a start.This  dr. is pretty  smart   where was he in 1985?I had the worst chest symtoms (symptoms) you can get so bad they sent me for a cathorazation because they thought I had a blockage,wrong !I used to get  headaches so bad I couldn`t work I used to just cry.After i had my sinuse cleaned  headaches gone .You can  get  arm pain  from this acid reflux thing  too .i have not licked mine yet but we are currently addressing .I`m in nj  I `ll try and keep you posted .Also a cat scan with tint will tell alot ! I`d get that done to loose the headaches first .then use the prevacid  your day will be 100 % better for now .I`m trying to find a total  cure .Any questions i`m robert   my email is ***@**** I don`t  check this much.....good  luck  .ALso any antihytemine will make you feel better but it`s only temporary .....
ellie dog,
Please please can someone help me
In april i kept getting really dry throat etc, Then developed a cold, then post nasal drip constantly!!! I was given 7 days of Co-amoxclav then it still has not gone so i went back to my GP he priscribed (prescribed) another 10 days of 500mg Co-amoxclav, then After symptoms did not diassaper he sent me for sinus x-ray this confirmed Thickend Mucus membranes at which point my DR refered me to a ENT. Saw the ENT three weeks ago who after allery testing confirmed non-allergic rhinitis. He prescribed a nose spray called Nasex. I am still suffering with terrible headaches like a pressure like pain across my forehead, Thick clear mucus, occasionally it's yellow ish. I have resigned from my job as I have been taking too many sick days and im really at my wits end. I have tried many different brand of antihitimines and I have alos tried many herbal remidies including apple cider vinigar and I wash out my sinus daily with baking soda and sea salt. The only temporary relief I get is taking Sudafed.
Forgot to mention that when i saw the ENT I also had a CT scan, The results only showed slight thickening............................ I also get a pain in my neck underneath my ear lobes that feels like my ears are full................occasional face pressure both sides (although never at the same time!) Please plase can anybode help me im getting desperate im not due to see the speciallist until November again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT TAKE ANYMORE OF THIS HEADACHE