Family Health Expert Forum
Low body temperature and a sea of symptoms

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I am an 18 year old male who was healthy until I acquired mono nine months ago that affected my liver, which I overcame. Since then I've been stuck with a bad case of post-nasal drip, semi-swollen lymph nodes, my urine has never really quite returned to normal (although the numerous tests have all been completely normal and it's not dark whatsoever like it was), and my hemoglobin, hematocrit, and RBCs were slightly high since. My RBCs were 5.72 which is .1 above the highest normal and my hemoglobin is 18.1 which is also .1 above the normal range.

Anyway, two months ago I experienced some numbness and tingling on the bridge of my nose that lasted for three days, light sensitivity, diarrhea almost every morning (although most of the time not liquid), appearance of new floaters, and I began to run a lower temperature than normal (97.4 at night). At one point I had blood in my phlegm in the mornings and hawked out a pretty large chunk of sticky dark red blood which I went to the ER for. There have been no traces of blood since and I do not have a cough. The tingling really has not appeared since either, but the vision and temperature changes are still here. I went to the doctor the other day and my temperature was 97.3 in the morning and then the next day at another doctor's appointment it was 96.8 through a different thermometer at 3:30 PM. I have always been at least 97.8 or 9 and that is not normal for me. My forehead is consistently cold, especially when I sweat.

I've had a brain MRI (no pituitary MRI though) with contrast, spine MRI without contrast, chest x-ray, chest CT scan without contrast, full eye exam, and a CT scan of my abdomen without contrast. The only findings aside from the  secondary polycythemia so far have been: high triglycerides (once, most recent), slightly high WBC (once, most recent). My thyroid was in the normal range (albeit low-normal). Could a pituitary tumor cause this? What could be the culprit?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hii Samuel,
Why on the earth are you thinking about Pitutary tumor? Just forgot about it.
All are related to the first severe attack if Mono, which has led to the hypersensitivity reaction.
Your cells have become hyperactive, due to which there is a high reaction to any of the stimuli.
Try to keep yourself away from dust and other sort of allergies.
Best way out is to have a Allergy testing done, which would help you to understand the agents responsible for the same.
Please discuss, if you h ave any specific query.
Regards
I mentioned pituitary tumor because of the low body temperature. I know that the pituitary gland is responsible for temperature regulation.