Family Health Expert Forum
Pigmentation of the eye

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Pigmentation of the eye

I have this light brown pigmentation on my left eye. I believe it developed when I was in my early teens. I have read about this and I realize it is common for darker skinned or black races. I am Caucasian and I also happen to be blind in this eye. I was born blind in my left eye and I am concerned about this pigmentation due to that fact. It may have no connection but it worries me. Also, I have a "lazy eye" and I was curious if anyone could tell me how much it would cost to fix this issue surgically? I've been told that wearing glasses could solve the lazy eye problem but I don't believe that's possible. If I can't see out of my eye, how would wearing glasses fix the problem? i wore glasses for years as a child and it seemed to make the problem worse. It seems that anything close to my eye makes it move outward more.
Hi, thanks for your query.  Pigmentation in itself is not a cause for concern if it is not growing in size, bleeding or painful.   Treatment of lazy eye depends on the cause. Some have been reversible with conservative management while some do require surgical treatment. However few have remained uncorrected. It would be better if you could explain what your symptoms are and the cause of lazy eye.
Take care
I have always been told that there is no real cause for my lazy eye other than the fact that I am blind in that eye. As I explained above, I was born blind in my left eye and this is the same eye that is "lazy." I don't  believe it's possible for anything to correct it but surgery as wearing glasses to train my eye will not work because I have absolutely no vision in this eye. The optic nerve didn't connect to my brain as I was developing in utero. Therefore I can't see anything, not light or darkness. Thank you though, I will no longer worry about the pigmentation in my eye unless it grows or becomes bothersome.