Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Infertility and suspected yeast or bacterial infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I have recently had a smear test and asked the nurse to test me for other kinds of infection that affect fertility. I have always had bad odour discharge especially after intercourse and have suffered from infections in the past (diagnosed by tests in a different country). Could this affect my fertility (trying for over a year now) I was expecting the test result to come up with some form of report or analysis (like it did in the past) but I only got "It's all normal" from the doctor. I also feel pain high up in the sides of my abdomen after intercourse and wondered if my husband has an infection. He had a sperm test (also "normal") but they don't test for infection, that needs to be done separately!. I asked about the strong odour and the doctor suggested I used Balance Activ gel. I am quite confused (why did she suggest the gel? the test is "normal") and desperate to conceive as I am already 44. I conceived my first child at 391/2 after 5 months and remember that around that time I took something (possible antibiotic) to clear a bacterial infection then and so did my husband. Is it worth using this gel or am I dreaming? Do I have to stop trying to conceive while using the gel? I had a progesterone test in June and was around 50 (apparently normal). I am due for a oestrogen and thyroid test when my nest period comes which is next month.But time is ticking over and I feel that I am going nowhere. I am generally healthy but am wondering if my age, or husband taking too many pain killers and is always stressed, or some blockage in the tubes which I am not sure when my GP is going to refer me to be tested for. I am surprised how there is very little understanding or appropriate, more urgent handling of infertility issues for older women. Is going privately a better or only option? Could a course of antibiotics for both partners help anyway? Do I need a doctor's prescription?How can I be sure that I am ovulating? Is the urine test stick adequate? What if the hormone is high but the egg cannot travel down the tubes? Why do I feel pressure type pain in there after intercouse which makes me feel that something is not right for conceiving.