Family Health Expert Forum
GROIN PAIN

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

GROIN PAIN

I have a pain in the pelvic area just above and to the right of the base of my penis. It started as a dull pain infrequently mainly when I sit at my desk and lean forward but now it is a little more frequent ( not constant ) and feels more like a burning you might experience with stretched skin or pulled muscle. No lumps or swelling that I can detect and no other problems with urination or testicular pain. It got worse just recently after a trip to Mexico where I experienced a little constipation and had trouble with bowel movement causing extra straining. In unrelated ( I think )  I have experienced for some time pain in my hip and groin at right leg that feels like joint pain. As I said , I'm not sure it is relaated. I am 44 , just turned and in pretty good shape. I should say that it is mostly when my scrotum is pushed up when sitting and moving , or I can cause the pain by lifting my scrotum on the left side but not slightly , it has to be considerable. Thank you, any advice would be appreciated
Common causes of groin pain in men include a groin strain (muscular), hernias, and hip disorders (eg early arthritis).  Groin pulls can take many weeks to resolve and require rest from any aggravating activity (sports), anti inflammatories, and stretching exercises.  
Because you are also having hip problems, they may be related.  If your symptoms are not improving or are getting worse, you should see your doctor for an examination and possible further testing, to see if your groin pain may be related to your hip, or be due to a hernia or some other cause.  Also see your doctor if you are getting any new symptoms, such as swelling, lumps, or painful urination.

JMK MD
Good Luck,

I have been going to doctors for ten years with no specific answers for the same thing.  It could be worse, my brother-law had a problem and went to see lots of doctors for several years. They told him that they couldn't find any problems and was fine. Today he is dieing of stage 4 cancer that they couldn't find until it spread to his liver and his liver started to fail. They found it when he was 50 years old.

I know that there are many good doctors, but most doctors are stumped if something doesn't jump out at them from a test. Just keep getting checked. Hopefully they find out what is going on before it is too late like him.