Family Health Expert Forum
Strong dizziness and weak when hungry doc cannot explain..

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

About two weeks ago, I started to get dizzy and experienced heart burn for two weeks.  Each time I would eat, I would have bowel movement within 5 to 10 minutes.  Stool was slight clumped and some days dierreha.

At this point, when I'm hungry is loose my sense of balance, my vision is blurred and objects loose depth perception.  I also feel tingling at the tip of my fingers. I have constant pressure on my forehead.  My stool has not been normal for about a week, it's either light browningish or extremely dark kaki.  I have also a lot of gas.  I'm very concerned because my symptoms are getting worse.

I believe there is a link between my digestive problem and my neurological symptoms. As each time I get hungry the strong dizziness hits me almost to a point of passing out without food comsuption.

As soon as I eat, I get better but the process repeats again when if I go hungry.

My doctor already checked my glucose level. I'm going to have a 2 hours glucose test tomorrow. At this point he is not sure of what is causing these symptoms.

I'm not experiencing any regular pain anywhere.

Thank you.
Difficult to say without examination.

Uncommon conditions like carcinoid syndrome can lead to flushing and dizziness after eating.  This can be tested by a urine test looking for 5-HIAA.  

Regarding the abdominal symptoms, you can consider a upper endoscopy to look for ulcers, inflammation or GERD.  An ultrasound can investigate the liver and gallbladder.

Stool changes should always be taken serious - and can be evaluated with a lower endoscopy.

If the GI workup is negative, I suggest obtaining a neurology referral for your symptoms.  Imaging with an MRI can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Another symptom that I'm now experiencing is feeling of burning & tingling on my feet and tip of fingers.
Can you elaborate on the Uncommon conditions like carcinoid syndrome can lead to flushing and dizziness after eating. This can be tested by a urine test looking for 5-HIAA.

I actually get dizzy before eating, thank you.
hello, i also have feelings of faintness and weakness with neurological symptoms during and after eating, not to mention feeling dizzy and sometimes faint before and or during defecation. these symptoms have not been identified by any of my physicians and i'm quite fed up.  i wish i had answers.  if any one has a diognosis or at least similar symptoms, please post.

my name's kiku
Hi, i have recently been eeling the same and much more. I can also feel blood flowing through my veins, i am also feeling weak and sometimes feel as though i am tired and breathless when i talk. I am feeling ill all over. Loss of apetite and sleep. Doctor reckons it is stress as i have had hectic 4 weeks. But it feels as though there is definetly physically wrong. I am slightly aneamic and low on vit d. But she doesn't think that is connected. i wish i had answers too because its something i am feeling every second 4 the past 4 weeks. i don't like bright light and sudden movements make my head rush. i hope you get answers. my worry is that when they dont have answers they get them all at once when you end up in A&E. I have decided to make sure i am getting plenty of rest eating good foods check my own levels of blood pressure and drink plenty of water. Take multi vitamins and work on things that make you feel better. Keep a record and find patterns. Then go back and stress to your doctor for some support! Best wishes Aysha
A related discussion, Same symptoms was started.