Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Are my cycles anovulatory?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Are my cycles anovulatory?

I was pregnant in summer 2008, but sadly miscarried at 8.5 weeks.

Since then, I have been trying to conceive again, but without success.

I have noticed that my cycles are irregular, which I know can be common following a miscarriage, however I am starting to wonder whether I'm ovulating regularly or not.

The last cycle I had was 35 days long. I noticed a large quantity of EWCM on CDs 20 and 21, then on CD22 my nipples became sore and I got constipated (high progesterone can slow down digestion). These symptoms lasted for the rest of my cycle, so I had no doubt that I ovulated on CD21.

I am now on CD23, and have had no signs of ovulation at all this time. My nipples feel normal, no constipation and I've had no EWCM whatsoever. It occurred to me that the cycle before my 35 day ovulatory cycle was only 30 days long, and I was taken completely by surprise when I got my period as I had no premenstrual symptoms beforehand.

I'm starting to suspect that the period after my 30 day cycle was a false "withdrawal" bleed as a result of anovulation - hence the lack of symptoms - and the cycle that I'm on now might be the same. If that's the case then I could be expecting my period in about a week.

I recently asked my doctor to check me for PCOS, as I show a lot of the symptoms (acne, weight problems, excess hair etc) but she didn't think there was anything wrong with me, because in her view the fact that I got pregnant last summer "proves" that I'm ovulating. I'm not sure if that's really fair - to me that only proves that I ovulated in that particular cycle.

Does anybody have experience of anovulatory cycles that they can share with me? Do they tend to be shorter / less symptoms than cycles when you do ovulate?
My annovulatory cycles on average tend to be longer. Most are much longer. Only one was shorter. Have you tried bbt to see if you get a temp shift? If it is PCOS, opks can be deceiving. But, combined with bbt can paint a better picture.