Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Timing IUI after LH surge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Timing IUI after LH surge

I had my second IUI today at 1pm after detecting my LH surge at 7am.   I'm worried this is too early and the sperm will die before I actually ovulate.  I've been reading recently that frozen sperm only live about 6 - 12 hours after insemination.  Also, I've read to time IUI 24 hrs after the first LH surge.   However, because I timed my IUI 24 hrs after surge last month and it wasn't successful I decided to time it on the same day this time. I am now very worried it was too early.  Has anyone had their IUI on the same day as LH surge and had a successful pregnancy?  (Took 100 mg of Clomid and today is day 14 of my cycle also).
I have just done my first IUI cycle and also had timing concerns which I posted in the 'ask a doctor forum' under fertility. You can actually ovulate from 12-36 hours after LH surge. I did mine about 27 hours after my LH surge and I believe this was too late. I would have prefered to do it like you on the same day. My doctor did however tell me that sperm can live for 24-48 hours after the insemination, so it would seem that doing it on the same day would be right. I did some reading on the internet and I found that generally most clinics will scedule an IUI on the same day as a positive LH surge or 36 hours after a trigger shot.